Rumor: Apple may hold iPod media event on Sept. 8

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Of the last three Apple products I have bought, two have been iPods and the other was a Macbook pro.

I am not interested in the iPhone as there are better alternatives that offer better value.

I am still using my 3rd gen iPod classic.

I really think they should make the nano bigger again. The small form factor of the current one is just gimmickry for it's own sake that actually detracts from usability and the 'user experience'. About this time last year I went to some effort to track down a refurbished 4th gen nano for my daughter because the current one is rubbish. You would have thought Apple would have learned a lesson from the previous shuffle that was made too small.

If Apple were to release an iPod Touch with a big HD in it, I would buy one in a hurry.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    The one thing that would be worthy of an iPod only announcement is if they have added a comprehensive workout app to the Nano---which they really should have done a long time ago.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I am not interested in the iPhone as there are better alternatives that offer better value.

Likewise. But not the same thinking as you, most probably. I think Android devices are junk, just like I think Windows computers are junk.

But a 64GB iPod Touch and an SE (or Nokia, if you prefer) dumbphone and a 3G wireless modem for less than the price of the 32 GB iPhone, and for less than half of the monthly charge, for me, is a much better deal. I don't mind carrying three devices. Four, actually, if you count my iPad, which I can use with the same 3G modem.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Coincidence the Droid Bionic is launching Sept 8th on Verizon?
  • Reply 25 of 62
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Doesn't need to be an iPhone announcement at all, besides didn't they say this fall for the iPhone... Which doesn't happen until after September 21st in the northern hemisphere.

I think Apple will introduce an iPod touch WiFi+3G and possibly a 5" or 7" model as well.

There may also be some kind of Apple TV related announcement.

The iPhone announcement will come 3 or 4 weeks later.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Doesn't need to be an iPhone announcement at all, besides didn't they say this fall for the iPhone... Which doesn't happen until after September 21st in the northern hemisphere.

The iPhone announcement will come 3 or 4 weeks later.

I'm not sure Apple gave any official guidance on the next iPhone outside of iOS5 coming the fall. An announcement can come earlier with an actual Fall release in the end of Sept/early Oct. The iPhone is the flagship product. As we know the iPod Touch is the same device without the cellular radio and no way will they announce an iPod giving away specs for the iPhone before they officially announce it on its own. It probably will be all together.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    My only comment on whether the iPhone will be a part of the Sept. 8th event is that Apple's stock will take a pummeling if they don't.

Also, if they introduce it then, it gives them 2 weeks to 30 days to put it on sale, meeting the late September to early October sale date. Let the lines queue up.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Could these "new i-Phone" covers suit a new slightly revamped iPod touch?

The iPod touch already has rounded corners and is thinner than the IP4.

• Reply 29 of 62
    I have heard rumors about an iPod touch with 3G capabilities for a while now and such a device could be a shake-up in the mobile computer space.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for the next-generation iPhone, there is some disagreement as to whether it will arrive in September or October. After numerous reports suggested a September timeframe for the launch, All Things D claimed that their sources were wrong and the handset would not go on sale until October. However, some analysts have continued to put forth September as a likely launch date for the so-called iPhone 5.

PREDICTION: The iPhone 5 and 4S will launch in North America and various countries in September, and will launch in Asia in October.

It doesn't make sense for Apple to hold two separate events so closely related, so close together. When has Jobs ever done that? Everything will be revealed in September, with certain products not available overseas until October; that's the way Jobs has done it before.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stsj View Post

I find it unlikely that they would hold an iPod-only media event this fall. The iPod isn't important enough to Apple (or the public) anymore. I think they will either have a combined iPhone/iPod-event, or simply refresh the iPod-lineup quietly.

It would make sense if there was a "product transition" involved.

Whether or not they do turn the iPod touch into "iPad Junior," there seems to be something up with iPods this year or else why all that activity about the domain names? Why leave them alone for the whole life of the iPod product and then buy them up when it's on it's way out? I think at the very least there is some kind of re-alignment of products or rebranding going on, but it's really impossible to tell for sure and we'll all find out soon enough anyway.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm sure there are lots of other products that no one has ever heard of launching on the same day around the world. It's just a coincidence.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

I'm not sure Apple gave any official guidance on the next iPhone outside of iOS5 coming the fall. An announcement can come earlier with an actual Fall release in the end of Sept/early Oct. The iPhone is the flagship product. As we know the iPod Touch is the same device without the cellular radio and no way will they announce an iPod giving away specs for the iPhone before they officially announce it on its own. It probably will be all together.

