HP to spin off PC business to focus on enterprise software

Comments

• Reply 81 of 253
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Meanwhile check out Dell who's quietly running a 102 degree fever over in the corner there.
  • Reply 82 of 253
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

It's probably worth something and they may just sell it at a bargain price. Maybe Samsung or HTC since their Android champagne dreams have turned in to nightmares.

Do they have 'As is' contracts for software I wonder?
  • Reply 83 of 253
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Ex-SAP CEO converting HP into an SAP clone?
  • Reply 84 of 253
    I suspect that Jon Rubinstein was on that Wells Fargo Stage Coach that carried an HP executive from Palo Alto to Minneapolis, to talk to a BestBuy executive.

...What I didn't realize was that Jon would be in the trunk

...Shades of Lee Marvin as Kid Shelleen in Cat Ballou
  • Reply 85 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

This is bad news for all of us. We need strong competition to drive innovation and competitive pricing. Hopefully the spun off HP can survive and thrive. Or be sold to capable hands.

So what innovation has the unholy team of Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, actually accomplished over the years? Most of the "improvements" were incremental features added to existing form-factor, which includes the ill-fated, cheap, underpowered "netbooks" from the hardware side. From the production side only Dell innovated the approach to delivering computers to buyers, everyone else pretty much slowly followed suit. This isn't to say that SOME of the hardware wasn't good, that some of the features and ideas weren't cool or useful. There were some decent machines built by these companies, but not innovative in any real sense as far as consumer electronics is concerned.

The point is competition in this part of the marketplace has NOT resulted in any innovation, only a poor sort of evolving. Competitive pricing yeah, that was a benefit, except the market is clearly voting down the old paradigm of computing by not buying it - which is driving down prices faster and more effectively than the "competition" ever did.

Whether HP PC survives depends solely on its ability to innovate. At this stage of the game, it has not demonstrated the ability or desire to - so it may be too late.
  • Reply 86 of 253
    Sweet!!! $100 Touchpads here we come!!!!!!
  • Reply 87 of 253
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Michael Dell made a really dumb comment about Apple many years ago.

Apple should buy Dell and then shut them down, fire everybody and call it a day. Liquidate the entire company. Apple would end up getting the last laugh.

If I was Steve Jobs, I'd buy Dell, not for their expertise, their know how, their knowledge or anything like that. Making shitty, cheap PC's and selling them for dirt cheap is something that a crackhead bum is probably qualified to do. That is not a market that Apple wants to be a part of.

Wow, bitter much?

Dell actually provides a lot of excellent, enterprise products and services that Apple cannot touch. Some of the best servers and RAIDs I've worked with are from Dell, and their service for said products is top-notch. Trying to pigeonhole a company like Dell as simply a maker of cheap PCs is ridiculous.
  • Reply 88 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Wow! I mean, just wow! I don't think anyone saw this coming. Even God is sitting on his cloud, mouth agape, rubbing his eyes.

Man, if I was one of the nine people who bought a TouchPad, I'd be SO pissed!

Maybe RIM will follow suit in the tablet space?

One would think that RIM would be smart enough to do that but both its CEOs are boneheads with gigantic chips on their shoulders! They will rather see the company self-incinerate than admit failure.
  • Reply 89 of 253
    I read this:

* HP <hpq.n>-plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for

webos devices, specifically the touchpad and webos phones

* HP <hpq.n> says will continue to explore options to optimize the value of

webos software going forward

* HP <hpq.n> says authorized the exploration of strategic alternatives for

its personal systems group

* HP - to announce its board of directors has authorized the exploration of

strategic alternatives for its personal systems group

* HP- will consider range of options that may include,among others,a full

or partial separation of psg from hp through a spin-off

* HP -will consider broad range of options that may include full or partial

separation of psg from hp

To me, that means that HP wants to Sell or license WebOS
  • Reply 90 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Sweet!!! $100 Touchpads here we come!!!!!!

Or one free with every $1000 purchase at BestBuy.
  • Reply 91 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Do they have 'As is' contracts for software I wonder?

