City of Cupertino posts further details on Apple mega-campus

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I have a couple of pieces of advice for you. First, try sticking to subjects you know. I'm not sure what subject you do know, since you seem to have a need to respond to everything anyone posts here. Second, if you do feel a need to respond to a post of mine, at least try reading what I wrote and responding to that, not some fantasy version of your own invention.

Give up. This guy is an obsessive-compulsive responder. And, he is convinced he knows everything about everything. Best to ignore him and let him have his say, despite the fact that it might offend one's sensibilities....
  • Reply 102 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Jeesh, I was just asking a question. Snark-o-rama, thanks a lot.

Oh, that's another one.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Um, who here is loud-mouthed? Oh, right, it's you. Probably you're the teenager, too.

Not really helping your case with the "I'm rubber, you're glue" argument.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowhide View Post

It is the APPTAGON, Like the Pentagon, except it is round.

Know that feeling you get when you chew on a piece of tin foil? That's the feeling I got when reading that sentence.

Probably because the -agon suffix doesn't apply to circles. And infinitasgon just doesn't work.
  • Reply 104 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

The 1000 seat auditorium looks way too small for WWDC. On the floor plans it is circular and it has floors underground also, there is a lobby, exhibition area and also a theater. There is a tunnel connecting to it from the main building. It is 100,000 square feet but I think that is still too small for the 5000 people that come to Apple's World Wide Developers Conference.

It's not really meant to hold WWDC-type keynotes. Even thought it's a 45 min-1 hr trip to San Francisco, there are at least TONS of nice hotels and places for visitors to go in SF. It's far more than a keynote, after all. Tens of sessions going on, keynotes, meals, concerts, lodging, transportation, etc. Downtown San Francisco is much more suited for that. Cupertino is a nice town but it's pretty much a suburb.

The 1,000 seat theater is more likely for non-WWDC press events (which are becoming more frequent in the absence of Macworld). September iPod/iPhone events, March iPad events, internal training and guest speakers, etc.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Thanks for the serious answer about the Planned Development zoning. Everyone on this site seems to think that just because a company wants to build a large facility, that means they have to get special government approval. That may or may not be desirable (I would say it might be), but the reality, this being America, is that many places allow you to build "as of right" - i.e., if you build within the zoning limits, the only thing required is that you build to code. "Planned development" zoning is a way for local government to require their approval for whatever gets built. That way, if this land parcel were being developed by 300 different developers on 300 different 1/2-acre sites, providing, say, 25 jobs per site, or 7500 jobs, the city council would need to approve 300 different projects, keeping them nice & busy.

Not many cities, at least not in California, let you do a whole lot on the basis of over-the-counter type permits anymore. The idea behind planned developments is not to keep city planners busy but to plan cities better. The city would much rather have large areas planned at one time (if not built at one time) than in many small bits and pieces. Generally these PD zones also allow more flexibility than straight zoning. A company like Apple might be able to (for instance) make a case that their off-street parking requirements should be reduced due to how their employees work shifts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Give up. This guy is an obsessive-compulsive responder. And, he is convinced he knows everything about everything. Best to ignore him and let him have his say, despite the fact that it might offend one's sensibilities....

Words of wisdom.
  • Reply 106 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Words of wisdom.

Cloudgazer consistently makes well thought-out and constructive posts. I read his posts because they are informative just as I read yours. Disagreeing with a specific point does not take away for the value he adds to the forum. I know I disagree with you two at time, and you with me, but I never once felt your posts areN'T value added.
  • Reply 107 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cloudgazer consistently makes well thought-out and constructive posts. I his posts because they are informative just as I read yours. Disagreeing with a specific point does not take away for the value he adds to the forum. I know I disagree with you two at time, and you with me, but I never once felt your posts are value added.

I hope you didn't say exactly what you meant here.

Anyway, my last two encounters with this poster, including this one, were entirely negative. They involve his offering caustic remarks about subjects he knows absolutely nothing about, and he added nothing to the discussion but antagonism. That is why I suggested that he stick to commenting on subjects he does know something about rather than reflexively responding to every topic.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applecider View Post

Wow am I the only one who sees this design for what it is?

Clearly the underground torus is a linear accelerator, being disguised as a subterranean "parking lot".

The clear purpose of the linear accelerator is to generate anti-matter, need one delineate what that is used for!!!

With the anti-matter the propulsion and "self contained energy" generation is explained. As is the need to get the power usage off the grid...

