Apple offers buyback program for old iPhone, iPad, Macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Yes the prices to the buybacks of the items that are WORKING are probably not worth it. But has no one realized one thing.....an iPad costs Apple near $230 to make. So why the hell would they pay you the same or more (as some people sound like they want) for a product they could just make themselves instead of buying it off you.

Remember this is for RECYCLING. This isn't Apple trying to buy your products to get one over on their customers. Also, I do agree that it would be much more beneficial to just sell it to someone off Craigslist or Ebay or where ever.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

That's nonsense. The companies aren't charities. It IS about making money (because, you know, that's what companies try to do). ... Um, "what it's going for" and "what can I get for it" are actually valid means of determining value. And nice work on the douchebag move of trying to turn it back on the OP. You can't rip someone off on eBay unless you lie in your listing about the item you're selling (like by saying the iMac is in perfect condition when the CD-ROM drive doesn't function and you have to pray to the Mac gods every time your computer starts up). And if you sell a working Mac on eBay, chances are it's going to be used by the purchaser meaning it stays out of a landfill or inefficient recycling program.

It's a RECYCLING PROGRAM you idiot. Not a scam.

And people get ripped off on eBay every day of the week. Haven't you ever used it? eBay is just a giant flea market. Haven't you ever gone to one of those either?

The iPad in question is worth different amounts depending on what the buying program is and what the conditions of the device and the sale are. The *most* it is ever worth is the 300 bucks you can get on eBay for it because people are desperate to have it. That's not the same thing as what its' worth in parts and materials minus the cost of shipping, stripping, overhead etc.

To compare what you personally can get on eBay in an inflamed market for your one iPad to what a recycling program is going to offer you for the parts minus their overhead is just asinine. Your comparing Apples and Oranges and so is everyone else with this stupid eBay argument.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philgar View Post

So it's sketchy and a ripoff for you to sell your ipad for $350 or $400 on ebay. However, if another "official" company offers you $165 (of which they probably pay apple less than $150 for the giftcard) for your ipad and then they go and sell it on ebay, or through a refurbished store, or whatever "official" channel they use for $350, it's perfectly fine, and reasonable? ... (blah, blah, blah)

You're just fantasising here. You don't know they are going to re-sell it on eBay or as refurbished, it's a freaking recycling program.

It's also completely irrational to just imagine what they might be doing as you are here and then using that as an argument. Even if the computers *were* being re-sold on eBay or as refurbished which they clearly are not, you have to add in the cost of shipping, handling, testing, cleaning, repairs and then shipping and distributing at the other end. You don't think that would add to the cost?

And what about all the avarice filled idiots (seemingly all posting on this thread), who can't sell their iPad on eBay because it's screwed up in some way who simply lie through their teeth and send it to these guys instead? The percentage of crappy and or dead computers also has to be taken out of the totals.

Apple has their own refurbishing program that's been in place for many many years. This is not that. This is Apple *trying* to do some good, and getting crapped all over by a bunch of whiny selfish jerks IMO.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    p40whkp40whk Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You're just fantasising here. You don't know they are going to re-sell it on eBay or as refurbished, it's a freaking recycling program.

It's also completely irrational to just imagine what they might be doing as you are here and then using that as an argument. Even if the computers *were* being re-sold on eBay or as refurbished which they clearly are not, you have to add in the cost of shipping, handling, testing, cleaning, repairs and then shipping and distributing at the other end. You don't think that would add to the cost?

And what about all the avarice filled idiots (seemingly all posting on this thread), who can't sell their iPad on eBay because it's screwed up in some way who simply lie through their teeth and send it to these guys instead? The percentage of crappy and or dead computers also has to be taken out of the totals.

Apple has their own refurbishing program that's been in place for many many years. This is not that. This is Apple *trying* to do some good, and getting crapped all over by a bunch of whiny selfish jerks IMO.

I'll have to agree with this. I spent a month watching similar 2006 MAC Pros on ebay to figure what I could get for mine. I also looked through Craig's list ads. PowerMax, who I've done business with before, was quoting me about $50 shy of what my machine was selling for on ebay.

