Wall Street doesn't expect Google-Motorola deal to affect Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

True...what people should be doing is buying Scientific Atlanta stock right now (I believe they are the other big set top box making company).

I can assure you there are frantic calls from Sci Atl salespeople going out to all the cable companies.

What do set top boxes have to do with Motorola Mobility?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    The hedge fund mogul, Soros, just sold all his holdings in Google and purchased Motorola Solutions (the company that remains after the acquisition of Motorola Mobile).

I think this may just be the first of many hedge fund moves as a result of the Google deal.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Motorola Mobility includes the division that manufactures set top boxes.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's a part of the Home division of Motorola Mobility and included in the anticipated deal with Google.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fretless View Post

The hedge fund mogul, Soros, just sold all his holdings in Google and purchased Motorola Solutions (the company that remains after the acquisition of Motorola Mobile).

I think this may just be the first of many hedge fund moves as a result of the Google deal.

Links are our friends. Here, I'll help:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...lls-fargo.html

(the headline doesn't mention google, but the google sale is mentioned further down the page -- and note the timing of the sale suggests this is not a reaction to the merger announcement)
  • Reply 26 of 33
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

True...what people should be doing is buying Scientific Atlanta stock right now (I believe they are the other big set top box making company).

I can assure you there are frantic calls from Sci Atl salespeople going out to all the cable companies.

I think Scientific Atlanta is part of Cisco now.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    And FWIW France Telecom calls the deal "great news for the (mobile) industry".

http://allthingsd.com/20110815/u-s-c...t-a-thumbs-up/
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starwarrior View Post

What are they talking about? This will move the next thirty to one hundred percent rise in Apple stock price forward at least six months.

Apple's stock is invincible. It will continue to rise forever. They have shown that they are impervious to recessions. There is no business cycle anymore - not when it comes to Apple. It is always a sure thing to buy Apple stock.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

As a platform, Android is like a roman candle -- it shot up high in the sky, burned very brightly, but is now at risk of fading fast.

More like a balloon. It is getting totally over inflated and it will inevitably burst, let out all the hot air, and be worthless.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And FWIW France Telecom calls the deal "great news for the (mobile) industry".

http://allthingsd.com/20110815/u-s-c...t-a-thumbs-up/

Ironically, that link has FT calling it "great news" precisely because they expect Google/Moto to provide integrated devices like Apple.

Which would categorically NOT be "great news" for the rest of the Android HW makers.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] "Google surely recognizes the poorly marketed cadence of its OS releases and growing product, pricing and branding confusion among consumers and developers," he wrote. "While this acquisition may have been made under the guise of IP enhancement, its roots may lie in Android's forking, inconsistent user experience and poor momentum in tablets." [...]

Wow. Truer words were never spoken. The Android user experience is pretty forking inconsistent.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    I feel much better now, economists are never wrong, nor does the economy ever go down when they are left in charge

yay i finally got to use the devil smiley
  • Reply 33 of 33
    forisforis Posts: 25member
    No company with a working long term strategy would need to make an overvalued buy like this.

The patents are clearly not worth it (there's nothing new or earth-shaking about them, and Motorola has already got maximum value out of them).

So where's the value in Motorola's manufacturing arm? Hard to see - Motorola wasn't even making a profit, and there's nothing that can't be sourced better and cheaper elsewhere.

My conclusion is that Google is getting a bit desperate, not a sound basis for long term business decisions. Some analysts have been saying for a while that Google's business model doesn't have the legs to go long term, and it's beginning to look like they are right.

Sergey and Brin need to get a better quality crystal ball.