I think my mac has a key stroke on it or something else????

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My credit card has been hi-jacked 2 times in the last 3 months...new accounts

I was on mail 4 weeks ago (os 10.6.7) and safari launched by its self and started down loading something I unplugged the computer...I have dial-up as well

Just yesterday my yahoo mail accounts password was hijacked and I had to change it..

I think there has to be something on my computer like a key stroke or something else...how to I know and how do I get rid of it...

Is there a program that can get rid of it and protect in the future...could this be the mac defender bug?

I buy on line and is there a encripting program that will protect me as well...

No idea...help!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

I think my mac as a key stroke on it

You mean keylogger. You don't have one.

Quote:

My credit card has been hi-jacked 2 times in the last 3 months...new accounts

You've probably given your information to crap sites that sold it.

Quote:

I was on mail 4 weeks ago (os 10.6.7) and safari launched by its self and started down loading something I unplugged the computer...I have dial-up as well

You shouldn't have opened that link. Was it a spam mail?

Quote:

Just yesterday my yahoo mail accounts password was hijacked and I had to change it..

That's because Yahoo! sucks at security.

Quote:

Is there a program that can get rid of it and protect in the future...could this be the mac defender bug?

MacDEFENDER doesn't do that.

Quote:

I buy on line and is there a encripting program that will protect me as well...

Only buy from sites that, when you check out, have URLs that start with "https://..."; Anything else is insecure.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    I have never had ANY Issues until 3 months ago...have been buying from good companies on line...I NEVER OPEN LINKS EVER!!!

Then why did Safari open by its self and try to down load something whith me doing anything...

This tells me something is on the computer...

Anyone else out there have any input?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean keylogger. You don't have one.

You've probably given your information to crap sites that sold it.

That's because Yahoo! sucks at security.

MacDEFENDER doesn't do that.

Only buy from sites that, when you check out, have URLs that start with "https://..."; Anything else is insecure.

• Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

I NEVER OPEN LINKS EVER!!!

You must have a terrible time with e-mail, then.

Quote:

Then why did Safari open by its self and try to down load something whith me doing anything...

It didn't. You would have had to click a link in an e-mail in Mail for it to do that. E-mails themselves can't possibly just open applications.

Quote:

Take a look in Activity Monitor to see if there are any processes you don't recognize. Though your knowledge of what processes are supposed to be there is probably pretty low, given your stated history of technical knowledge. And there's nothing at all wrong with that.

What you COULD do to see if anything is phoning home somewhere else is download Little Sntich. You still need to be able to understand what it asks you when it asks you things, but with Little Snitch, you are in complete control of all traffic to and from your machine.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

i have never had any issues until 3 months ago...have been buying from good companies on line...i never open links ever!!!

Then why did safari open by its self and try to down load something whith me doing anything...

Anyone else out there have any input?

ps i only buy from sites using https>>>
  • Reply 5 of 18
    We get e-mails but do not get things to down load or links sent by anyone and if I did I would never click on it for several reasons...dial up being one..

Apple told me to check out the activity monitor and have done so but have no idea what some things are...so its not really helpful...I did not see anything that got my attention...

Had the test of little sntich but removed it after several weeks as it was not helpful..need something that will say what things are...

So what caused the down load by its self...

Quote:

You must have a terrible time with e-mail, thn.

It didn't. You would have had to click a link in an e-mail in Mail for it to do that. E-mails themselves can't possibly just open applications.

Take a look in Activity Monitor to see if there are any processes you don't recognize. Though your knowledge of what processes are supposed to be there is probably pretty low, given your stated history of technical knowledge. And there's nothing at all wrong with that.

What you COULD do to see if anything is phoning home somewhere else is download Little Sntich. You still need to be able to understand what it asks you when it asks you things, but with Little Snitch, you are in complete control of all traffic to and from your machine.

• Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Had the test of little sntich but removed it after several weeks as it was not helpful..need something that will say what things are...

It DOES say what things are, but like I said, it's probably not too helpful if you don't understand what any of it means. When you see things like:

ubd wants to access port 443 (https) of p01-ubiquity.icloud.com

It gets confusing unless you know what that all means. Not a big deal; not many people take the time to learn what it all means.

Quote:

So what caused the down load by its self...

Nothing, because that can't happen, particularly if you're just minding your own business in Mail. You MUST click SOMETHING for anything to download. Occasionally, you can visit sites that will download files on their own, but that's completely irrelevant. NOTHING can run on its own on a Mac. Even if something downloads itself, you must click said downloaded file for it to run.

The only thing I can thing of remaining, provided you're not lying (and I don't believe that you are lying) is that someone's messing with you with Screen Sharing.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Well it did...I did not think it could happen but it did...I have never say download because we have dial up and so we do nothing but e-mail and web (as long as it takes on dial up)

Lying...kind of strong...any why would I waist the time to load this page to just lie...

No one is messing with my screen sharing as its only me and no one has access to this computer...

so I need a geek! to tell me why...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:

No one is messing with my screen sharing as its only me and no one has access to this computer...

If you haven't clicked anything untoward then someone else has. There's no magic involved.

But since no one else did, you say, you were IT, my friend!

You can't both have your cake and eat it.

Quote:

so I need a geek! to tell me why...

Seems you don't want a geek but a kowtower who agrees with you no matter what.

But it simply doesn't work like that, dmfett.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

If you haven't clicked anything untoward then someone else has. There's no magic involved.

But since no one else did, you say, you were IT, my friend!

You can't both have your cake and eat it.

Seems you don't want a geek but a kowtower who agrees with you no matter what.

But it simply doesn't work like that, dmfett.

Interesting forums and so call help..

