AT&T will only offer unlimited & pay-per-use texting after Aug. 21

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

If you don't text criminal or particularly dirty messages you've got nothing to worry about regardless.

Except of course when Google gets hacked or a disgruntled employee steals this data and it's used to steal from you
  • Reply 62 of 84
    That's very disappointing and most likely others will follow suit. I don't think SMS puts that much strain on the cellular network so this move is pure greed. Kids text a lot so they are taking advantage.

I hope smaller carriers capitalize on this get bigger and eventually eat their lunch. Im tempted t take my business to metro PCS
  • Reply 63 of 84
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

You just proved my point. In the past it was inadmissible. Today that situation has changed even though the laws have not been clearly voted upon. Corporations like Google should not have the right to access this info. I can't believe you are not listening to yourself. Your only argument is... "well thats the way it is get used to it." Good job.

So, you don't care if your personal info is exposed to one and all, as long as it's "not admissible"? Are you really Anthony Wiener?

The point, which has clearly escaped you, is that if you think that these forms of communication are secure, you are up for the title of MR. NAIVE, 2011.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Get a google voice account and never pay for texting again.

You pay in other ways - with your soul.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Depending on what text plan one currently has that comes out to either $60 or $180 a year to your phone bill. For something that is nearly 100% pure profit for the telco's. I'm not willing to support that.

The good news is that this should help wean people off of texting an onto data based messaging services.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Whatever...the difference is $10. You can't even buy lunch in California for $10. People whining over a few bucks shouldn't even have an iPhone.

• Reply 66 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

So, you don't care if your personal info is exposed to one and all, as long as it's "not admissible"? Are you really Anthony Wiener?

The point, which has clearly escaped you, is that if you think that these forms of communication are secure, you are up for the title of MR. NAIVE, 2011.

I get it but please, are you seriously trying to claim that no form of communications should be considered secure because "nothing is inherently perfectly secure"? How exactly am I supposed to communicate with anyone besides sealing myself up in a hyperbolic chamber with the 2nd party if I cannot email, text, phone call? Would you consider postal mail "not secure" as well? At least I can understand who I am dealing with based on your response.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    not sure if this is appropriate but this is exactly what i think of this:

....................../´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\\.................'...../

..........''...\\.......... _.·´

............\\..............(

..............\\.............\\...

I use textfree for 99% of my texts. Is it possible to turn off text messaging with ATT entirely? This new plan is a ripoff.

In the the rest of the world, you don't get charged for incoming texts. I was paying per text for the phone company sending me texts once.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Whatever...the difference is $10. You can't even buy lunch in California for $10. People whining over a few bucks shouldn't even have an iPhone.

Sorry, no. It simply doesn't justify this anti-competitive money grab. It doesn't matter that I can afford it, I'd rather spend the money on something else.

As it is, for two years of use, your plan price goes up by about the subsidized price of the phone.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abarry View Post

Well said. This is just a trailer of what will the landscape be when AT&T and T-Mobile actually merge.

Regulators, please take note.

Several years ago, the price of a text without a plan was $0.10, when we had six major nationwide carriers. Now, the price is $0.20, soon to be three nationwide carriers.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Several years ago, the price of a text without a plan was $0.10, when we had six major nationwide carriers. Now, the price is $0.20, soon to be three nationwide carriers.

And before that, it was five cents each.

Curious (Pro tip: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT) how the price rises by the same amount on every carrier within a few weeks of each other, isn't it.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And before that, it was five cents each.

I guess that was before I bothered to get a phone.

With the 1000 text plan, $10 bought you up to 160kB of data.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

With the 1000 text plan, $10 bought you up to 160kB of data.

The ONLY thing about this turn of events that we as consumers can find soothing is this:

At least these aren't the data rates.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    Get TextFree Unlimited and turn off your text from ATT completely. If someone is too stupid to change your new text number over then the are too stupid to be your friend.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thundermustard View Post

Get TextFree Unlimited and turn off your text from ATT completely. If someone is too stupid to change your new text number over then the are too stupid to be your friend.

Or? don't waste time or money on some app when iMessage does it for free...
  • Reply 75 of 84
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or? don't waste time or money on some app when iMessage does it for free...

But only to other iOS devices. iMessage will be great, but it isn't an SMS replacement.

I would get a GoogleVoice number and app, that way you can text anyone in the US or Canada for free and use iMessage for anyone with iOS.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And let Google have a copy of every text you've ever sent or received?

But OTOH, if you lose your phone, you don't lose your history of texts
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

But OTOH, if you lose your phone, you don't lose your history of texts

With iPhone, you just restore from backup and you'll get your texts back, including every other setting you have. Nearly every time you sync, the backup is refreshed.
  • Reply 78 of 84
    rarerare Posts: 27member
    Quote:

"The vast majority of our messaging customers prefer unlimited plans and with text messaging growth stronger than ever, that number continues to climb among new customers."

I certainly didn't tell them that. When responding to the multiple surveys they have sent me over the past few years, in the section where they ask something like "what else can we do to better serve you", I always ask for rollover text messaging plans. I have the $5/month 200 message plan. Most months I send or receive 50-100 texts. On very rare occasions I have gone over by 5-10 messages, and of course they charge me for that, which seems incredibly petty. Rollover minutes are fantastic as I never have to worry about overage, and they are the only carrier to offer that. Why not increase customer satisfaction--and differentiate themselves from other carriers--by also offering rollover text messages?

And so what if the vast majority truly do prefer unlimited plans? Why take away customer choice?

I'd submit that the vast majority would prefer unlimited data plans with the option of tethering, but I don't see them offering that, exclusively or otherwise.

Quote:

"Existing customers don't have to change any messaging plan they have today, even when changing handsets."

The only reason for this is to avoid a lawsuit and/or revolt. Placate the existing customers.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rare View Post

And so what if the vast majority truly do prefer unlimited plans?

I wonder if this is really the case. Is anyone going to call them out on it, ask them to back it up with actual figures?
  • Reply 80 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

If you don't text criminal or particularly dirty messages you've got nothing to worry about regardless.

I guess there's no reason to want privacy for anything other than things that are criminal or particularly dirty....