Google announces plans to acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5B

Comments

• Reply 101 of 236
    Good news for all:

Google/Moto: Better hardware and software integrated products (a vertical model)

Apple: Better competition will inspire even better products

Consumers: Better products, lower prices.
  • Reply 102 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Except, as others have mentioned, Apple would, likely, have encountered difficulties with the Justice Department. When a leading US manufacturer of mobile phones buys another leading US manufacturer of mobile phones -- it raises anti-trust, monopoly flags!

There's a classic Supreme Court ruling where an acquisition was prevented because the combined entity would tend to be a monopoly... AIR, it was in the 50s or 60s, concerning 2 California supermarket chains: Von's and Shopping Bag -- and the combined entity would control 7% of the marketplace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vons

I agree, Dick, that possibility existed. I always thought that Apple should have given up the Nortel patents and go after MM; thinking that the Nortel patent deal would have made it virtually impossible for Apple to acquire MM. I think that with the right deal, ie. MM having the right to continue using other OSes, it might have been possible.
  • Reply 103 of 236
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

As I've said already... Google is a search company... they can drop Android tomorrow and live... can Apple drop iOS and still live.

Now Google will most likely have the ability to shake hands with Apple and call it a day... or Apple can continue to fight Android and have the possibility of Google asking for an injunction on Apple's products because of patents owned by MM.

Don't ever forget what I said above... Google is a search/ad company... Apple is the OS company.

But, also don't forget that Google created and has invested enormous amounts into Android for a reason. They see mobile as the future and killing that would have a huge impact on their business. Maybe not as large an immediate hit as Apple would take by losing iOS, but large nonetheless.
  • Reply 104 of 236
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    lets hurt our partners, and spending big buck$$$

google is playing defensive, apple offensive apple system win??

http://macdailynews.com/2011/08/15/g...ng-a-disaster/
  • Reply 105 of 236
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Except, as others have mentioned, Apple would, likely, have encountered difficulties with the Justice Department. When a leading US manufacturer of mobile phones buys another leading US manufacturer of mobile phones -- it raises anti-trust, monopoly flags!

Can we really describe Moto as a leading manufacturer of anything?

Combined their share would be below that of Samsung in the handset market, so most likely they could pass regulatory approval with a bit of effort, but I doubt Apple even considered it. Moto is just too much of a basket case to be worth the money for them.
  • Reply 106 of 236
    mmi +56.93%

goog - 0.99%

aapl + 1.81%
  • Reply 107 of 236
    Quote:

mmi +56.93%

goog - 0.99%

aapl + 1.81%

Huge purchases like this usually drive down the parent much more than this if investors see it as a bad deal. We'll know by tomorrow if this is viewed as a smart move by Google.
  • Reply 108 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I predict this move will squeeze out other Android licensees. There is a reason Microsoft did not build computers. I doubt this will have much effect on Apple.

And we all saw how successful they were when Microsoft started making MP3 Players and Phones.
  • Reply 109 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

But, also don't forget that Google created and has invested enormous amounts into Android for a reason. They see mobile as the future and killing that would have a huge impact on their business. Maybe not as large an immediate hit as Apple would take by losing iOS, but large nonetheless.

An impact, sure, but not huge... especially if your competitor is dead.
  • Reply 110 of 236
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Bold move. I wonder what HTC and other Android using handset makers will think about this...

I'm sure Microsoft is looking at this somewhat fondly.

The 'Android' fragmentation has always hindered it in my opinion. One of the benefits going iPhone has been that I get quite a few choices for car/home stereo integration, charging integration, etc., etc.

I'm guessing HTC/Samsung would adopt whatever they come up with, but would think they'd always be just a 'step' behind so might even concentrate on Microsoft?

Yes. Things got a little more interesting. I'd hate to be a manufacturer. Wouldn't get much sleep!
  • Reply 111 of 236
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    I wonder what the exact IP arrangement is between Moto Mobility and Moto Solutions? If Moto Solutions has a permanent license to all those patents this could get very interesting.
  • Reply 112 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If Apple has the patents to disrupt the Android business, then they have leverage. Same goes for Google and iOS and WP7. Eventually, with such large patent holdings on all sides, something has to give. Imagine if they all decided to avoid settlements and push everything through the courts and the ITC. They could all get injunctions against each other's sales and end up with all parties having all of their stock sitting on the dock.

The Duel

by Eugene Field

The gingham dog and the calico cat

Side by side on the table sat;

T'was half past twelve, and (what do you think!)

Nor one nor t'other had slept a wink!

The old Dutch clock and the Chinese plate

Appeared to know as sure as fate

There was going to be a terrible spat

(I wasn't there; I simply state

What was told to me by the Chinese plate!)

The gingham dog went "Bow-wow-wow!"

And the calico cat replied "Mee-ow!"

The air was littered, an hour or so,

With bits of gingham and calico,

While the old Dutch clock in the chimney-place

Up with its hands before its face,

For it always dreaded a family row!

(Now mind: I'm only telling you

What the old Dutch clock declares is true!)

The Chinese plate looked very blue,

And wailed, "Oh, dear! what shall we do!"

But the gingham dog and the calico cat

Wallowed this way and tumbled that,

Employing every tooth and claw

In the awfulest way you ever saw--

And oh! How the gingham and calico flew!

(Don't fancy I exaggerate--I got my news from the Chinese plate!)

Next morning, where the two had sat

They found no trace of dog or cat;

And some folks think unto this day

That burglars stole that pair away!

But the truth about that cat and pup

Is this: they ate each other up!

