G5 - The truth

Comments

• Reply 281 of 489
    icomicom Posts: 41member
    This may cause some confusion:

Ingram has 80 models in stock of the low end model, has 50 on order . BUT, they will arive feb. 7 2002 .

What do we make of this . No new powermac until feb. 2002 or is Apple waiting until then to ship the new powermac . Or, theory...G5 anounced in jan. but won't ship until feb . There you have your 6 months of beta-testing the G5 .

I'm getting confused of this ;o)

Still want a G5 though
  • Reply 282 of 489
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The more I think about this the more it makes sense.

This is not an iMac. That's a very successful AIO concept that everybody from design company secrataries to your grandma can plug in and use. Jonathon Ive just has to come up with the goods one more time and it will sell itself.

This is something different; like the iPod its a 'value adding' product that only makes sense if you have a Mac. Its going to be aimed at the two markets, business & home. Remember Steve making the comment "the PDA market isn't somewhere we want to be right now. Nobody brings their PDA's to meetings anymore"

What they would bring (and I certainly would) is a tablet to make handwritten notes and sketches, airporting to their laptops and desktops after the meeting. Laptops are great but most of the time they are plugged into the mains; people use them as 'transportables'. They are a desktop power machine that you can easily pack up and move from place to place. Surfing the net at home (and in the office) via Airport is a great pleasure but its not really an 'on your lap in front of the television' type thing; especially if you hate trackpads; which I do. A tablet makes that scenario so much more compelling.

The 'remote control' aspect of all this makes things even more interesting; sys admins? business presentations? home AV system control? (once the whole HAVi mob gate their firewire act together). We've talked quite a bit in the past on these boards about the whole home entertainmen/TiVO/MP3/cable/server business and how Apple could slot in. Perhaps we were barking up the wrong tree. Whilst the rest of the world gets its act together trying hook up all their AV kit Apple have created the mother of all home remote controls (Phillips Pronto? my a?s)

So what does it need technology wise?

12" 1024 x 768 touchscreen

G3 500?

Airport, natch

Firewire, oh yes

USB, yep for keyboard (can we have a really cute Apple mini keyboard please Steve?)

5 gig micro drive? (they must have a warehouse full of them somewhere)

256meg hardwired

OSX with handwriting recog

Form factor? thin, thin, thin; you've got to able to use it like a writing pad.

Design? Oh I think we know that one don't we kids? Translucent white polycarbonate front, polished steel back ( with big rubber pads hopefully)

Price; hmmm $999 would be amazing but I can't see it myself. I think $1299 would strike the correct Apple balance between "Ouch!" and "I gotta have one!" whilst keeping Fred Anderson a happy bunny.

The last time Apple prised the credit card out of my pocket was 10 minutes after the Powerbook Ti was announced.....I'm getting that twitchy feeling again.....
  • Reply 283 of 489
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by vinney57:

<strong>This is something different; like the iPod its a 'value adding' product that only makes sense if you have a Mac. Its going to be aimed at the two markets, business & home. Remember Steve making the comment "the PDA market isn't somewhere we want to be right now. Nobody brings their PDA's to meetings anymore"

What they would bring (and I certainly would) is a tablet to make handwritten notes and sketches, airporting to their laptops and desktops after the meeting. Laptops are great but most of the time they are plugged into the mains; people use them as 'transportables'. They are a desktop power machine that you can easily pack up and move from place to place. Surfing the net at home (and in the office) via Airport is a great pleasure but its not really an 'on your lap in front of the television' type thing; especially if you hate trackpads; which I do. A tablet makes that scenario so much more compelling.

The 'remote control' aspect of all this makes things even more interesting; sys admins? business presentations? home AV system control? (once the whole HAVi mob gate their firewire act together). We've talked quite a bit in the past on these boards about the whole home entertainmen/TiVO/MP3/cable/server business and how Apple could slot in. Perhaps we were barking up the wrong tree. Whilst the rest of the world gets its act together trying hook up all their AV kit Apple have created the mother of all home remote controls (Phillips Pronto? my a?s)</strong><hr></blockquote>

vinney57 you better cut this out... My nipples are starting to get hard!

I don't care if people don't "SEE" the benefit of something like this... I know I do! I also know that once it is totally spelled out to them they too will see the light.

Dave
  • Reply 284 of 489
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Ha!

easy tiger....
  • Reply 285 of 489
    Here's a really quick mockup like I promised earlier - incorporating the Cube style into the new iMac like it may have been hinted, depending on how you read the posts...

-S
  • Reply 286 of 489
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Maybe the G5 is coming. The Mot 8500 embedded in the iPad running OS X and all new comps have built in Airport.
  • Reply 287 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>Here's a really quick mockup like I promised earlier...

-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

Way off...
  • Reply 288 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Codename:

<strong>

Way off...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Figured as much...too delicate for an iMac. Still had fun making it

But any hints other than "way off?"

-S
  • Reply 289 of 489
    You should switch the cube guts to the back, shorten the "rod" things and I think it wouldn't be to bad. The screen could tilt up and down on a upper lip of the cube like guts. Kinda like the iBook screen and its case. (this would also remove the need for the "rods"). What about a pyrimid like base, perhaps never coming to a point. The CD slot would be on the base under the screen, but stick out because of the pyrimid like shape.

hmm...
  • Reply 290 of 489

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: SpiffyGuyC ]</p>
  • Reply 291 of 489
    Too ugly.
  • Reply 292 of 489
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by vinney57:

<strong>The last time Apple prised the credit card out of my pocket was 10 minutes after the Powerbook Ti was announced.....I'm getting that twitchy feeling again.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've never been a big fan of portables but if they released what you just suggested yours wouldn't be the only credit card they pried out of someone's pocket.