People pay for convenience, it's a service like any other product. I just sold my old MAC Pro to PowerMax and purchased a new MAC Mini and I have a new up to date machine for next to no cost to me. Shipping and tax included. No ebay or paypal fees to hassle with either.

The same type of recycle programs offered by a Wndows PC maker wouldn't give you anywhere close to what these MAC programs offer.

Is this for everyone? No but if you have an old machine that's ready for replacement then yes, this is a nice service.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    This program, with reusing and buy back, has been around for a long time. The only change whatsoever is that it now includes iPads and iPhones.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

This particular iPad is currently selling for 300-350 on eBay, but just because people are willing to pay ridiculous prices for a hot item on eBay, doesn't mean this offer is a "rip-off." A buyback program is not a retail store and the reason behind it isn't to make money or rip people off.

The price is calculated based on the actual value of the parts as a knock-down on the original retail price. The purpose is to determine the actual value of the thing, not "what it's going for" or "what I can get for it." If you want to make a ton of cash and you don't care about recycling or ripping people off ... basically if you just care about yourself ... then this program is not for you is it?

What you are looking for is a flea market, or maybe you should stand under some overpass somewhere hawking your wares.

Everything (well, some things) that you say would be true if not for the claim that the deal is at fair market price. It is not. Saying so is fraud.

If not for the claim, seemingly designed to fool the ignorant, I would have no problem with their scheme.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

My friend just got a new iPhone 4, so I checked to see what she could get for the 16GB black 3G with a slightly scuffed screen and mediocre battery life that she's replacing. The grand total? Zero. THey say the market value is zero--and that's including the power adapter and cord!

If the market value of a used iPhone is zero, why does the market buy and sell them every day for more than zero?

Who is "they"? And why do you trust them to set market prices? Market prices are set by the market as a whole, and not one player.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conscript View Post

Otherwise, this is a great service for someone who doesn't have the time or the knowledge how to sell things for themselves and would rather just get it over with and get something rather than not selling it at all and having the item rot in their basement.

If the seller is aware that he is giving up value for convenience, everything is fine. But when the seller is bamboozled into thinking that he is getting fair market value, the seller is the victim of fraud.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

It's a RECYCLING PROGRAM you idiot. Not a scam.

From the very first part of the very first sentence of the very first paragraph of the article we are discussing:

"Apple has enhanced its recycling program to add a new "reuse" option ..."

It is a REUSE program you *d**t. Not a recycling program.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

It's also completely irrational to just imagine what they might be doing as you are here and then using that as an argument. Even if the computers *were* being re-sold on eBay or as refurbished which they clearly are not,

The article makes clear that the OP is imagining very little. The article says that it is not a recycling program, but rather , a reuse program. Reuse, at least to me, implies that it will be used again. Used again implies that a new user will use it. I don't think it is far stretch to imagine that a for-profit corporation will sell them to the re-user.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    I wanted to see how much my 17 inch 1 ghz G4 swivel neck imac would fetch...

I WAS SHOWN A HIGH DEF PICTURE OF ONE OF STEVE JOB'S MIDDLE FINGERS!

In other words, no dollar value.

I'll keep it for nostalgia purposes, thank you.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I wanted to see how much my 17 inch 1 ghz G4 swivel neck imac would fetch...

I WAS SHOWN A HIGH DEF PICTURE OF ONE OF STEVE JOB'S MIDDLE FINGERS!

In other words, no dollar value.

I'll keep it for nostalgia purposes, thank you.

Or, you know, sell it on eBay because this program from Apple has absolutely nothing to do with giving you "top-dollar" value.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Brilliant. I know who I am dealing with, and I know how it will be disposed off. For those two attributes alone, I am more than comfortable settling for slightly less than 'best' (but iff-y) market value.

I'll use this for all my future purchases.

