MacKeeper

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have my 1st Mac 27" and was wondering do I need something like Mackeeper, what do the techies suggest?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kennybouy View Post

I have my 1st Mac 27" and was wondering do I need something like Mackeeper, what do the techies suggest?

Congrats on your new shiny iMac, kenny!

MacKeeper doesn't do anything useful that I can see which warrants its price.

For removing superfluous language versions of help files, which may save you a couple gigs disk space, or for a web-based anti-theft feature, or for removing lingering application support files (some applications scatter thousands of small files all across your HD when they are installed; when you trash applications like that from your Applications folder all those now useless 'support files' are not removed and clutter up your HD space) there are excellent FREE solutions. Like e.g. Monolingual, Prey, and AppCleaner.

Save $ 40!

Plus it is a good idea to do a 'Permissions Repair' every few weeks (Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Disk Permissions) to 'rake' and 'weed' your 'data garden'.

And religiously make backups with Time Machine! Do you already have an external HD to do that to? You can spend that $ 40 on an external HD!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

For removing superfluous language versions of help files, which may save you a couple gigs disk space, or for a web-based anti-theft feature, or for removing lingering application support files (some applications scatter thousands of small files all across your HD when they are installed; when you trash applications like that from your Applications folder all those now useless 'support files' are not removed and clutter up your HD space) there are excellent FREE solutions. Like e.g. Monolingual, Prey, and AppCleaner.

Save $ 40!

Plus it is a good idea to do a 'Permissions Repair' every few weeks (Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Disk Permissions) to 'rake' and 'weed' your 'data garden'.

And religiously make backups with Time Machine! Do you already have an external HD to do that to? You can spend that $ 40 on an external HD!

Thanks for this partimer, I have been looking to buy a Mac for a number of yrs now and finally stopped procrastinating. Big step for me though, not too hot on computer geeky stuff. And yes, I have a 160gig memorex travel drive given to me some time ago. Do I use the Time Machine logo on the dock to use my external hard drive? cheers
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevenros View Post

Hello kenny,

mackeeper is basically designed to create free space in your disk. As you have just bought a new machine so, I don't think theres a need of such apps.

This is the initial stage of your Mac and you need to manage your volumes in a safe and efficient manner. You can have Stellar Partition manager for this task. Its Mac application with easy to use GUI.

Thanks too Steve, do I get Stellar Partition manager from the App store? and how do I set it up and use it or is it self explanatory, sorry about this, novice talking here. You guys have saved me some money, good skills...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Thanks too Steve, do I get Stellar Partition manager from the App store? and how do I set it up and use it or is it self explanatory, sorry about this, novice talking here. You guys have saved me some money, good skills...

Steve, downloaded SPM & it has put it on the right side of screen. I have double clicked it but window keeps popping up saying "Kindly copy the Stella P. M. executable in the application folder and run from there". I open the application folder, 1st folder right of the dotted line on my dock bar, and its already there? I'm sorry but don't understand this.... help
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Steve, downloaded SPM & it has put it on the right side of screen. I have double clicked it but window keeps popping up saying "Kindly copy the Stella P. M. executable in the application folder and run from there". I open the application folder, 1st folder right of the dotted line on my dock bar, and its already there? I'm sorry but don't understand this.... help

OK. You are running the utility from the mounted .dmg disc image file. Do this:
    1. Double-click on the .dmg disc image file to bring its content window to the forefront.

2. Drag the application icon from the content window to the Applications folder, Utilities folder, or wherever you want.

3. Dismount the disc image file from the Desktop [and Finder sidebar]. (You may have to quit Stella P. M. first.)

Double-click on your new Stella P. M. (not the .dmg file) icon to restart it.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Thanks... all good...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Do I use the Time Machine logo on the dock to use my external hard drive? cheers

Yep! Connect the drive, mount it on your desktop, and run Time Machine.

The first time can take a couple hours, depending on how much there is to back up, of course. Consecutive incremental backups will take only minutes per.

Have fun!
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kennybouy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

OK. You are running the utility from the mounted .dmg disc image file. Do this:
    1. Double-click on the .dmg disc image file to bring its content window to the forefront.

2. Drag the application icon from the content window to the Applications folder, Utilities folder, or wherever you want.

3. Dismount the disc image file from the Desktop [and Finder sidebar]. (You may have to quit Stella P. M. first.)

Double-click on your new Stella P. M. (not the .dmg file) icon to restart it.

