Apple ordered raid on New York store to seize knock-off accessories

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Yes, the raid is normally done by law enforcement on a warrant signed by a judge. In a civil case it just happens that is it the plaintiff that asks for and provides the judge the warrant, not the police.

No different than getting a judge to order the Sheriff to execute an eviction order. The owner & lawyer provide all the paperwork, the judge has to be satisfied it is legit and then signs the eviction order and directs the Sheriff to do the action.

In counterfeit cases it has been done this way for decades, seems to happen a lot for knockoff clothing and nobody defends the counterfeiter and sellers then.

The misunderstanding is because the author (Josh Ong) is more interested in generating clicks than accurate reporting.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Good job Apple! These criminals cost America jobs and the criminals who run the ripoff industries need to be made to pay triple what they earned, run out of business and have all assets seized, and then run out of the country - rather than leeching off the ingenuity of others. This is the dark side of 'globalization'.

Now if only our government a) cracked down on fake overseas junk and the Death of a Thousand Cuts and b) stopped waging illegal wars in distant lands, maybe our western economies would once again be as good as that of Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Ha ha?I saw the headline and knew people would jump to screaming about a situation that isn?t quite what the headline says

And Apple can?t ?order? a police raid. The police follow the law, and will carry out the seizure because Apple is on the right side of the law. Not to follow Apple ?orders."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Hmm... I wonder why Apple wants a list of all customers that purchased items from the store.

Good question. Maybe to offer them a discount on the real thing (paid for by these proceedings, or not)? And get customer GOOD will instead of the BAD will resulting when those people think they have a real Apple product?and it sucks. Or, maybe just to notify them of the situation.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

U.S. District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto has also granted a request for a preliminary injunction against sales of the knock-off goods at the two stores.

Wasn't boss Matsumoto killed by O-Ren-Ishii? Also, is it surprising that a store selling crap is in need of Flushing.

Well, that was my useless post for the day.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Hmm... I wonder why Apple wants a list of all customers that purchased items from the store.

More than likely to give them official Apple merchandise, in return for the knock-offs. Both as a goodwill gesture and to get them off the streets, where they can continue to tarnish Apple's reputation.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

More than likely to give them official Apple merchandise, in return for the knock-offs. Both as a goodwill gesture and to get them off the streets, where they can continue to tarnish Apple's reputation.

APPLE would be crazy to exchange real product for fake. Apple should try to inform these people that they bought fake product and that they should return them to the store they were bought from.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The days have come when the corporations have taken over the powers of government in this country.

That's because the government is too busy borrowing/printing money. ....
  • Reply 28 of 54
    This just goes to show Apples turn to being a bully and a ruthless Corp. The old think different campaign could now be called Think Greed. Sure protecting your patents is all fine and well. Some how this seems over the top. After all Apple sits on 76 BIllion in cash, how much in sales do you think one store like this affects them. I am not saying they should be allowed to sell knock offs after all you can get fake lois Vitton anywhere but asking for the names of their customers was totally uncalled for. Thats just too big brother.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sternapples53 View Post

This just goes to show Apples turn to being a bully and a ruthless Corp. The old think different campaign could now be called Think Greed. Sure protecting your patents is all fine and well. Some how this seems over the top. After all Apple sits on 76 BIllion in cash, how much in sales do you think one store like this affects them. I am not saying they should be allowed to sell knock offs after all you can get fake lois Vitton anywhere but asking for the names of their customers was totally uncalled for. Thats just too big brother.

That was predictable (see post #10).

It just amazes me that people can somehow reach the conclusion that Apple should simply allow people to steal all their intellectual property and create knockoffs that look like the real thing.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    Quote:

I believe it is time that I leave this country.

I just cant believe what I'm reading here.

How in gods name is Apple executing warrants, raids and investigations on its own.

And the courts are complying with it?

Isnt this the job of the LAW ENFORCEMENT people?

I find this highly disturbing.

The days have come when the corporations have taken over the powers of government in this country.

Well yes, please leave, we have a little too many gullible people in the country. :-)
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

How in gods name is Apple executing warrants, raids and investigations on its own.

As we say down here "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out".
  • Reply 32 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

So you've been where since 1885? This has been the case since the Industrial Revolution. You've not noticed it until now?

Also you obviously missed the part where Apple didn't make up their own warrants. The law did.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sternapples53 View Post

So if Apple were a small struggling company, then this would be OK? Or if they hadn't paid their bills and the landlord had gotten a warrant for eviction for these stores, that would have been OK? Since when does having money - regardless of how much - make you a bully and ruthless? And do you know categorically what Apple is going to do with the lists of purchasers? And can you say why was it uncalled for? What if (as speculated above) they did it so they can arrange a refund from the store owners to the buyers? Or if they were going to offer the real item instead of a knock-off? Would that suck in your concept of what should happen to those unsuspecting buyers?

So in your eyes letting your competition walk all over your property, steal your ideas, create cheap imitation knock-offs of your hard work and sell it for less so that you can't sell your own real goods for a reasonable price. I'm guessing you don't own or run a successful business of any kind.

Can you make any sense out of what you posted because I sure can't.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    I'm sure cute Apple employees didn't go into the store with guns telling the knock-off apple store that they need to give up their fake wares or bad things would happen.

Come on editor dude or dudette, Apple took the Fakers to court, the judge ordered the seizure, government officials executed.

But maybe I'm wrong, if so, please let me know.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

You are apparently endlessly paranoid and have absolutely no experience in running a business.

Lots of companies (along with property owners as well) execute warrants for seizure of illegal goods, eviction of people who are squatting on someone else's property or refuse to pay their rent.

Any company can ask for and receive an actionable warrant from a judge to have a premise raided if they can prove evidence of malfeasance - stolen or illegal goods, for example. If the judge finds there is substantial evidence - the warrant is issued and the police used to execute it.

Look around - this have been going on for decades, perhaps hundreds of years in business. It is a legitimate and accepted activity to protect commercial interests in property and products.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    jnoeljnoel Posts: 19member
    I know that this is an Apple news fan blog but there have been a couple times where I have seen this site referenced as a credible news source. Glaring errors in misunderstanding civil (and criminal if there was malicious intent to steal corp intellectual property) law an saying apple "ordered a raid" is simply an embarrassment and discredits this site accuracy on other information they report. I think a quick correction is in order on the part of AI.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    jnoeljnoel Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

You are apparently endlessly paranoid and have absolutely no experience in running a business.

Lots of companies (along with property owners as well) petition the courts for a warrant of seizure of illegal goods, eviction of people who are squatting on someone else's property or refuse to pay their rent.

Fixed that for ya
  • Reply 38 of 54
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnoel View Post

I know that this is an Apple news fan blog but there have been a couple times where I have seen this site referenced as a credible news source. Glaring errors in misunderstanding civil (and criminal if there was malicious intent to steal corp intellectual property) law an saying apple "ordered a raid" is simply an embarrassment and discredits this site accuracy on other information they report. I think a quick correction is in order on the part of AI.

Yeah, rather pathetic journalism... even for an informal tech site like AI.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Oh please don't even use journalism in the same sentence as the name of this site unless you are doing so to illustrate that none of this is journalism. Even calling it bad journalism is giving it too much credit.

AI is a nice little forum and psuedo blog that reposts and processes stuff of other blogs in a game of telephone that inevitably messes up the message a bit. Some of the writers are a bit better than others, but none of them are journalists.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    I'm glad apple is cracking down on counterfeit products, I am certain nobody want to spend their hard earned money on some counterfeit good. We also should expect a certain level of quality from an apple product, and most other manufacturers skipper out on.