To me that's classic stuff anant. I'm going to eat an onion now.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It probably should have been explained more clearly that you're being offered market trade-in value, which is roughly what you would get if you tried to sell it to a used computer store. And trade-in value has to factor in the cost of replacing known bad parts, wipe the device, replace batteries and other things found to be wrong, then try to sell it at a price that recovers all those expenses and the expenses of keeping the doors open, lights on and rent paid.

As it is, I find completed listings for working 1GHz G4 17" iMacs, sold for as low as $60 on eBay. I can see why they wouldn't want to take that. Expenses can rack up quickly in a resale operation, and they need a markup to cover their costs. If they find they have to replace a part to sell it, any part, then they've just taken a loss if they gave 50% of the street price of the computer.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Like the idea, and I'm sure a lot of people will make good use of it.

Worth noting, however, for those that go looking, some companies offer the same service except they pay you cold hard cash.

So may some of these companies. But to get Apple to endorse them it likely came with payment only be via Apple card. After all, that would be how Apple could make any money off the deal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

As a frequent buyer and seller of tech stuff... this is BS. Nowhere near 'fair market value'.

Actually it very possibly is. It just doesn't seem like it cause those on craigslist etc are more than willing to over pay for something they really want. Especially if the supply is perceived as slim

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

No, Apple is not giving you full retail market value for the items. They are giving you wholesale market value.

Actually Apple isn't giving either. These are 3rd party companies doing this on behalf of Apple. And almost certainly with the condition that Apple stay out of the value issue. After all, if Apple wants to set the values they could just run the dang thing themselves.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

These services, while convenient, pay next to nothing. $245 for my 32GB iPhone 4 in great condition??? I might as well take it to a pawn shop.

But you don't HAVE to sell it do you?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Good lord ya'll, have none of you ever heard of selling to an intermediary? It works like this: you get the convenience of a known and central buyer. You are saved the hassle of finding your own buyer, which is extra time and effort and who may or may not be legit (Craigslist, I'm looking at you).

Since the intermediary makes money by reselling the item, they obviously can't pay "full market value" or there wouldn't be any profit left. This is how second hands stores, pawn shops, antique sellers etc. operate.

If finding your own buyer doesn't bother you, do so. Take the extra money. If you'd rather not run an eBay auction or have a stranger come to your house (or arrange a meeting in a parking lot) then this is an option. If you think it's a rip-off, then don't use them. It's not like they're coming to your house and seizing your old iPad and giving you insulting money.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

This isn't for you. Or really anyone who reads this forum. This program is for your mom. Your grandpa. It's for people who would probably just throw out their old electronics, or give them away (I had someone just give me their 3 year old MBP that "didn't work anymore". This is a better option for those people. $165>$0. This program will keep old tech out of landfills, not off ebay. I fully support that.

Excellent post and very true. A woman I work with (who is not very tech or market savvy) offered me her son's old Mac for the taking - she didn't even know what model it was. She just heard me mention that I was pricing Macs and said that he didn't use it, so she wanted to get rid of it. I've tried to give up my predatory ways of the past, so I told her that she should really try to sell it... not give it away. Not wanting to take advantage of her, combined with the fact that her life reads like an episode of Days of Our Lives, made me walk away from that offer.

But anyway, there are people like that. There are people among us for whom Ebay and Amazon are more than they can deal with. So the device goes in a cardboard box, until Uncle Freddy spills beer on it, and then it become a worthless brick destined for the landfill. So in that scenario, as you said: $165>$0.

As consumers or sellers, it is up to us to decide if something is a good or bad deal for us. Apple is making an offer. You can accept, decline or counter-offer (which they will probably refuse, but still). What with the information available on the internet these days, we have no excuse for making bad deals... other than the face in the mirror.

Just my 2 cents...
  • Reply 39 of 40
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

A working iPhone 3GS is worth at least $400.

I bet you got ripped off.

You understand the concept of a reseller right? If they paid you retail on the item, they would end up losing money.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    my respect for Apple just moved back up a tiny bit. This is great for people and the environment.

Good PR move Apple and if you make money on this, even better. A good example of capitalism. As people said it's for mom, not for us.

Thanks Apple.