Rumor: Apple may hold iPod media event on Sept. 8

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Wouldn't a camera make all of the Nano watchbands obsolete

Yes, and then the accessories manufacturers would have to sell totally redesigned watchbands to all of their customers. I doubt they would be complaining.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'm starting to get burnt out on Apple rumours.

Seriously... an "unverified report" Apple "might" have an event for the iPod where there is a chance they will annouce a white iPod... does anyone care?

... Yes! ...
  • Reply 43 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

... Personally I'd love it if just for nostalgia they made a 10th anniversary classic with a 320GB HD for people who want to move up to lossless audio. Bonus points if they gave it the Og enclosure

Seems like you are a pretty hard core classic user.

It could go either way for sure. Personally, I miss the click-wheel of the old iPods so I'd like to see a sort of virtual click-wheel or iPod classic "app" as I said.

Predicting what Apple will do is always fun, but still pretty much a mugs game anyway. I've been startlingly right a few times and horribly, awfully wrong many more. I can't think of a single professional journalist that gets much closer than the average guesser on this forum either.

At least the event is close now.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markiv View Post

Personally I'd love it if just for nostalgia they made a 10th anniversary classic with a 320GB HD for people who want to move up to lossless audio.

Does Toshiba make a single-platter 1.8" HDD in that capacity?
  • Reply 45 of 62
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    I hate the thought that Apple could be entering a phase where they need to hobble one product to protect another (a la Microsoft).

Judged on just its own merits a 4.3" touch with 3G would be a fabulous product. But could/would Apple launch a touch that had a bigger screen than an iPhone? Highly doubtful.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stsj View Post

I find it unlikely that they would hold an iPod-only media event this fall. The iPod isn't important enough to Apple (or the public) anymore.

Ok Zune, here's your big chance!

And...Go! Oh wait, you're dead. Nevermind.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does Toshiba make a single-platter 1.8" HDD in that capacity?

They do!

http://www.slashgear.com/toshiba-320...ggest-0562929/
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It could go either way for sure. Personally, I miss the click-wheel of the old iPods so I'd like to see a sort of virtual click-wheel or iPod classic "app" as I said.

I may have to try writing one. I wonder if Apple would get sniffy at an iOS app that copied the Og iPod B&W LCD look - pixellated fonts and all. They certainly have a design patent.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Likewise. But not the same thinking as you, most probably. I think Android devices are junk, just like I think Windows computers are junk.

Who said anything about Android? My phone runs Bada.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    akaaka Posts: 7member
    Sure would love one of these iPod events/iterations to focus on a significant improvement audio quality - no one needs another sh*tty camera, Apple. C'mon, Steve.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aka View Post

Sure would love one of these iPod events/iterations to focus on a significant improvement audio quality - no one needs another sh*tty camera, Apple. C'mon, Steve.

There have been rumours of 24bit Audio from Apple, and that would be fantastic.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

Not really. Music never goes out of style you know. And not everyone can afford an iPhone (and still pay for monthly bills). iPod appeals to the young and serves as a 'entry' product to make them fall in love with Apple products. And with Apple's wealth today, a media event costs nothing really. Also, it's a part of marketing strategy to keep on organizing events, no matter what the product is, so that the brand can stay visible all the time.

I don't doubt that the iPod will continue to be part of Apples' product line, but it's certainly taken a backseat (both in mindshare and revenue) to the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Nowadays, a new iPod is the warm up, not the smashing finale.

I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded some iPods in the first 15 minutes on the event but spent another 45 minutes or more on "iPhone 5" and unreleased iOS 5 features (Maps, Voice).
  • Reply 53 of 62
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

...I think Apple will introduce an iPod touch WiFi+3G ...

Ever since the $15/$30 per month 3G option for the iPad, I've thought a similar option for the iPod touch would be potentially more disruptive move than the original introduction of the iPhone. The low price mobile phone market dwarfs the segment of the market the iPhone competes in (see Asymco for the stats about China and other markets with huge potential).

This is the sort of move that was out of reach when Apple first entered this market. They had a difficult enough time recruiting AT&T and had to agree to four years of exclusivity. But the carriers have agreed to this sort of deal for the iPad, maybe it's time for a pocket version. A combination of Skype and Google Voice could provide the infrastructure but in general VoIP apps would be a fertile market for innovation. So the advantages of "always connected", the App Store, and telephony as an app all for as low as $15 per month. What's not to like?

I'm still skeptical that the carriers will play ball. But if they do (or if enough of them do) this would be a bigger announcement than the original iPhone. (Yes, adding a 3G radio to an iPod touch would raise the price but not by hundreds). Another bonus for Apple is that their competitors would be left scrambling again because they have neglected the non-cellphone version of their OS and hardware.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I think they may take this opportunity to unify the iPhone & iPod Touch design along the lines of the iPad styling so we have three products all with a similiar design: iPod Touch > iPhone Air > iPhone Pro

One more thing... they will all be released on Sept 5 because: iPhone 5, iOS 5 and the 5th Generation iPod Touch
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I think they may take this opportunity to unify the iPhone & iPod Touch design along the lines of the iPad styling so we have three products all with a similiar design: iPod Touch > iPhone Air > iPhone Pro

What's the point of the other two?
  • Reply 56 of 62
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    OK People, we all realize that's a hex-head screw in that Nano picture right? That's not a camera.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's the point of the other two?

It's called market segmentation:

iPod Touch - entry > media player + games, etc

iPhone Air - medium > iPhone without the contract for pre-paid users

iPhone Pro - high > all singing all dancing iPhone

A product and price point for everyone
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Putting a camera in the iPod Shuffle is just about the only thing I can think of that would make that particular device any worse.

I really miss my 2nd gen.

Not to mention get it banned from the Gym and locker rooms.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

PREDICTION: The iPhone 5 and 4S will launch in North America and various countries in September, and will launch in Asia in October.

It doesn't make sense for Apple to hold two separate events so closely related, so close together. When has Jobs ever done that? Everything will be revealed in September, with certain products not available overseas until October; that's the way Jobs has done it before.

This is the first idea that has merit to me. An A5 based "5" released along side a RAM bumped A4 based "4S" for the entry market.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

There have been rumours of 24bit Audio from Apple, and that would be fantastic.

Please explain the advantages of 24 bit audio, apart from a pointlessly low noise floor.