Apple's iWork '11 suite tracking for release alongside Mac App Store

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    With next to no real technical knowledge to back this up, my guess on what's holding it back is that they're caught with a new software package that has some Lion-esque features (like Lion's version of fullscreen), while everyone's still on Snow Leopard. Although it's without a doubt that they would have thought of this kind of timing-issue long ago, maybe they've decided to have it more integrated with Lion than initially planned, and a simple software update for Lion users later in the summer would mean holding back on too many interface changes for an initial Snow Leopard-based release.

Either that or we'll see it within the next two or so months. They'll probably wait to have it announced at their next event/keynote though, right? I don't quite see it just popping up in the app store.
  • Reply 102 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undecided View Post

They'll probably wait to have it announced at their next event/keynote though, right?

No reason to do so.

Quote:

I don't quite see it just popping up in the app store.

I do.
  • Reply 103 of 116
    So I wonder how that iWork '12 is coming along...
  • Reply 104 of 116
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    My guess iWork will be released alongside the new "MobileMe"; tighter integration with the service. Maybe synced with iOS5 release... who knows
  • Reply 105 of 116
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

My guess iWork will be released alongside the new "MobileMe"; tighter integration with the service. Maybe synced with iOS5 release... who knows

Yeah whatever happened to iWork.com? Is it still in beta? Along the lines of your guess, they are probably going to integrate. Though iWork is meant for business, I cannot see Apple charging for the service (once MobileMe goes free) as I imagine the user base being very small when you can just get a Google account for free and use Google Docs.
  • Reply 106 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Though iWork is meant for business, I cannot see Apple charging for the service (once MobileMe goes free) as I imagine the user base being very small when you can just get a Google account for free and use Google Docs.

Businesses refuse to use Google Docs. They'd use iWork simply because it would BE paid.
  • Reply 107 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Businesses refuse to use Google Docs. They'd use iWork simply because it would BE paid.

I think it just depends on their budget. My production company would not be able to afford an iWork.com account, especially if it were $99 per user plus the cost of iWork itself.
  • Reply 108 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I think it just depends on their budget. My production company would not be able to afford an iWork.com account, especially if it were $99 per user plus the cost of iWork itself.

The new MobileMe would benefit from (and therefore might have) business accounts if iWork integration is in there. Heck, it would benefit from them even if it isn't. We could hope for that.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Quote:

The new MobileMe would benefit from (and therefore might have) business accounts if iWork integration is in there. Heck, it would benefit from them even if it isn't. We could hope for that.

Agreed. Interesting too that the long promo has ended for both iWork and for MobileMe, and on the same day even.
  • Reply 110 of 116
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    So where is it?!?!!? My current iWork apps are buggy and and I need new ones!
  • Reply 111 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

So where is it?!?!!? My current iWork apps are buggy and and I need new ones!

"Buggy" how? Mine work perfectly fine.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    Quote:

Not so much buggy as severely lacking in features. No R1C1 addressing, no named ranges, missing builtin functions.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randian View Post

Not so much buggy as severely lacking in features. No R1C1 addressing, no named ranges, missing builtin functions.

Yup and Keynote needs a few more spiffy features. I'm hoping that now the iWork for Lion has leveraged the new stuff we can get a "feature" release next year.

I'd like to see the Inspector turn into a Pop Over in Lion that can fade away in seconds or be anchored until it's closed.

I'd like to see AV Foundation used so that I can add more audio/video content to documents.
  • Reply 114 of 116
    Wow I really can't wait for iWork 11, I love so much Pages. it works so good and has such amazing templates. Teachers give me A+ Just because of the design They think I'm making it myself with Photoshop and such.. Yeah RIGHT.
  • Reply 115 of 116
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Pages needs voice dictation as a standard feature. I don't do a lot of presentations, so I have no idea what Keynote needs.

Numbers stands out as the only member of the suite that seems underpowered, but that's a personal opinion.

In terms of adding to the suite, I would think a basic CRM/To Do manager is the only real business app completely missing from the platform.
  • Reply 116 of 116
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Actually mine is buggy in that I have iWork '08 and there is an annoying "bonk" sound that seems to be embedded in every document I start or open with Numbers. It is as if there is a script or a function that is "illegal" and the app keeps, nonstop bonking so that I have to mute my system to do any work.

I took it to the Apple Genius' and they said that it would be almost impossible to find, but just update to the latest version and it might get rid of it. Good retail advice! However I don't want to experiment by updating to a version that will be out of date 3 weeks after buying it ... and if it doesn't work!? @#$#$%^&

So I want iWork '11 kind of NOW.