If he is urged to "copy the Stella P. M. executable" I wonder if he maybe has the Windows version...? If so, it's no wonder it won't run on his Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

If he is urged to "copy the Stella P. M. executable" I wonder if he maybe has the Windows version...? If so, it's no wonder it won't run on his Mac.

The behavior described by the OP is wholly inconsistent with attempting to run a Windows application on the Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Save $ 40!

The idea of MacKeeper is to provide Mac users with all-in one app. Yes, there are free analogues to its Cleaning features, while you can hardly find free Undelete or Antitheft tools. In fact, you can hardly find Undelete app cheaper than 50$ while its only one feature MacKeeper has.

I appreciate your point of view, and just want to say the app offers a lot and offers free trial, so why not? 15 days seem to be enough to test all the tools and decide if its worth using.

P.S. Kenny, welcome to the Mac world!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SanaPaul View Post

The idea of MacKeeper is to provide Mac users with all-in one app. Yes, there are free analogues to its Cleaning features, while you can hardly find free Undelete or Antitheft tools. In fact, you can hardly find Undelete app cheaper than 50$ while its only one feature MacKeeper has.

I appreciate your point of view, and just want to say the app offers a lot and offers free trial, so why not? 15 days seem to be enough to test all the tools and decide if its worth using.

P.S. Kenny, welcome to the Mac world!

I downloaded the free trial but deleted it during the install. It said 2500% complete and was still going! If they can't even get that right I don't want it on my machine.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

I downloaded the free trial but deleted it during the install. It said 2500% complete and was still going! If they can't even get that right I don't want it on my machine.

But Apple's 3 decades long failure to accurately compute how long basic processing tasks, like file copying, will take isn't reason to ditch Apple products...?

Wouldn't you say that's a bonafide double-standard?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

But Apple's 3 decades long failure to accurately compute how long basic processing tasks, like file copying, will take isn't reason to ditch Apple products...?

Now that you mention it, yeah, that sucks!

But don't other OSs have the same bug?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    SanPaul, cheers and thanks, while a bit spooky getting used to Mac, I Love my iMac, as they say, should have got it years ago.....
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post

Now that you mention it, yeah, that sucks!

But don't other OSs have the same bug?

No, in my experience only other OS' have that bug. Windows can't seem to figure out the difference between twelve seconds and three hours.

Apple's reporting has never EVER–in my entire experience using their hardware–taken an amount of time equal or greater to the amount stated in said report. But that's me.

And since PartTroller's banned, I'll post his reply to my statement below:

"[something about me being a deluded fanboy] [middle part of the sentence] [something defaming Apple and 'unequivocally' proving that Apple's more flawed than any other OS out there]."

And I'm now done defaming him. You won't hear another negative peep out of me about PartTimer.

I figure we should get one post for letting off steam once a troll is banned, and that's mine for him. Carry on.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple's reporting has never EVER?in my entire experience using their hardware?taken an amount of time equal or greater to the amount stated in said report. But that's me.

Could be. That sounds like a resounding endorsement. Quite absolute too. You must have underlying research data to back it up, right?

What was the delta for instance? Is there a standard deviation? Can't it be compensated for?

Quote:

"[something about me being a deluded fanboy] [middle part of the sentence] [something defaming Apple and 'unequivocally' proving that Apple's more flawed than any other OS out there]."

And I'm now done defaming him. You won't hear another negative peep out of me about PartTimer.

I figure we should get one post for letting off steam once a troll is banned, and that's mine for him. Carry on.

Naaah, not a fanboy! You? Naaah!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

No, in my experience only other OS' have that bug. Windows can't seem to figure out the difference between twelve seconds and three hours.

Apple's reporting has never EVER?in my entire experience using their hardware?taken an amount of time equal or greater to the amount stated in said report. But that's me.

Hi, I'm back!

I see you missed me!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Hi, I'm back!

I see you missed me!

Indeed. Curious why you were banned, though. It obviously wasn't for the reasons I assumed (or if it was, you successfully appealed it).

Well, I can't have all the fun. Welcome back again.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Indeed. Curious why you were banned, though. It obviously wasn't for the reasons I assumed (or if it was, you successfully appealed it).

Well, I can't have all the fun. Welcome back again.

I was banned for what was termed a "racist" comment by a mod who apparently doesn't know the difference between 'race' and 'culture'. Quite funny, actually.

Next he'll be judging references to Windows users 'racist'

Not to worry: there's always a way.