Google announces plans to acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5B

Comments

• Reply 41 of 236
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Are many of Moto's telecoms patents likely to be like Nokias, where they are part of the standards for 3G, 4G etc and every other manufacturer licences these at fixed fees?
  • Reply 42 of 236
    ..."It's alright... I've played the part of an industry Mogul [Airline Pilot]..."
  • Reply 43 of 236
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    I agree with most of the posters on here that Google did this primarily for the patents. However, I'm sure Google will still keep releasing a new Nexus phone (and maybe even tablet, eventually) every year. Now they just don't have to partner with a phone maker, since they now own one.
  • Reply 44 of 236
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Partial quote

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

By publicly stating (though barely veiled) to sue other Android licensees, that would strongly motivate Google to up their bid.

I suspect you are right on. If true is was nothing short of blackmail when you think about it!
  • Reply 45 of 236
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Google probably did buy Moto for their patents.

But this surely will not hold up Apple one bit. If the patents were being infringed Motorola is trying hard to stick it to Apple in the courts now.

Maybe Google has better Lawyers.

More than anything. Once the Samsungs and HTC's start jumping ship to Microsoft, this will give Google one company that is their very own.

All in all, the biggest losers will be Google. That is one big chunk of change.
  • Reply 46 of 236
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Partial quote

I suspect you are right on. If true is was nothing short of blackmail when you think about it!

Basically. Jha would have been trying to maximize shareholder return, as he has to. Pretty good way to have done so without making anything public about the negotiations.
  • Reply 47 of 236
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

Are many of Moto's telecoms patents likely to be like Nokias, where they are part of the standards for 3G, 4G etc and every other manufacturer licences these at fixed fees?

Many are, but at least according to Jha, many also are not.
  • Reply 48 of 236
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Or maybe they just really really hated Motoblur I'm seeing a lot of jubilation from android users that it will be gone forever on places like TIMN.

But seriously, I think the answers lies in Larry Page's own words: "Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google's patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies."
  • Reply 49 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

From my limited understanding, they cover some pretty fundamental parts of the standards. They've been in the game a very long time.
  • Reply 50 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Partial quote

Legal extortion! ...(I know my business crimes)
  • Reply 51 of 236
    Ok - finally something interesting on the conference call. Google is still intending to partner with other firms with the Nexus handsets. They're claiming that Samsung and HTC will be able to bid for that privilege equally with Moto.
  • Reply 52 of 236
    The only thing of value to Google is the IP that MOTO holds for the mobility space. I was wondering tho if MOTO Mobility actually holds those patents or if they are held by Motorola Mobility or if they are held by Motorola Solutions and licensed to Moto Mob. It would be an egregious oversight by Google to have purchased Moto Mob for the IP if the IP was held and licensed from Moto Solutions.

And it may be that Google decided to step in and slap-down Moto Mob for trying to extort money from the other Android handset makers. What better way than to walk into the boradroom and say "stop it - we own you".
  • Reply 53 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I agree with most of the posters on here that Google did this primarily for the patents. However, I'm sure Google will still keep releasing a new Nexus phone (and maybe even tablet, eventually) every year. Now they just don't have to partner with a phone maker, since they now own one.

And that might be the main difference, from a hardware perspective. Android vendors have already become accustomed to there being a Google stamped line, that being the Nexus line. It is more of a reference spec and has only been granted to one vendor at a time. Now that vendor might be google. The vendors seem to have been fine with some other vendor doing the nexus line, so maybe that vendor being moto/google won't be a huge obstacle for them to get used to.
  • Reply 54 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/11/s...ent-royalties/

I think Jha's comments regarding possibly using their patents against other Andrdoid licensees was a message for Google during their acquisition negotiations. If google only wanted the patents (since they have never shown interest in their won hardware) they might have been lowballing their offers for moto. By publicly stating (though barely veiled) to sue other Android licensees, that would strongly motivate Google to up their bid. While Google' weak patent position hurts them and their partners in their competition against Apple and MS, even worse for the platform would be an Android civil war with every vendor expending resources suing, counter-suing and defending . If Google can get enough depth in the IP, then they can offer blanket coverage to their vendors and perhaps 'encourage' them not to fight amongst themselves.

+++ this
  • Reply 55 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

But seriously, I think the answers lies in Larry Page's own words: "Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google's patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies."

Yes, and listening to the conference call so far nobody is making any concrete claim on how this merger will improve Moto's ability to deliver phones. This merger is all about patents, and Google doesn't really seem to have thought very much about what it will do with the Moto business itself.
  • Reply 56 of 236
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

You would have to think this will seriously piss off HTC, Samsung etc. Especially given the issues around Google preventing some licences putting other third party apps on the handset. On the one hand saying you must play by our rules, and now directly competing, sure to annoy them no end.

And so much for all the hyperbole about how bad patents are, let's just go and bus us some more!

And... a 63% premium, wow, that is a lot of cash burnt. Wonder what the shareholders reactions will be. Will be interesting to see how the market responds.

great post

do as i do not as i say, patents i guess DO MATTER and apple SJ has hit android BROADSIDE and its hurting enough to spend crap loads on it

wow, now MS "visits" HTS and samsung and says why help your competion hurt YOU

go to MS as did nokia

MS doesn't need to buy hardware companies, now, let google kill them off

ha ha
  • Reply 57 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Ok - finally something interesting on the conference call. Google is still intending to partner with other firms with the Nexus handsets. They're claiming that Samsung and HTC will be able to bid for that privilege equally with Moto.

interesting.
  • Reply 58 of 236
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    It would be funny if, despite controlling the OS and the hardware, Moto-Goog phones will still be late getting Android updates because of carriers playing interference.
  • Reply 59 of 236
    And the winner is...

...WebOS? ...QNX?
  • Reply 60 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

The only thing of value to Google is the IP that MOTO holds for the mobility space. I was wondering tho if MOTO Mobility actually holds those patents or if they are held by Motorola Mobility or if they are held by Motorola Solutions and licensed to Moto Mob. It would be an egregious oversight by Google to have purchased Moto Mob for the IP if the IP was held and licensed from Moto Solutions.

And it may be that Google decided to step in and slap-down Moto Mob for trying to extort money from the other Android handset makers. What better way than to walk into the boradroom and say "stop it - we own you".

Jha states that Moto Mobility has 17000 patents approved and 7000 further pending. Presumably the IP was split between the two firms along with other assets.