Now what do you really think of that!

(The old Dutch clock it told me so,

And that is how I came to know.)

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/gingham.htm

... I know my business criminal acts... and my nursery rhymes.
  • Reply 113 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

Doesn't Google already have enough non-performing divisions, or enough autonomous teams (like those working on Android vs. Chrome OS) that are seemingly in conflict with one another?

This expensive purchase might make good sense if it were part of some well-thought-out, long-term strategy. But it feels more like an impulsive response to the big recent patent deal. Such a move may look bold and decisive, but to me it seems to reflect a lack of corporate focus.

Google's governing strategic principle these days seems to be: Do everything. Jump into every conceivable business at the same time -- even money-losing ones -- and hope to somehow monetize it all via ad sales, which is the company's only meaningful profit center. So now Google, having bloated up from a search company to a search/advertising company, then a search/advertising/software company, then a search/advertising/software/social-networking company, is now about to become a search/advertising/software/social-networking/hardware company. How soon do they buy a wireless carrier, or an automobile company, or a chain of hotels?

Meanwhile Apple, myopic as it is, contents itself with a highly focused and integrated line of products and sucks up 2/3 of the industry's profits.

Great virgin post!

You can't teach an old pony new trick!
  • Reply 114 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

it is a different space than the pc world was and Android being 'open' also changes things. android is getting muddied by all the oems dicking with the os and 'improving' it.

with this purchase google gets a reference for android that remains clear (it was the htc and then it became the samsung?? just crazy jumping all over the place)

oem willl still be able to do what they want with android and people will be able to go with that or go with the reference model (moto). google has a lot of people enamored with the brand. if moto succeeds then i see it being rebranded as Google.

this, like the nokia deal, has potential to succeed if handled well and the patents are a BIG deal.

google now needs to hire the understudy of jon ive and continue to 'innovate'.

What does " dicking with the os " mean...
  • Reply 115 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

it is a different space than the pc world was and Android being 'open' also changes things. android is getting muddied by all the oems dicking with the os and 'improving' it.

with this purchase google gets a reference for android that remains clear (it was the htc and then it became the samsung?? just crazy jumping all over the place)

oem willl still be able to do what they want with android and people will be able to go with that or go with the reference model (moto). google has a lot of people enamored with the brand. if moto succeeds then i see it being rebranded as Google.

this, like the nokia deal, has potential to succeed if handled well and the patents are a BIG deal.

google now needs to hire the understudy of jon ive and continue to 'innovate'.

Your making a really confused argument here, its seems to me like you are blending together what's "good for Google," and "good for Android," in each statement. They are two separate things.

This move may or may not be good for Google, but at best it's a lateral move for Android and possibly a great big negative.

The perils of licensing to your competitors.

• Reply 116 of 236
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

So much for open source.

What the heck does this have to do with open source?
  • Reply 117 of 236
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Fantastic news! Once this goes through Apple can start suing Google directly for their violations rather than the companies that ship their OS!

The reason Apple has avoided that in the past is they know Google punches above its weight. It has a lot more money and and now a lot more patents to defend itself.

This is decidedly not fantastic news for Apple. Google can now directly challenge Apple to either nullify the patents Apple is suing everyone over, or instigate a cold war where Apple will not want to trigger the wrath of the company holding 25,000 patents dating back 30 years from the company who invented the cell phone.
  • Reply 118 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I agree, Dick, that possibility existed. I always thought that Apple should have given up the Nortel patents and go after MM; thinking that the Nortel patent deal would have made it virtually impossible for Apple to acquire MM. I think that with the right deal, ie. MM having the right to continue using other OSes, it might have been possible.

I agree, but the time for that was 2005-2006... pre-iphone. Then, purchase of Motorola, the Mobile Division, or the Mobile IP would have been accepted as a natural expansion of Apple into new businesses,

Today, with the success/dominance of the iPhone and iPad, purchase of MMI would most likely be viewed as anti-competitive,

And Apple would not be immune to Justice stepping in -- even with the "Bozo of Ozone" on their board.
  • Reply 119 of 236
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Maybe Google along with it.

Nobody major is going to push an OS that's controlled by a major competitor, which Google had suddenly become to the major cellphone makers. They may keep develop products for it because of the large current user base, but they will start to put more emphasis in other options. Think you have slow Android update now, just imagine when the Cell phone makers become disinterested.

Nokia's decision doesn't look as bad as it was before today. They at least got the "don't use Android" part right.
  • Reply 120 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

... This expensive purchase might make good sense if it were part of some well-thought-out, long-term strategy. But it feels more like an impulsive response to the big recent patent deal. Such a move may look bold and decisive, but to me it seems to reflect a lack of corporate focus. ...

I'm glad someone finally noticed this.

Paying a 63% premium on a company for patents that are likely to be no help (at least in any offensive way), and at the risk of losing all your partners, is a move that just reeks of desperation. Whether it works or not, this is definitely not a well thought out play by a reasonable company in control of it's direction IMO.

The other big takeaway for me (and I think for a lot of the general public), is simply that this is the last nail in the coffin of respectability for Google. There is simply no way that they can ever play that game of maintaining that they are different, or more moral, or not as evil as all the other companies. This is a thoroughly grasping, self-serving, *sshole move that makes Apple look like Angels in comparison. It makes Google look nastier than Microsoft IMO and I think the general public will see it that way too.

A good portion of the Android-ites will feel stabbed in the back. Hippies and tech geeks around the world will do yet another double-take and wonder whether they've hitched their wagon to the wrong horse again.