Google CEO: 'Anticompetitive' Apple, Microsoft forced Motorola deal

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Patent litigation from Apple and Microsoft, deemed "anticompetitive" by Google Chief Executive Larry Page, is what prompted the search company to buy handset maker Motorola Mobility.

In a post on the company's official blog, Page revealed that Google's acquisition of Motorola is a strategic move to strengthen his company's patent portfolio. The company's Android operating system has recently come under fire in an industry-wide patent battle, as Apple and Microsoft have taken Android device makers like HTC, Samsung and Motorola to court.

"The U.S. Department of Justice had to intervene in the results of one recent patent auction to 'protect competition and innovation in the open source software community' and it is currently looking into the results of the Nortel auction," Page wrote. "Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google?s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies."

The CEO touted Motorola's history of building devices, saying he loved the company's StarTAC phone first launched 30 years ago. Today, Motorola is one of the most popular Android device makers, with devices like the Droid 3, Droid X2 and Atrix 4G.

"In 2008, Motorola bet big on Android as the sole operating system across all of its smartphone devices," Page said. "It was a smart bet and we're thrilled at the success they've achieved so far. We believe that their mobile business is on an upward trajectory and poised for explosive growth."

Motorola's embrace of Android has made it a target of Apple in the courtroom, with the two companies engaged in a number of lawsuits. Just last week it was revealed that Apple has attempted to bar the sale of the Motorola Xoom tablet in Europe, something it managed to successfully do with Samsung's competing Galaxy Tab 10.1.

In their legal battle, Motorola struck first last October, accusing Apple of violating 18 patents related to a range of technologies, including 3G, GPRS, 802.11 wireless and antenna design. Accused Apple products include MobileMe and the App Store.

Motorola claimed that it attempted to license its patented technology to Apple, but "lengthy negotiations" could not produce a deal. Motorola said that Apple "refused" to pay for a license.

Google Chief Executive and co-founder Larry Page.

Apple responded in kind only weeks later, suing Motorola for alleged violation of six patents related to multi-touch features in the iPhone. A range of Motorola devices were alleged to have been in violation, including the Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Cliq, and BackFlip.

As the number of lawsuits in the mobile industry have swelled, Motorola earlier this month even signaled that it could sue other Android device makers in pursuit of licensing fees. CEO Sanjay Jha said Motorola Mobility has a "very large" portfolio of intellectual property that could be leveraged in legal action.

In a patent licensing deal with Android device-maker HTC, Microsoft is rumored to receive a large $5-per-device for the use of patented inventions. That helped to set of a wave of concerns that handsets running Google Android could also have to pay high royalty fees to Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 171
    Somebody call the waaahmbulance.
  • Reply 2 of 171
    So they buy up a competitor (anticompetitive), which gives them now first-class priority amongst Android licensees (anticompetitive), and they do it just for the patents (anticompetitive), and they say Apple and Microsoft are being anticompetitive?
  • Reply 3 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I hope for Larry's sake the Android user hardware fraternity feel this is just for patent portfolio content. I would suspect a few more will be looking at Microsoft or internal Mobile OS development after this morning. Unless of course he shuts down Motorola Mobility later today.

What next, HP open WebOS up to all manufacturers for free if they promise to use HP printers and Ink?
  • Reply 4 of 171
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So I take it Google will now withdraw the suits Motorola attacked Apple with.

F**king hypocrites.
  • Reply 5 of 171
    habihabi Posts: 317member

What will htc and samsung say about this???
  • Reply 6 of 171
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

F**king hypocrites.

Actually, yes, I expect they might. But, obviously, they would only do so with an agreement that it is not a unilateral withdrawal.
  • Reply 7 of 171
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Patent litigation from Apple and Microsoft, deemed "anticompetitive" by Google Chief Executive Larry Page, is what prompted the search company to buy handset maker Motorola Mobility.

Great move by Google. Only time will tell how the whole patent thing works out. But in the meanwhile I thinkSamsung, HTC and others are going to start looking elsewhere for their mobile platforms.

This move makes no difference to Apple. The only one who wins in this case is Microsoft and Nokia. With a decreased number of Android devices the Windows phone finally stands a chance to gain some traction in the market.

At the end of the day the Apple will be the Market leader with 50+% of the market and the rest split between Android, HTC, Samsung, HP and others.
  • Reply 8 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hope for Larry's sake the Android user hardware fraternity feel this is just for patent portfolio content. I would suspect a few more will be looking at Microsoft or internal Mobile OS development after this morning. Unless of course he shuts down Motorola Mobility later today.

What next, HP open WebOS up to all manufacturers for free if they promise to use HP printers and Ink?

HP is in fact in talks with a few companies to license WebOS. Samsung is one of them.

Would love to them and HTC jump ship. HTC is taking a beating from Android suits with no help from Google.
  • Reply 9 of 171
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Now it seems that Nokia's Elop turned out to be a friggin' genius.