Now the only thing I ever do is go to the apple store to get updates since I have dial-up...so it could be that the apple stores has someone hacking it (my computer) out side the store..this all started when I got the up date that put the app store app on the dock...within one week my credit card was hijacked...so that is it..
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

...the apple stores has someone hacking it...

Now you're pushing the boundaries of credulity. I realize that you're trying to give an explanation to your problems, but there's plausible and then there's nonsensical. You having dial-up lends even less credence to the 'remotely controlling' theory, as those kinds of connections are wretched for that sort of thing.

All that means is one less thing to worry about it being. No one's gonna remote desktop over dial-up!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Now you're pushing the boundaries of credulity. I realize that you're trying to give an explanation to your problems, but there's plausible and then there's nonsensical. You having dial-up lends even less credence to the 'remotely controlling' theory, as those kinds of connections are wretched for that sort of thing.

All that means is one less thing to worry about it being. No one's gonna remote desktop over dial-up!

This will be my last post and the person in charge can remove it after this post...

Forums are for help and this experience was not at all helpful...and if someone is offended by me saying this , deal!

I always felt that what ever happened to my computer happened at the apple store and I would never open anything even if I have a Mac..also I also feel that dial-up will stop any hi-jacking, but my computer did try to down something on its own...but its seems I musty be in "never never land"....

Being insulted and someone saying "provided you're not lying" don't get this and you saying I'm "pushing the boundaries of credulity" Well all I want is help and not being put down...

Do not read if you get offended This forums always was helpful years ago and it is not worth my time being insulted when I only wanted help....

Sorry to waist my and your time...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Forums are for help and this experience was not at all helpful...

We might have been more help if anyone else had actually responded (......) and if you could have explained it a little better or been able to diagnose things on your end.

I always felt that what ever happened to my computer happened at the apple store

Quote:

Being insulted and someone saying "provided you're not lying"

You'll also notice (though you didn't) that I said I didn't believe you were lying.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nancycy View Post

If you suspect there is a keylogger in your Mac, try the following ways:

Step 1 Open the Activity Monitor to check for unknown process. This system tool will allow you to view the programs (processes) currently running on your computer.

Step 2 Check and Research any unfamiliar processes running in your “Activity Monitor.” Critical system processes sometimes have unrecognizable names, however, and keyloggers may have a name that sounds legitimate.

Your Step 1 is virtually identical to your Step 2...? That's not enlightening, but rather confusing the issue.

And it has been established that tech jargon (like the names of critical system processes) doesn't mean anything to the OP, so he doesn't have a clue what he is looking at in the Activity Monitor.

Quote:

Step 3 Download and install a mac keylogger detector or another software firewall. This type of mac software alerts you when another program tries to connect to the Internet. It will detect a keylogger for mac before it sends information over the Internet, and allow you to block it.

Any suggestions for that 'mac keylogger detector'...?

It might of course have been helpful if the OP had posted some crucial screenshots, or cache dumps, or traffic logs, etc.

But alas. He didn't. So his technical problem never became really clear (odds are there wasn't one). Thus possible suggested solutions are just as iffy.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    First off I'll start by saying Tallest Skil has the most arrogant and pompass attitude I've ever seen - for any poster on any mac forum to date. You shouldn't treat users like dirt. You are obviously not a genius. As for the technical side.. remote code execution vulnerabilities exist(ed) in QuickTime and in other components of OS X that can be triggered without user invervention. You can't assume anything. Once a script is dropped on a machine, you can possibly have no control over what will happen.

The OP gave relevant information and was quite clear. To the OP, I would suggest they download a trial version of Intego's VirusBarrier X6, update the definitions, enable keylogger & hacking tool detection (and the rest of the stuff on that page for that matter) etc. through the Scan Settings -> Advanced detection and do a full system scan. There are keyloggers, rootkits and exploits for OS X. Scanning for these would be a good start.

If you need some help with this, PM me and I'll be happy to lend a hand. Good luck!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by open-apple View Post

First off I'll start by saying Tallest Skil has the most arrogant and pompass attitude I've ever seen - for any poster on any mac forum to date.

Aw, shucks. I'm blushing.

Quote:

You shouldn't treat users like dirt.

That's a hilarious conclusion. Asking repeatedly for more information and shooting down outlandish theories that couldn't possibly be true is "treating like dirt". Huh.

Did you read his posts? I'll give you highlights of mine, at least.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You having dial-up lends even less credence to the 'remotely controlling' theory, as those kinds of connections are wretched for that sort of thing.

Quote:

You'll also notice (though you didn't) that I said I didn't believe you were lying.

That's about as straightforward and helpful as I could be, given the situation and lack of information (which I ALSO stated to him). Also considering he wouldn't take "there isn't a keylogger on your machine" for an answer when, if you believe that what he said he has done is the truth, which I did, there couldn't be one on his machine.

Quote:

The OP gave relevant information and was quite clear.

No, not really.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by open-apple View Post

First off I'll start by saying Tallest Skil has the most arrogant and pompass attitude I've ever seen

Ah, you noticed that too, eh? Well, it's hard to miss of course.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post

Ah, you noticed that too, eh? Well, it's hard to miss of course.

So your point in bringing this thread back up was? what?

Do you have anything to support the starter's opinion that they'd been hacked by Apple?

Do you know the process name of any Mac keyloggers so we could look in Activity Monitor to find it?

HE'S NEVER GOING TO POST AGAIN. He said so himself.

So if you have a problem with me, either talk to me directly (for whatever reason, I'm NEVER short with people in PMs) or use that Ignore List that some people flout in others' faces. I have no problem with you, nor anyone else here (that isn't a blatant troll).
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Reconfirmed.
    fastasleep