They are far from being 'the same device', in fact all they really share these days is a screen an OS and a processor. Different cameras, different amounts of flash, different enclosures etc.

Now I think we can safely say that iOS-5 will launch with the iPhone, but they could launch an iPod without it. The processor will be the A5, which is already in the iPad-2, so that's not exactly going to be news either way. The key component in common is the screen, and interestingly that's exactly where we could see the phone and the iPod start to diverge.

Apple could easily choose to make the Touch bigger than the iPhone, they could even make a tweener sized touch that fills the 5inch or 7inch tablet niche. They could make it smaller than the iPhone, staying at current dimensions while the phone embiggens to 4inch-ish.

This rumour is just a rumour of course, and we may get a phone at the same event, but the idea that Apple absolutely must announce the two at the same time is bogus.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

... I don't expect (the Classic) to die yet, because it's not an expensive product line to maintain, and they don't yet offer an alternative device that provides close to the same storage.

This is a tiny bit of an exaggeration isn't it? 128GB is indeed "close" to 160GB" and if the iPod touch has a 256GB solid state drive this year (a not unreasonable hope), then there would be nothing at all about the classic that isn't duplicated in another device.

I have no prediction either way, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if this was the year that the iPod Classic became just another app on iOS and the hardware was sent to the museum.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:

Yes and no. Yes because I'm sure Apple didn't care. No because there is a very small window in which to launch new devices if you want high visibility for the holidays. August is dead, November is too late - there are maybe 6 weeks in Sep and early Oct, and Tue/Wed/Thur are preferred days so 18 days and a lot of products.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

4S

• Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:

They are far from being 'the same device', in fact all they really share these days is a screen an OS and a processor. Different cameras, different amounts of flash, different enclosures etc.

Now I think we can safely say that iOS-5 will launch with the iPhone, but they could launch an iPod without it. The processor will be the A5, which is already in the iPad-2, so that's not exactly going to be news either way. The key component in common is the screen, and interestingly that's exactly where we could see the phone and the iPod start to diverge.

Apple could easily choose to make the Touch bigger than the iPhone, they could even make a tweener sized touch that fills the 5inch or 7inch tablet niche. They could make it smaller than the iPhone, staying at current dimensions while the phone embiggens to 4inch-ish.

This rumour is just a rumour of course, and we may get a phone at the same event, but the idea that Apple absolutely must announce the two at the same time is bogus.

I disagree entirely. No way Apple gives an ipod touch without the iphone. No way are they different sizes, or variations, it's not Apple's style and would cause too many headaches for devs. That's the exact fragmentation problem Android has, and Apple has been very careful and successful in avoiding.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a tiny bit of an exaggeration isn't it? 128GB is indeed "close" to 160GB" and if the iPod touch has a 256GB solid state drive this year (a not unreasonable hope), then there would be nothing at all about the classic that isn't duplicated in another device.

I have no prediction either way, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if this was the year that the iPod Classic became just another app on iOS and the hardware was sent to the museum.

If there's a reasonably priced 256GB Touch then you could be right, but that seems unlikely when the current max is 64. Also that 64GB Touch is $150 more than the 160GB Classic - and probably has lower margins.

We will likely hit 128 this year, and they might decide that it's close enough that they can kill the Classic, but I don't see the need to really. Apple does like to keep to the minimum number of SKUs but it's less of an issue with a device that is both small and not undergoing rapid revision.

Personally I'd love it if just for nostalgia they made a 10th anniversary classic with a 320GB HD for people who want to move up to lossless audio. Bonus points if they gave it the Og enclosure
  • Reply 39 of 62
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Wouldn't a camera make all of the Nano watchbands obsolete?

I really don't get a camera on the Nano, but it's been the most unstable of any apple product design over the years, so I suppose anything's possible.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

If there's a reasonably priced 256GB Touch then you could be right, but that seems unlikely when the current max is 64. Also that 64GB Touch is $150 more than the 160GB Classic - and probably has lower margins.

We will likely hit 128 this year, and they might decide that it's close enough that they can kill the Classic, but I don't see the need to really. Apple does like to keep to the minimum number of SKUs but it's less of an issue with a device that is both small and not undergoing rapid revision.

Correct. If it's making good profit and still looks sexy on the tables, it stays.