Further the anti-matter is known to be used for generation of anti-gravity, and clearly a second generation RDF is being worked on in the extensive R&D facility.

Particle accelerator agreed, so do you expect the "antigravity" function to be able to make this thing actually fly?

I'm considering patenting a whole pile of levitation by products, just you watch, in 15 years everyone will be saying "how could you patent such an obvious idea!"
  • Reply 109 of 124
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

I hope you didn't say exactly what you meant here.

Anyway, my last two encounters with this poster, including this one, were entirely negative. They involve his offering caustic remarks about subjects he knows absolutely nothing about, and he added nothing to the discussion but antagonism. That is why I suggested that he stick to commenting on subjects he does know something about rather than reflexively responding to every topic.

You are the fellow who is resorting to ad hominems

You are the one who has made false claims regarding what cupertino city council said

You are the one making 'helpful suggestions about what I should or shoudn't post

Your posts were regarding what Cupertino city council had said, so by your own argument you should be a person who knows what they said yet oddly you were in complete error on that subject. It would appear that you believe that a person should only speak on subjects at which they are expert and it would further appear that you are unable to determine accurately which subjects you are expert at or not - so by your own argument you shouldn't post at all.

That's not my position though, I just think you should try to post with a little more graciousness, a little more care in checking your sources and a willingness to acknowledge that even in areas in which you believe you are expert you are still capable of error, just like everybody else.
  • Reply 110 of 124
    milsf1milsf1 Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Look at the layout for the underground carpark and then just turn each parking space into 2 cubicles. Done.

Maybe. You can cheat a little on the parking spaces and have them not quite exactly rectangular and no one would notice. Slightly smaller towards the inside than outside. I guess most cubicle partitions have enough give in the joints that you could "flex" a ling line of them into a curve. Whatever. Maybe someone will sneak out a photo when all is said and done...
  • Reply 111 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

You are the fellow who is resorting to ad hominems

You are the one who has made false claims regarding what cupertino city council said

You are the one making 'helpful suggestions about what I should or shoudn't post

Your posts were regarding what Cupertino city council had said, so by your own argument you should be a person who knows what they said yet oddly you were in complete error on that subject. It would appear that you believe that a person should only speak on subjects at which they are expert and it would further appear that you are unable to determine accurately which subjects you are expert at or not - so by your own argument you shouldn't post at all.

That's not my position though, I just think you should try to post with a little more graciousness, a little more care in checking your sources and a willingness to acknowledge that even in areas in which you believe you are expert you are still capable of error, just like everybody else.

100% baloney.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Look at the layout for the underground carpark and then just turn each parking space into 2 cubicles. Done.

Actually, I originally thought that diagram was the office space and was thinking, "that's a lot of very small cubicles with no offices and no conference rooms."
  • Reply 113 of 124
    Quote:

100% baloney.

Eh… this one I'm just not seeing.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    Quote:

100% baloney.

Feel free to quote the exact time in the youtube recording of the meeting when somebody said what you claimed they said. You only have to watch about half of it, the first half is just Steve talking. Shouldn't take you long.

Or after watching it again and realizing that you're wrong you could post an apology - I'm a big enough man to accept it
  • Reply 115 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh? this one I'm just not seeing.

Maybe he means it's a serving suggestion?

• Reply 116 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    After eating all that you'll need a few of these…
  • Reply 117 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

after eating all that you'll need a few of these…

Round. With a different center.

It's one giant conspiracy!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple in September

Introducing iMints. Don't stick them in your eyes.

• Reply 118 of 124
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh? this one I'm just not seeing.

I can't help but think they might be missing a trick here:

What better way to put a ding in the universe than plant a giant Apple logo on the Earth. Of course, it's not so easy to zip round it on a Segway.
  • Reply 119 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can't help but think they might be missing a trick here:

What better way to put a ding in the universe than plant a giant Apple logo on the Earth. Of course, it's not so easy to zip round it on a Segway.

That's really well done for a thrown-together Photoshop of it.
  • Reply 120 of 124
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Feel free to quote the exact time in the youtube recording of the meeting when somebody said what you claimed they said. You only have to watch about half of it, the first half is just Steve talking. Shouldn't take you long.

Or after watching it again and realizing that you're wrong you could post an apology - I'm a big enough man to accept it

It's at 3:14 in this statement by the Mayor of Cupertino on June 9, 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FEwHk9Ap7I

As quoted in the above article, where he responds to a reporter's question: "there is no chance that we are saying no." It should take you forever to admit your error, but I guess we're all used to that by now.