Google CEO: 'Anticompetitive' Apple, Microsoft forced Motorola deal

Comments

• Reply 121 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Remember the golden rule of Google: when someone else does it, it is evil. When Google does it, it is not evil. Just like a religion.

Oh, I get it! Thanks. So it's kinda like if Apple sues for patents it's protecting their IP and investments. But if they're sued for patent infringement it was by a troll chasing the money. That kind of religion?
  • Reply 122 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

What will htc and samsung say about this???

They will smell Larry Page's farts and say they smell roses.

Microsoft will welcome them with open arms, assuming consumer desire for WP7 ever makes it out of the single-digit percentages.
  • Reply 123 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Well, Apple did get into the phone business too after never being in the space.

But then again, they already did HARDWARE, so it was a more natural progression.

This comment makes no sense to me.

It's like a mirror of the statement from Apple (paraphrased) that "Google got into the phone business, Apple didn't get into search." The Apple statement is true, if you are trying to argue the reverse, you are incorrect.

When Apple was getting into the phone business, Google wasn't yet. Apple went first as a natural extension of their other businesses, Google jumped in quickly after with a quick copy of what Apple was doing.

Google is quite definitely the copyist here and quite definitively the one that's jumping into businesses that it doesn't normally play in in order to maintain what it feels is it's "rightful" place in the technology ecosystem. It's so almost exactly the same as Microsoft that it's kind of frightening IMO.

AS someone who's followed them from the beginning, I'm really disappointed in Google. I mean anyone could tell from the start that Gates and Balmer were morally bankrupt individuals. It wasn't a secret. Page and Brin always seemed like nice boys with good intentions and loudly proclaimed such to anyone who would listen. Google seemed like one of those very rare entities which is to say a company with a moral compass.

Now we know they aren't.
  • Reply 124 of 171
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    No they aren't. Perhaps you are thinking about Trademarks where that is arguably true. You have no affirmative duty to seek out and sue those using what you think is your patent. Many companies, including Apple, generally turn a blind eye to patent infringement. They just pull out the patents when being sued.

Prior to Android manufacturers blatantly copying Apple right down to the packaging, Apple rarely sued for patent infringement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Legally, they can't. That would either imply Apple does not infringe, or they're giving Apple a free license to use the patents in question which effectively nullifies them.

No matter what way Google's PR may spin it, Google can't just take the defence, they are legally required to seek out and litigate against entities who are violating on their patents.

• Reply 125 of 171
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's too late for detente, because shots have already been fired. At some point the current litigation between Apple & Moto/Goog will be decided, and then will be in one of the following cases

Apple infringe on Moto, Google will be in a strong position to demand whatever cross licensing deal they like, along with royalties

Moto infringe on Apple, Apple will be able to shut Moto out of the US for whatever models infringe and force Google to redevelop or remove features to stop infringing

Both infringe the other - some sort of cross licensing deal will be needed.

You only need to shoot the bullet once if you get a good enough peace treaty the first time.

Shots have been fired over a relatively small number of patents. There are many more to go if either side is willing to escalate. You're right - the detente has been broken but what we have seen so far are mere skirmishes compared to the potential escalation. History says they won't go too far. But again, that's fine for Googorola. I don't know the Motorola bullet is enough to protect all Android licensees against both Apple and Microsoft. HTC is already paying MSFT a license fee. What will it do if/when Google's defense against Oracle caves in?
  • Reply 126 of 171
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Remember the golden rule of Google: when someone else does it, it is evil. When Google does it, it is not evil. Just like a religion.

A company that is treated like a religion...now where have I seen that before?
  • Reply 127 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

here:

http://www.google.com/press/motorola/quotes/

Paraphrasing the full commentary sent to them by Larry to ensure a unified alliance response:

"We welcome the news of today?s acquisition, which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners, and the entire ecosystem. Today, we celebrate the first glorious victory in the Android Protection Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure open ideology ? where each handset may bloom, secure from the pests purveying closed and proprietary systems. Our Androidification of handsets is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one OS, with one alliance, one ad-revenue generating search engine, one cause. Our enemies shall sue themselves to death, and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!"

Closed is the new Open. Anti-competitive is the new defense. We shall sue to end suing. We shall acquire IP to prevent the acquisition of IP. We shall ensure equality by making our handsets more equal than the others - as a shining example of what conformity to our openness should look like.

Ahh.... Quotations directly from Chairman Larry's Little Red Book...

