City of Cupertino posts further details on Apple mega-campus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I know I'm in a very obscure minority, but to me a spaceship will always be something like this:

With all due respect, your sample of SciFi (or aerospace technology) is very limited if that's all you can imagine a spaceship to be.
  • Reply 42 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

With all due respect, your sample of SciFi (or aerospace technology) is very limited if that's all you can imagine a spaceship to be.

Pretty darn sure he's just making the point that that was either from the first series he ever watched or the first series that endeared itself to him.

Not at all anything about the plausibilities of spacecraft designed differently.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    I'm sure Steve Jobs has already thought of this. This design will allow Apple to plan and test a revolutionary new automobile IN SECRET. The circular basement won't only be for "parking" but below or in between that it'll allow a secret test track.

This is the main and only real reason to design a building like this. No other company would go to such lengths to secretly design and build the next car. Steve Jobs loves good cars and I hope he stays healthy long enough to see the iCar.

This is why Apple should hang onto their cash hoard. To reinvent the auto industry.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeff94svx View Post

I'm sure Steve Jobs has already thought of this. This design will allow Apple to plan and test a revolutionary new automobile IN SECRET. The circular basement won't only be for "parking" but below or in between that it'll allow a secret test track.

This is the main and only real reason to design a building like this. No other company would go to such lengths to secretly design and build the next car. Steve Jobs loves good cars and I hope he stays healthy long enough to see the iCar.

This is why Apple should hang onto their cash hoard. To reinvent the auto industry.

That's the "only" reason to design a building like this? Would you rather say it's the only one you can think of? You could also design a building like this to house a cyclotron, for example. I would be pretty surprised if Apple is doing that, though.
  • Reply 45 of 124
    For birds, this thing is a killer - mixed in with great habitat, all those big plate-glass windows mean a constant rain of birds with broken necks littering the area around the building.

...something for them to think about.

• Reply 46 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

The 1000 seat auditorium looks way too small for WWDC. On the floor plans it is circular and it has floors underground also, there is a lobby, exhibition area and also a theater. There is a tunnel connecting to it from the main building. It is 100,000 square feet but I think that is still too small for the 5000 people that come to Apple's World Wide Developers Conference.

I think they will still hold WWDC at the Moscone Center... so people can enjoy San Francisco.

Moscone West is 100,000 square feet... and that's where they currently hold WWDC.

You're right about the auditorium.... but I'm not sure all 5,000 attendees sit there at once anyway.

I think Steve mentioned at the city council meeting that the new on-campus auditorium will be used for smaller events and announcements.
  • Reply 47 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I think they will still hold WWDC at the Moscone Center... so people can enjoy San Francisco.

Moscone West is 100,000 square feet... and that's where they currently hold WWDC.

You're right about the auditorium.... but I'm not sure all 5,000 attendees sit there at once anyway.

I think Steve mentioned at the city council meeting that the new on-campus auditorium will be used for smaller events and announcements.

I was hoping WWDC 2015 would be at the mothership!

Don't quote me but I think Moscone West is much larger around 300,000 square feet.

Maybe we should all submit a bug report ( https://bugreport.apple.com/ ) and ask that they double or triple the size or the auditorium.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    That site plan really show you how big it is compared to the surrounding buildings. The width of the building itself might not that wide but in a whole, in circumference, this is huge. You could have a football (proper foot ball, mind) field in there.
  • Reply 49 of 124
    Quote:

I was hoping WWDC 2015 would be at the mothership!

Don't quote me but I think Moscone West is much larger around 300,000 square feet.

Maybe we should all submit a bug report ( https://bugreport.apple.com/ ) and ask that they double or triple the size or the auditorium.

Oops you're right... 100,000 sqft is just the first floor of Moscone West. There is an additional 200,000 sqft on floors 2 and 3.

Like I said... I think Apple will still use Moscone West for WWDC. San Fran, baby!
  • Reply 50 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

That site plan really show you how big it is compared to the surrounding buildings. The width of the building itself might not that wide but in a whole, in circumference, this is huge. You could have a football (proper foot ball, mind) field in there.

Yeah... it's scary how big it is!

The cross section of the building is 180 feet wide.

That's an 18 story building laying on its side. Whoa.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Those plans and renderings definitely make it easier for Samsung to copy it
  • Reply 52 of 124
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

For birds, this thing is a killer - mixed in with great habitat, all those big plate-glass windows mean a constant rain of birds with broken necks littering the area around the building.

Back it up. No it doesn't mean what you think, but I want to see you quantify your claims.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    Quote:

Memo to birds: just choose a different flight path.

(PS: I am sure Apple has thought about that issue; perhaps some sort of warning sounds in frequencies that the human ear can't hear?)
  • Reply 54 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, one hopes there are doors along the side that faces the central arboretum. Then you could presumably cut across that.

With Segway paths...
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

And I don't get why they wouldn't build, say, just one story higher so they have room to expand - if they have to get government approval anyway, and the government there is probably just falling over itself to grant it anyway, why not build slightly bigger so there's room to fit more employees than they already have in the area?

Perhaps they don't anticipate requiring more staff in the future? If they continue to outsource, they may be more than capable of growing their business with fewer staff.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    Quote:

The 1000 seat auditorium looks way too small for WWDC. On the floor plans it is circular and it has floors underground also, there is a lobby, exhibition area and also a theater. There is a tunnel connecting to it from the main building. It is 100,000 square feet but I think that is still too small for the 5000 people that come to Apple's World Wide Developers Conference.

Presumably then they have no intention of hosting WWDC at their campus. It doesn't make any sense for a company to build an exhibition facility large enough to cater to a once a year event. That's why specialized facilities exist.

This smaller auditorium will likely be used for smaller product launches, staff presentations etc.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

YOU MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING.

It DOES look like a wheel of cheese. It does NOT look anything like a space ship. The only spaceships any of us have ever seen look like this:

• Reply 58 of 124
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

It's an ill wind that blows no bird any good.

'An unusual loud bang, one floor below my office (Fig. 1), indicated yet another collision and an addition to the bird collection. I went downstairs immediately to see if the window was damaged, and saw a drake mallard (Anas platyrhynchos LINNAEUS, 1758) lying motionless on its belly in the sand, two metres outside the façade. The unfortunate duck apparently had hit the building in full flight at a height of about three metres from the ground

(Fig. 1). Next to the obviously dead duck, another male mallard (in full adult plumage without any visible traces of moult) was present (Fig. 2a). He forcibly picked into the back, the base of the bill and mostly into the back of the head of the dead mallard for about two minutes, then mounted the corpse and started to copulate, with great force, almost continuously picking the side of the head (Fig. 2b). '

From The first case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard Anas platyrhynchos
  • Reply 59 of 124
    No mention of the 16-story underground R&D Hive?
  • Reply 60 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Memo to birds: just choose a different flight path.

(PS: I am sure Apple has thought about that issue; perhaps some sort of warning sounds in frequencies that the human ear can't hear?)

There are a lot of non-fatal ways to scare birds away. For example, our airport has raptor sounds playing over the parking lot to keep birds away.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Those plans and renderings definitely make it easier for Samsung to copy it

+1