I would definitely not resist that :eek:
  • Reply 293 of 489
    Fuck all this PDA/Tablet nonsense. Those products are nothing more than Sharper image toys for dorks with too much money.

What Apple needs is a CONSUMER TOWER. Basically, take the current tower, remove all but one PCI slot, shrink it down by allowing less space for HDs, and you've got a consumer tower.

Now, for the PRo tower: Take the current tower, add a PCI slot, add TWO expandable drive bays, and that's a pro tower.

Price the pro towers as is. Price the consumer towers 900-1600. They won't cannibalize iMac sales, totally different demographics and the tower is w/o monitor.

If Apple did the above their sales would grow in leaps and bounds. They should hire me and I would teach them a few things about what sells in the computer marketplace. First I'd have to confiscate all bongs, seize all acid, and use metal detectors to find all the syringes. That stuff has it's place when designing the iTunes visuals, but not the bread and butter equipment.
  • Reply 294 of 489
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Junkyard Dawg

"What Apple needs is a CONSUMER TOWER."

Agreed.
  • Reply 295 of 489
    Codename I'd like to introduce you to my friend Jack because, judging from your cryptic posts, it's obvious that you don't know jack.
  • Reply 296 of 489
    (Moved to Dolphin Thread)

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: mackie9 ]</p>
  • Reply 297 of 489
    That product (above) looks awesome, but the iMac is and will continue to be all-in-one (unless this is supposed to be some in-between product and not an iMac). But I could see the screen legs straddling the base, attached at the top...so if the screen came off it would just act like an easel to place it on when not mobile.

However, I still say that any tablet Apple develops will be a product independent of a CPU. It will not be part of an iMac or anything else - besides, 15" is kinda big to carry around...in a tablet I'd look for iBook screen size. And it will supplement and drive other hardware sales in times like now where people aren't looking to purchase new systems, but maybe add a few cool toys.

The aspect of your design that I really like is the "short stack" cube.

-S
  • Reply 298 of 489
    Junkyard Dawg

"What Apple needs is a CONSUMER TOWER."

wasn't that the cube?? actually if i could buy a cube and a 15 or 17" lcd monitor for 1700 i probably would (ok, i definetly would--the cube should be sold bundled with an Apple studio display at a dicounted price)...so an up-dated cube that is priced right could be apple's consumer tower...just make it easy to add ram and change the battery and mainsteam users would be happy;

not what i think apple may do, but i hope:

iMac-$699-$799 crt education model--cd-r/20 gig hd/128 ram-G3

iMac2 (lcd)--$999-1499---3 models--

1.cd-r/40 gig hd

2.combo/60 gig hd

3. super/80 gig hd(not likely--but a man can dream)--G4 should be on iMac2 at all levels---leave G3 for crt education model.

cube/consumer tower--$1699-1999---maybe two models:

1. combo drive with 60 gig hd and 256 ram

2. superdrive w/ 80 hd and 256 or 512 ram--either comes bundled with 17in lcd ASD

pro-tower---see g5 thread for ideas---i gots nothing

if i could get a cube with superdrive and a 17 ASD for $2000 i would buy two and promise my next born child to steve jobs (of course, as my user name suggests, i will be having no more children...so that is an idle promise at best.

just dream thoughts, but it would be nice, is "doable" and would have me taking the wallet from my back pocket before S.J. was opening his second bottle of water on stage at MWSF....g
  • Reply 299 of 489
    whats the ipod screen size?

<a href="http://www.spymac.com"; target="_blank">www.spymac.com</a>

"Time will as well tell about iWalk. What we can offer is only that much at the moment: Apple appears to be working very closely with Samsung in order to get the displays for iWalk produced. They are said to be 384 * 288 pixels of size. This was confirmed by another source as well - we had hoped for a typo as we'd have loved to see a bigger display in iWalk. Nevertheless, this will at least increase chances for iWalk to be affordable, considering Apple's current pricing-strategy (wait - is there one...?)."

Is this about the ipod's screen size? Or is the ipod screen about 150x150 (my guess, as I can't afford one).

Maybe a Newton sized tablet-type deal that could slide into a slot on the imac and auto mount as an additional HD?
  • Reply 300 of 489
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by river-wind:

<strong>whats the ipod screen size?

<a href="http://www.spymac.com"; target="_blank">www.spymac.com</a>

"Time will as well tell about iWalk. What we can offer is only that much at the moment: Apple appears to be working very closely with Samsung in order to get the displays for iWalk produced. They are said to be 384 * 288 pixels of size. This was confirmed by another source as well - we had hoped for a typo as we'd have loved to see a bigger display in iWalk. Nevertheless, this will at least increase chances for iWalk to be affordable, considering Apple's current pricing-strategy (wait - is there one...?)."

Is this about the ipod's screen size? Or is the ipod screen about 150x150 (my guess, as I can't afford one).

Maybe a Newton sized tablet-type deal that could slide into a slot on the imac and auto mount as an additional HD?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't TRUST spymac AT ALL! They have a story up about some wireless technology called 'AirSurf' and claiming it is part of the iWalk... Problem is 'AirSurf' was trademarked in 1999 and then it was EXPIRED (marked as DEAD) in 2000. Had those guys taken just two seconds to look up the TM they would have known it!

Dave