"All our cadres, whatever their rank, are servants of the people, and whatever we do is to serve the people. How then can we be reluctant to discard any of our bad traits?"
  • Reply 128 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Shots have been fired over a relatively small number of patents.

What people don't seem to get is that it's not the number of patents that matter. Some patents are useless and others are very valuable. It's not simply a matter of counting patents.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The cable box business is part of Motorola Mobility and included in the purchase AFAIK.

Now there's a scary thought - that could account for much of the value. Google just bought their way into the living rooms of the majority of cable and Dish Network subscribers.
  • Reply 129 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

A company that is treated like a religion...now where have I seen that before?

I dunno. There's a difference between companies that are treated like religions by others and companies that adopt words like "evil" to characterize what their corporate philosophies are supposedly not.
  • Reply 130 of 171
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Shots have been fired over a relatively small number of patents.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What people don't seem to get is that it's not the number of patents that matter. Some patents are useless and others are very valuable. It's not simply a matter of counting patents.

Pretty much what jragosta says. In general the fight will be reduced to the few strongest patents that either side holds because the final result will be a broad cross-licensing along deal along with royalties or complete exclusion of a product.

It's possible that we could have salvo after salvo, but it's unusual.
  • Reply 131 of 171
    Quote:

Now there's a scary thought - that could account for much of the value. Google just bought their way into the living rooms of the majority of cable and Dish Network subscribers.

+1 THIS

I think the real story is, aside from getting all those patents, Google now has access to millions of living rooms now.

Comcast uses Motorola boxes for their cable set top boxes in California atm. I think this will continue on to the rest of the states.

I posted this on other thread, but I do believe its highly relevant to this discussion

• Reply 132 of 171
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

Introducing Goog! The Google Baby Monitor!

Monitor your baby for free from anywhere you are!

NOTE: Baby will be sent subliminal audio advertisements every five minutes.
  • Reply 133 of 171
    Quote:

+1 THIS

I think the real story is, aside from getting all those patents, Google now has access to millions of living rooms now.

Comcast uses Motorola boxes for their cable set top boxes in California atm. I think this will continue on to the rest of the states.

Pretty sure this isn't actually true. They didn't buy *all* of Motorola, just the mobile stuff.
  • Reply 134 of 171
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Pretty sure this isn't actually true. They didn't buy *all* of Motorola, just the mobile stuff.

Home IP Video and home digital video are both on their product list, that graphic is just for Moto mobility, Moto solutions has a very different product list.
  • Reply 135 of 171
    Quote:

Quote:

+1 THIS

I posted this on other thread, but I do believe its highly relevant to this discussion

This could be very scary....

Didn't ComCast/NBC win a recent bid for some of the recently freed-up Broadcast spectrum? AIR, Google worked with, or supported Comcast in this effort -- and in re Net Neutrality (With preferential treatment for the participants).

Aren't more spectrum auctions coming soon?
  • Reply 136 of 171
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

So they buy up a competitor (anticompetitive), which gives them now first-class priority amongst Android licensees (anticompetitive), and they do it just for the patents (anticompetitive), and they say Apple and Microsoft are being anticompetitive?

Larry Paige is out of his league when it comes to running a major corporation. He should have stuck to Search Research.

This has Schmidt all over it.

Moto wanted Apple to buy it for years and if you think Apple would pass up on a gold mine of IP you're crazy.

Google got a mobile player knowing they will be locked out in the up coming auctions. They are not the next Microsoft or Apple. They over shot themselves.
  • Reply 137 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Larry Paige is out of his league when it comes to running a major corporation. He should have stuck to Search Research.

Moto wanted Apple to buy it for years and if you think Apple would pass up on a gold mine of IP you're crazy.

Google got a mobile player knowing they will be locked out in the up coming auctions. They are not the next Microsoft or Apple. They over shot themselves.

How will they be locked out if the auctions -- the money?

Do you have any current links as to what's in play?
  • Reply 138 of 171
    Quote:

+1 THIS

interesting, but content is king and who sits on the board of disney?... let's see where the "content" licensing goes.
  • Reply 139 of 171
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How will they be locked out if the auctions -- the money?

Do you have any current links as to what's in play?

Google doesn't have the money to win the auctions. End of story.

They bought a large portion of archaic IP with the hopes of the 7,500 filed patents pending will venture them protection.
  • Reply 140 of 171
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Ba-dum-tish?