Apple releases Mac OS X 10.7.1 with Wi-Fi improvements, audio out fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released Mac OS X 10.7.1, its first security and maintenance update for the newly released Lion operating system, with improved Wi-Fi reliability and resolutions for issues related to HDMI and optical audio output.

The update is available through Software Update and is a 17.4MB download. Apple recommends that all users running OS X Lion update to the latest version. Changes in Mac OS X 10.7.1, according to Apple, include:

Addresses an issue that may cause the system to become unresponsive when playing a video in Safari

Resolves an issue that may cause system audio to stop working when using HDMI or optical audio out

Improves the reliability of Wi-Fi connections

Resolves an issue that prevents transfer of your data, settings, and compatible applications to a new Mac running OS X Lion

The software update contains additional fixes for users running Apple's latest MacBook Air and Mac mini hardware, released last month. For those users, the latest update:

Resolves an issue where MacBook Air may boot up when MagSafe Adapter is attached

Resolves an issue causing intermittent display flickering on MacBook Air

Resolves an issue that causes the SD card slot in Mac mini to run at reduced speed with SD and SDHC media

Interestingly, test builds of Mac OS X 10.7.1 were not issued to developers prior to Tuesday's release. Developers were only given Mac OS X 10.7.2 for testing the forthcoming iCloud service.

The Lion 10.7.2 build issued to developers was not known to address any of the outstanding issues or glitches that were found in the initial release of Lion. It is not known why the company did not provide its Apple Developer Connection members with a pre-release beta of Mac OS X 10.7.1.

Lion was released in July for $29.99 as a download on the Mac App Store, and reached 1 million downloads in its first 24 hours of availability. Users who would prefer to have the operating system on a physical medium can pay a premium, and buy Lion for $69 from Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    10.7.1 was not issued to developers.

10.7.2 is roughly 650MBs in size and fixes some glaring Active Directory authentications issues and DFS share access issues.

What else it fixes I don't know as those were our 2 biggest problems with Lion.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    oh cool... I was wondering why I couldn't connect to the internet after waking my computer up from sleep, it was a Lion Wifi issue.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post

Which? is what it says.

Smallest 10.x.x update ever? I think so.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    HHhhmmmm... I'm so tempted, but I'm going to wait a little and see if 10.7.1 adds any new issues, especially since I don't see any of the problems I'm experiencing with Lion listed here.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    It just occurred to me that since Lion is in the app store, there's no longer an option for a combo update.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Small update - is 10.7 doing delta upgrades? or was that just iOS5?

Re combo update - will be interesting to see when the AppStore offers 10.7.1 as the download. It's not a combo update but you could do a clean install with no update needed.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

It just occurred to me that since Lion is in the app store, there's no longer an option for a combo update.

How would you have a combo update for the first update? There was no combo 10.6.1. There was no combo 10.5.1.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Hmmmm, my iMac will only shut down half the time, the rest it just sits there with a white screen with the small spinning black lines (sorry not sure how best to describe it), then I have to hold in the power button.

Highly annoying!
  • Reply 9 of 64
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Of course there is: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1437

Only the Lion purchase is from the app store. Updates apparently will be posted online.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Of course there is: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1437

Not a "combo" update.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

How would you have a combo update for the first update? There was no combo 10.6.1. There was no combo 10.5.1.

GRIN! Oops. Yikes, I'm not even thinking today.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Just went to check for software updates and the only one that shows up is the Lion Server 10.7.1 update.

[Edit] It appears if you've downloaded and installed Lion Server, the update is for both.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post

10.7.2 is roughly 650MBs in size and fixes some glaring Active Directory authentications issues and DFS share access issues.

What else it fixes I don't know as those were our 2 biggest problems with Lion.

It's probably in response to this issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 14 of 64
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Hmmm, where is it?

Just went to check for software updates and the only one that shows up is the Lion Server 10.7.1 update.

The usual place...

http://support.apple.com/downloads/
  • Reply 15 of 64
    WOW Apple, how hard is it to add an AirPlay button to QuickTime Player and Plugin?! For that matter, why not all iLife apps too?
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday released Mac OS X 10.7.1, its first security and maintenance update for the newly released Lion operating system, with improved Wi-Fi reliability and resolutions for issues related to HDMI and optical audio output. ...

Let's hope it also invisibly fixes some of the finder issues and video glitches that we know they will never own up to.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

oh cool... I was wondering why I couldn't connect to the internet after waking my computer up from sleep, it was a Lion Wifi issue.

I have the same problem. Hopefully it is fixed. Updating after TM backup is done.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

WOW Apple, how hard is it to add an AirPlay button to QuickTime Player and Plugin?!

Why not ask Steve why they haven't done it? There's probably a half dozen reasons you'll accept and three dozen reasons regular people would accept.

I can think of one: QuickTime can play AVIs (et. al.) with Perian. No iDevice can. So you can't be guaranteed viewing of your files when AirPlayed via QuickTime.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    I want to know how on earth an Air boots up when you plug in the mag-safe adapter?????
  • Reply 20 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    That WiFi issue was bugging the heck out of me. Patch is installed and taking the wait-and-see approach. Everything so far seems to be humming on my 3-week old MBA!