HP to spin off PC business to focus on enterprise software

Comments

• Reply 121 of 253
    HPQ was -6% on the day and after hours -2% additional.

I expect as the news is digested, it will have an upswing in the coming weeks.
  • Reply 122 of 253
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Given Google's backstabbing of their 'partners' in buying Moto, I think its pretty likely that Samsung, LG, HTC, or some other Android maker will pick up WebOS.

Given the need for a plan B, that makes WebOS quite valuable. They're not going to just toss it away.

That's the best thought so far. Oh boy would that be fun to watch! "Here google take your Android and shove it" by not making hardware HP can be as Microsoft is to those manufacturers, just the OS! I think you cracked it. So then we'd have Microsoft against HP fighting for what Apple leaves behind. Google then has to become like Apple as in hardware and Software ... That will be a disaster.
  • Reply 123 of 253
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

As many of us predicted, HP fucked up WebOS. HP isn't a software company and had no idea what to do with it. Bummer too because if it gone to the right company it could have given Apple a run for their money. Oh well...

Excuse me, but Palm is the one who screwed it up. By the time HP got to it, there was little hope left. Give credit where it's due.
  • Reply 124 of 253
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Dell shouldn't be bought by Apple. They should be flushed down the toilet.

Brutal. But after Michael Dell's infamous dissing of Apple back in the day, entirely appropriate.
  • Reply 125 of 253
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Apple should buy it if it is reasonably priced and sit on it for awhile. HP is not a bad company. They have some decent products like printers. The webOS is not quite ready for "Prime Time" it can't compete with the iPad. I think that HP is very smart for doing this spin-off. HP is sticking to what they know unlike a lot of companies out there trying to beat Apple at their own game. This is getting very interesting!!
  • Reply 126 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Or Apple buys it and Jon Rubinstein (ex NeXT) returns to Steve.

You mean "The prodigal son returns..." Ain't gonna happen !! Too much bad blood.
  • Reply 127 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Ex-SAP CEO converting HP into an SAP clone?

An IBM clone.

As with IBM, we might now see HP selling solutions that involve Apple hardware and software, something they couldn't do before.
  • Reply 128 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

You mean "The prodigal son returns..." Ain't gonna happen !! Too much bad blood.

He didn't say Ruben was returned in one piece.
  • Reply 129 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

HP is *NOT* killing WebOS!!! They are just spinning off the hardware side of it!! Nice misleading reporting, AI!

But, would you rather see webOS dead or trapped inside your kitchenaid fridge or controlling the hydraulics and xenon lamps of the next Chrysler 300. Just sayin
  • Reply 130 of 253
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Well, if you call grinding your competition into dust, throwing them into open graves, pissing on them, burying them in flaming horse manure and leaving nothing behind but scorched earth 'winning', then, yes. It's winning.

*sustained laughter*

No, winning is feeding your competition while still alive to starving pigs, then saving the pig manure that comes out and sending it to their stockholders.
  • Reply 131 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

But, would you rather see webOS dead or trapped inside your kitchenaid fridge or controlling the hydraulics and xenon lamps of the next Chrysler 300. Just sayin

I'd rather see iOS Lite in those places talking to my iPad.
  • Reply 132 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Wow, bitter much?

Dell actually provides a lot of excellent, enterprise products and services that Apple cannot touch. Some of the best servers and RAIDs I've worked with are from Dell, and their service for said products is top-notch. Trying to pigeonhole a company like Dell as simply a maker of cheap PCs is ridiculous.

You can't properly describe it as something that Apple can't touch, when Apple has no interest in doing it at all. Saying that they can't touch it implies that they've been working hard at it, but are not doing well. Apples servers were for small businesses and apple oriented media firms. They decided it wasn't worth their interest, so they got out of it.

People I know at large companies have said that Apple could have done well if they stopped insisting that the only servers they would make were one space models, and refusing to make blades.
  • Reply 133 of 253
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Breaking News: The hundreds of customers that bought the TouchPad are rushing back to Best Buy to return their scrap.
  • Reply 134 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Interesting take. Maybe Samsung or HTC will bite. Didn't Palm also have some patent portfolio that might interest parties?

Or Apple buys it and Jon Rubinstein (ex NeXT) returns to Steve.

The word was that Apple originally offered $600 million for Palm, but didn't seem seriously interested. Sort of like lowballing a bid on eBay, hoping that no one else is interested.
  • Reply 135 of 253
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Disappointing.

At one time HP was actually among the leaders in the tablet market. I still own one of their tablet PCs, which for its time was cutting edge.

I thought if any company could actually put up some legitimate competition to the iPad, it would be HP, especially with their acquisition of Palm and webOS.

Hopefully they will be smarter about developing and marketing webOS for use on other tablet devices.

When there's healthy competition in the market, we all win.
  • Reply 136 of 253
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

HP is *NOT* killing WebOS!!! They are just spinning off the hardware side of it!! Nice misleading reporting, AI!

Get real. It's dead.

If HP can't sell their own devices with webos, then why would anybody else waste their time licensing

a niche OS and making hardware that nobody wants, when a huge company like HP can't do it?

Do you think that all of the Android manufacturers are all of a sudden going to scramble to pay money and license a failed OS, when they can just keep on pumping out Android devices with little or no licensing fee?
  • Reply 137 of 253
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Some say Apple should buy Dell, but the synergy may be ripe for HP.

Though it is expensive.

Apple buys companies that are low market value with high IP upside. HP is about 99% too high priced for that to happen.

Unlike Google who needs a hardware company with a large patent portfolio, Apple doesn't need one. It is only looking for areas that expands it's IP and provides new and interesting tech to extend and work within it's growing ecosystem.

HP really has self-destructed.
  • Reply 138 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd rather see iOS Lite in those places talking to my iPad.

Oh that's a trick statement! iOS is Lite! But will apple license it for those uses? Quite possibly!
  • Reply 139 of 253
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Jon was never the prodigal son. I wrote a few comments back on threads discussing the history and his view of always wanting to be the visionary he never could be.
  • Reply 140 of 253
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Actually, what's perfectly obvious is that they will simply license WebOS to anyone who wants to use it. They said as much months ago, even before the touchpad crashed and burned.