• Reply 92 of 253
    OK am I the only one that is going to point out that nowhere in this article does it mention a spin off? The headline probably was not written by the author, so that doesn't count. All the article says is that HP is considering strategic options for the PC division... and even that is a one-liner.
  • Reply 93 of 253
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    With Android under patent siege and fragmented, Dell ditching the Streak, Google alienating Samsung & HTC, WebOS out, Microsoft is quickly becoming the only alternative for Apple. Who'd ever have thought that? They certainly have a window of opportunity now. They should grow their app base like crazy. Developers! Developers! Developers!

Something else: Recall Jobs' "we're going to innovate ourselves out of a recession?". He did. And the fall out is upsetting multiple industries. What a ride...
  • Reply 94 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

When "they" say shit like this I have to wonder where that idea comes from. Why would Apple buy one of two loser companies when they are doing just fine as Apple? Take a look at their numbers much?

Dell shouldn't be bought by Apple. They should be flushed down the toilet.

While you are entitled to your opinion, your statement demonstrates a stunning lack of knowledge about these companies and the markets they compete in.

Dell and Apple compete in a few market segments, but increasingly they are vastly different companies, with different products, competing in different segments. A large part of Dell (and HP's) revenue comes from Enterprise solutions (Servers, Storage, & Networking) as well as Services. Apple is primarily focused on Client technologies such as PC's, Laptops, SmartPhones, and Tablets.

Please do your research before you make provocative and outright ignorant statements
  • Reply 95 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I read this:

To me, that means that HP wants to license WebOS

WebOS totally fails in the market as intended but they want to license it to be used to run microwave ovens I bet. I see a marvelous opening for Apple to offer iOS for such things if they do. Think about it, use most successful OS and then the microwave can be part of the rest of the home's network of iPads etc, not an orphan.
  • Reply 96 of 253
    Hmmm...

Maybe Google should buy HP-PSG/Palm/WebOS...
  • Reply 97 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Ex-SAP CEO converting HP into an SAP clone?

Good catch!
  • Reply 98 of 253
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:

I read this:

* HP - to announce its board of directors has authorized the exploration of

strategic alternatives for its personal systems group

* HP- will consider range of options that may include,among others,a full

or partial separation of psg from hp through a spin-off

* HP -will consider broad range of options that may include full or partial

separation of psg from hp

To me, that means that HP wants to Sell or license WebOS

Interesting take. Maybe Samsung or HTC will bite. Didn't Palm also have some patent portfolio that might interest parties?

Or Apple buys it and Jon Rubinstein (ex NeXT) returns to Steve.
  • Reply 99 of 253
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Berkshire-Hathaway would be the most credible candidate.

That would be very UNLIKE Berkshire-Hathaway. BH tends to buy companies with great prospects and lots of value. They don't very often buy bargain basement losing companies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Well I suppose best buy will be stuck with them webOS tablets after all!

Maybe, but I don't believe that Best Buy has lost all leverage. After all, they still sell a TON of HP printers and ink.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

No that is not a spin off, that was a sale. A spin off is when one company breaks off part of itself to start a new company.

But an action can involve both a spin-off and a sale, so the fact that it was a sale doesn't mean it couldn't have involved a spin-off, too. See my lengthy explanation.

Quote:

The only thing I'd add is that sometimes the reason for the spin-off is to allow either a) or b) (or both) to go private.

Yes. Again, it is important to separate the process (spin-off) from the result. A spin-off can end up with lots of different results. That said, it is more difficult to use a spin-off to go private. You have to be careful that you're not taking equity out of the shareholders' hands and putting it in the ownership of a different entity.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

So what innovation has the unholy team of Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, actually accomplished over the years?

Actually, the post you were responding to said that the various players have contributed innovation AND cost competitiveness. They have clearly provided the latter. I don't think anyone would have predicted 20 years ago that one could buy a very fast computer for the equivalent of $100 in 1990 dollars.
  • Reply 100 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

With Android under patent siege and fragmented, Dell ditching the Streak, Google alienating Samsung & HTC, WebOS out, Microsoft is quickly becoming the only alternative for Apple. Who'd ever have thought that? They certainly have a window of opportunity now. They should grow their app base like crazy. Developers! Developers! Developers!

Something else: Recall Jobs' "we're going to innovate ourselves out of a recession?". He did. And the fall out is upsetting multiple industries. What a ride...

Microsoft certainly will come in second by default it seems. The old tortoise just waddled along and will be picking it's way around the dead bodies trying to catch sight of Apple.