HP to spin off PC business to focus on enterprise software

Comments

• Reply 41 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Hold on a second. Where did AppleInsider get the idea that HP was killing off WebOS? No other outlet is reporting that, and those claims aren't answered or sourced here.

Jumping the gun much, AI?

Web OS is being kept alive but HP will no longer make devices for it. In other words it is at the mercy of other manufacturers who may or may not want to use WebOS.
  • Reply 42 of 253
    Well I suppose best buy will be stuck with them webOS tablets after all!

HP is correctly recognizing that there is no future in the PC business, at least they are not in denial like Ballmer. People will still use PCs for a while but the market won't be growing, but rather consolidating. HP will likely focus on servers, clouds, datacenter products in general, and services. Good for them!

The webOS was a turkey of an idea and they are cutting their losses early! Long live palm, RIP!

Unless Microsoft puts Moses on their payroll,the battle will be between Apple and moto-goo or whatever they decide to name that "thing". Contest anyone?

Others will likely pull out of android unless they are complete idiots.
  • Reply 43 of 253
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    No that is not a spin off, that was a sale. A spin off is when one company breaks off part of itself to start a new company. Here is a good example of a spin off.

There Motorola gave its mobile phone assets to a new company it started along with 3.5 billion dollars. The new company Motorola Mobility then became its own entity. That is the company Google just bought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Does "spin off" mean something along the lines of what IBM did with Lenovo? Or does it means something else entirely?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

• Reply 44 of 253
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

This is bad news for all of us. We need strong competition to drive innovation and competitive pricing. Hopefully the spun off HP can survive and thrive. Or be sold to capable hands.

Not really. Just let Apple have the mobile market to themselves. Since they were "first", no one else has the right to dabble in it anyway. They can charge what they wish and sue any competition that crops up out of existence since they'll own most of the patent value in mobile, have all the cash they got from buyers willing to buy Apple products at any cost, and will be the only ones who can afford to drag legal fights out for years if need be. If you can't afford to buy an Apple, tough luck. You obviously didn't need/deserve a tablet or smartphone that bad anyway.
  • Reply 45 of 253
    Mmmm... I wonder if Jon Rubinstein will be spun-off...

It appears that he already has experienced "Percussive Sublimation".

HP Replaces Jon Rubinstein as Head of webOS
  • Reply 46 of 253
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Web OS is being kept alive but HP will no longer make devices for it. In other words it is at the mercy of other manufacturers who may or may not want to use WebOS.

Thank you, I was just about to pose the same question. The webOS part is almost the main news to me, I already knew PCs were over, Steve already told us that
  • Reply 47 of 253
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm watching cable tv on my ipad at the moment, and an ad just came on for the HP TouchPad.

People who bought that tablet sure are dumb. Now HP just killed off all WebOS devices.

The idiot CEO said that they were running a marathon. Instead, it turned out to be the world's shortest sprint .

Cya............
  • Reply 48 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Well I suppose best buy will be stuck with them webOS tablets after all!

I wonder if that HP executive is still heading over to Best Buy to ask them to be patient...
  • Reply 49 of 253
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What does Dell have that Apple could use? From what I can see Apple could follow in Dell's footsteps of making cheap 'PCs' is they chose to. Luckily for us they don't.

Apple could just shut her down, distribute the money to the shareholders.
  • Reply 50 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm... I wonder if Jon Rubinstein will be spun-off...

It appears that he already has experienced "Percussive Sublimation".

HP Replaces Jon Rubinstein as Head of webOS

I'm sure Apple would loan them a large spin dryer.
  • Reply 51 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

Apple could just shut her down, distribute the money to the shareholders.

Nah, let them lose their shirts. Sorry I shouldn't gloat at the thought of Michael Dell suffering his predicted fate for Apple ... oh Hell why not?
  • Reply 52 of 253
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

"HP, a storied Silicon Valley icon that dominates the personal computing industry, announced it will discontinue the WebOS-based "TouchPad" tablet computer and phones, which have failed to catch on with consumers." - Reuters

Wow! Rubinstein is going to have a hard time putting a positive spin on THAT.

HP is making the decision to cut their losses on the Palm acquisition. Good move for them. Will some other company express an interest in owning/developing WebOS?

Edit: Just saw the announcement of Rubinstein's replacement. Aieeeeeeeeeeeeee....splat
  • Reply 53 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I think AI should update their style guide so that the picture of Apple's new "spaceship" is appended to every article, sort of like a halo. The juxtaposition is amplified when the article in question has nothing to do with the new Apple HQ, for example, when talking about the demise of HP's webOS division.

I have provided a sample. Bathe in the magnificent light of my post! Behold the Apple Halo!

I like it better with the clouds -- you can almost see the angels looking down... smiling...
  • Reply 54 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thank you, I was just about to pose the same question. The webOS part is almost the main news to me, I already knew PCs were over, Steve already told us that

HP is still envisioning a WebOS world where it will be found in our tv's, printers, cars, toasters... that sort of thing... until next week, of course, when someone will ask them about WebOS and HP will respond, "WebOS? What? Are you even speaking english?!".
  • Reply 55 of 253
    Woa, are they killing their tablets and Palm OS?
  • Reply 56 of 253
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Hold on a second. Where did AppleInsider get the idea that HP was killing off WebOS? No other outlet is reporting that, and those claims aren't answered or sourced here.

Jumping the gun much, AI?

Actually no.... Google err Google News for webOS and you will find all the major publications reporting on it.

WebOS is dead, touchpad is dead, and after looking at the stock market I'm not feeling great either!
  • Reply 57 of 253
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It sounds like HP is following IBM in an orderly exit from the hardware business. They're going to do software and services.

in the consumer market, yes, but within the enterprise / commercial space HP is quite strong.
  • Reply 58 of 253
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

I wonder if that HP executive is still heading over to Best Buy to ask them to be patient...

He was wondering why they only gave him a one-way ticket.
  • Reply 59 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Actually no.... Google err Google News for webOS and you will find all the major publications reporting on it.

WebOS is dead, touchpad is dead, and after looking at the stock market I'm not feeling great either!

All the publications are not reporting that it is dead. Read what they are saying. HP is keeping WebOS alive but they are killing all devices that use it. (... and, yes, in any sane person's mind that is just as good as dead, but it is not what HP is saying... WebOS lives...).
  • Reply 60 of 253
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    A friend of mine works for Autonomy. They're a very smart group of people. I wonder what advantages they get from being bought by HP.