This is getting to be better than the Soap Operas.

"As The (Tech) World Turns".

Can't wait for the next episode.
  • Reply 10 of 171
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Now it seems that Nokia's Elop turned out to be a friggin' genius.

This is getting to be better than the Soap Operas.

"As The (Tech) World Turns".

Can't wait for the next episode.

RIM is dead. In light of Samsung being sued, Nokia latching on to Microsoft's teat and now Google swooping in to buy Moto, it's pretty much game over for RIM.

I was at my local craptastic telco, a few years ago when the latest BlackBerries launched it was exclusive to one of the three major telcos and there was much fanfare. Now BlackBerries are sold by every telco and they're mostly a third or quarter of what iPhone still sells for.

Game over RIM.
  • Reply 11 of 171
    Wasn't the StarTAC introduced more like 13-15 years ago?
  • Reply 12 of 171
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Great move by Google. Only time will tell how the whole patent thing works out. But in the meanwhile I thinkSamsung, HTC and others are going to start looking elsewhere for their mobile platforms.

I think the might stay where they are. If google offers to protect them with these patents, as long as they are Android vendors, that is a huge incentive to hang around.

Quote:

This move makes no difference to Apple. The only one who wins in this case is Microsoft and Nokia. With a decreased number of Android devices the Windows phone finally stands a chance to gain some traction in the market.

of course it makes a difference to Apple. Patents have become the key battleground in the wireless industry. Their main competitor is about to greatly strengthen their position in that battle.
  • Reply 13 of 171
    Quote:

At the end of the day the Apple will be the Market leader with 50+% of the market and the rest split between Android, HTC, Samsung, HP and others.

Can you fathom the gravity of Google's betrayal?

Android, free and open and wonderful with pretty flowers.

But... oops, sorry, we got Moto now, HTC, Samsung, the rest of you can jog on and find your own OS. What's that? You invested billions in Android and had no legal protection from us? Well, too bad. Peace out, remember, don't do evil.

This is one of the biggest dick moves in Tech this past ten years.

If there was any sliver of doubt of Google's duplicity, it is well and truly erased now. Mark this day. Mark it well.
  • Reply 14 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The issue is TRUST. At this stage, can any hardware maker seriously trust Google?
  • Reply 15 of 171
    Quote:

F**king hypocrites.

Legally, they can't. That would either imply Apple does not infringe, or they're giving Apple a free license to use the patents in question which effectively nullifies them.

No matter what way Google's PR may spin it, Google can't just take the defence, they are legally required to seek out and litigate against entities who are violating on their patents.
  • Reply 16 of 171
    This could be a big win for HP. HP could strike deals with HTC and others to license webOS In return for closing their handset business. HP seem to be realistic in their tablet aims and prepared to take a loss short term to gain share. Apple would only worry if Amazon joined a HP & HTC alliance, as then the proposition is complete. If the Amazon tablet turned out to be webOS, wouldn't that be interesting. An Amazon/Android/Motorola tablet is considered more likely, but, ultimately, is "just another Android tablet" - but an Amazon/HTC/webOS tablet seems better differentiated, could be cheaper, and certainly answers the question of "why should I buy this instead of an iPad."
  • Reply 17 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post

Wasn't the StarTAC introduced more like 13-15 years ago?

They also made the G3 and G4 processors that powered products which essentially saved Apple at their most critical juncture.

But thank goodness Steve and Co. saw the writing on the wall and jettisoned them and IBM.
  • Reply 18 of 171
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But... oops, sorry, we got Moto now, HTC, Samsung, the rest of you can jog on and find your own OS. What's that? You invested billions in Android and had no legal protection from us? Well, too bad. Peace out, remember, don't do evil.

If there was any sliver of doubt of Google's duplicity, it is well and truly erased now. Mark this day. Mark it well.

Well Android stopped being open source with Honeycomb, no reason to think it was going to go back with Ice Cream Sandwich. I am sure if google could find a loop hole to get the kernel out of the GPL they would.
  • Reply 19 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Except that Google has reaffirmed (during this morning's conference call) that Samsung, HTC, etc are going to be considered on equal footing with Moto. You might be right someday. Just not right now.
  • Reply 20 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

This could be a big win for HP. HP could strike deals with HTC and others to license webOS In return for closing their handset business. HP seem to be realistic in their tablet aims and prepared to take a loss short term to gain share. Apple would only worry if Amazon joined a HP & HTC alliance, as then the proposition is complete. If the Amazon tablet turned out to be webOS, wouldn't that be interesting. An Amazon/Android/Motorola tablet is considered more likely, but, ultimately, is "just another Android tablet" - but an Amazon/HTC/webOS tablet seems better differentiated, could be cheaper, and certainly answers the question of "why should I buy this instead of an iPad."

WebOS is far, far from being anything close to iPad at this stage of the game. Throwing in Amazon and HTC into the mix does not seem promising in improving WebOS.