Google CEO: 'Anticompetitive' Apple, Microsoft forced Motorola deal

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

But Google may have the same problems as Apple in pushing future versions of GoogleTV - cable companies and content owners are a difficult lot to negotiate with.

In re Google (with MMI STBs in their back pocket) negotiating with the cable companies...

I am reminded of the story of the woman in the dentist's chair -- As the dentist bends over her to drill, she grabs his testicles and says: Now, we're not going to hurt each other, are we?
  • Reply 162 of 171
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Well, Apple did get into the phone business too after never being in the space.

But then again, they already did HARDWARE, so it was a more natural progression.

Yeah, but Apple doesn't whine and cry like Google. They'd rather build great products and lead the pack than be another crybaby copycat. Google is for people with no taste, who do not appreciate design as art, who just want it (whatever it is) cheap/free. I've stopped using them. No more Google search. No Google apps. I don't like them as a company. Not that any company is without fault, but Google is especially slimy.

Personally, I think this was one dumb move for them. As others have noted, it just shows how little they can be trusted. If I were one of their "partners", I'd be ringing up Redmond. The Android ecosystem is about to get even more fractured and convoluted.
  • Reply 163 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Yeah, but Apple doesn't whine and cry like Google. They'd rather build great products and lead the pack than be another crybaby copycat. Google is for people with no taste, who do not appreciate design as art, who just want it (whatever it is) cheap/free. I've stopped using them. No more Google search. No Google apps. I don't like them as a company. Not that any company is without fault, but Google is especially slimy.

Personally, I think this was one dumb move for them. As others have noted, it just shows how little they can be trusted. If I were one of their "partners", I'd be ringing up Redmond. The Android ecosystem is about to get even more fractured and convoluted.

/facepalms
  • Reply 164 of 171
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Google should buy Gateway 2000 next and steal Steve Bummer away from Mr. Softy.
  • Reply 165 of 171
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Google doesn't benefit if their partners leave. Google benefits if their vendors are happily producing Android handsets. Google has never shown an interest in their own hardware. why exactly should the Android vendors be upset or scared? Their common platform just gained a huge weapon in their mobile wars.

I'm not sure I agree. If Google ends up paying a per handset licensing royalty and they have 38% of the market but 36% of that market is crappy handsets, Google ends up paying the lions share of the royalties on handsets that make no money. By starting a patent war, Apple killed the free software market. The only reason Google has 38% of the market is because they were giving away Apple knock off software for free. Now that they can't give it away for free, they need a different business strategy.

In short, it may benefit Google to lose market share.
  • Reply 166 of 171
    [QUOTE=ash471;1921684

In short, it may benefit Google to lose market share.[/QUOTE]

I guess that would be the version where it's a win/win, since that would definitely benefit Apple. Aa would having a competitor who is playing for the high margin iPhone clones, thereby supporting Apple prices, instead of the BOGO spawn strategy.
  • Reply 167 of 171
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Ya know, them problem I have with this is understanding WHAT business Google want's to be in...

It's like they want to be in everybody's business (media / search / ads / patent suit revenue) JUST for the sake of what? Search and ad revenue?

Puhlease...

as a Google investor, I'd be asking some hard questions, looking for some CLEAR answers, as to the INTENT of this acquisition.

And I would not take "patent value" as an answer.

No, Google MUST have ulterior motives.
  • Reply 168 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Ya know, them problem I have with this is understanding WHAT business Google want's to be in...

It's like they want to be in everybody's business (media / search / ads / patent suit revenue) JUST for the sake of what? Search and ad revenue?

Puhlease...

as a Google investor, I'd be asking some hard questions, looking for some CLEAR answers, as to the INTENT of this acquisition.

i dont think one should over-analyze this purchase.

Google needed to defend itself from patent lawsuits. They didn't want any of its partners to get sued, namely Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, etc.

Google got the patents. It will now be that much harder to sue Google/partners over patent infringement claims. And trust me, Motorola patents are definitely better than Nortel patents. Google got a good deal.

Secondly, I would say the ulterior motive is for Google to gain access to millions of homes with Motorola's set top box business. Soon, we will be seeing Google branded STB's when you grab it from your local Cable company, like Comcast, or Charter.
  • Reply 169 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

I guess that would be the version where it's a win/win, since that would definitely benefit Apple. Aa would having a competitor who is playing for the high margin iPhone clones, thereby supporting Apple prices, instead of the BOGO spawn strategy.

Nothing personal...

But, "win/win" leaves a very bad thought in my mind...
  • Reply 170 of 171
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Puhlease...

It's very simple. Google is about data - amassing it, processing it and monetizing it. Google founders are computer scientists who like big data. You can link everything they do to data. A big part of data processing can be called search. So at the heart of it, it is very fair for Google to call itself a search company.

How Google monetizes data is only limited by how creative they can become. In today's world, everything is about data. So it looks like Google is indeed ubiquitous.
  • Reply 171 of 171
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sumjuan View Post

HP is in fact in talks with a few companies to license WebOS. Samsung is one of them.

Would love to them and HTC jump ship. HTC is taking a beating from Android suits with no help from Google.

This patent purchase IS how Google is going to help the others. They are going to fight back via Motorola until everybody shakes hands and does cross licensing.

And I don't think Google is really going to do much with the MOtorola Mobility brand except wield the patents in an attempt to settle Apple and Microsoft down.

This is a case of Google deciding if you can't beat 'em (by ignoring patents, etc) then you might as well join 'em (and duke it out with a big patent portfolio). I don't blame them for making this move, but I think they paid way too much.

Thompson