HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale

Comments

• Reply 61 of 243
    What is going on at the HP site? I returned to it less than two hours after first looking for the new prices. They were there. The new page listed the Touchpads at $149 and $99. I scrolled down the page and clicked on the warranty page to learn if there was a limitation with this discontinued product. The warranty was a general one not specific to any one product. When I clicked back to the page with the Touchpads the prices were listed at $499 and $399!

Does HP think that since they've sold some at the lower prices or just generated interest, that people will decide that the higher price is now worth it?

When I was at the site at Midnight it listed both at the older prices but said that the 16 GB model was sold out. At 1:58 AM both are in stock at the higher price. Somebody there needs to stop smoking weed while on the job.
  • Reply 62 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Disapointed still full price in the UK. If it had dropped to £99 I would have got one, leets face it 90% of what your going to use a tablet for is the internet and the browers decent enough on all of them.

See my previous post regarding "a tablet"?. ahhhh, the voices of inexperience

If you can say of an iPad "let's face it? 90% of what you'll use it for is *xyz*" it means you haven't spent any significant time with one. It may be true with the TouchPad, since there won't be any new apps for it? but the iPad is a whole different ecosystem?

No-one I know uses theirs for 90% internet/browsing. It's way cooler than that.
  • Reply 63 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What is going on at the HP site? ? When I was at the site at Midnight it listed both at the older prices but said that the 16 GB model was sold out. At 1:58 AM both are in stock at the higher price.

And we wonder why they can't get the traction they want?? If their company is operated this way (disjointed and disorganized), it would be no surprise?

HP sure has had a bad run of luck with their CEO selections? Carly Fiorina nearly tanked the company, and it's been hit and miss ever since. They get some decent Administrators, but no solid innovators at the helm. The difference between Apple and everyone else??
  • Reply 64 of 243
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Even if there's no new apps for it, that's still a good price for a little thing just to browse the web and play music on.
  • Reply 65 of 243
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So many comments about using it on the can. HP could have made a killing by calling it the HP PoopPad from the start.
  • Reply 66 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

As a retailer, I wouldn't sell them. The price is good, but there will be no support. People will eventually be mad with the purchase. Many people probably will still want to return them. I'd send them back.

Good points.
  • Reply 67 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by microtaint View Post

in ca only or what? I called a few places around here (U.S.) and they had no idea what I was talking about. In fact I was even told by the Radio Shack monkey that "HP makes the best computers out there." I guess that's why they are essentially dropping their pc business and are giving the tablets away for free... who knew?

They are not dropping their PC business. They are spinning off the division into a separate entity.

Maybe it will be sold, maybe it will go public, maybe something else. Their goal is to increase margins, and the PC business is low margin, which, given the ginourmous volume, is lowering to margins for the company as a whole.

They are, however, dropping their WebOS hardware business.
  • Reply 68 of 243
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I'd buy one if it were for sale here in Japan.
  • Reply 69 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Actually, what if you had a GF...

Seriously, not bad as a PF. Could be cool. The multitasking is way better than iOS or Android. Would love to see it on the iPad!!!

"You don't always get what you want. You get what ya need!" Some one help me with the song title here so I don't get sued.

Actually, NASCAP will sue me anyway. NASCAP...

I saw her today at a reception

A glass of wine in her hand

I knew she would meet her connection

At her feet was her footloose man

No, you can't always get what you want

You can't always get what you want

And if you try sometime you find

You get what you need

I saw her today at the reception

A glass of wine in her hand

I knew she was gonna meet her connection

At her feet was her footloose man

But if you try sometimes you might find

You get what you need

Oh yeah, hey hey hey, oh...

And I went down to the demonstration

To get my fair share of abuse

Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration

If we don't we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse"

Sing it to me now...

But if you try sometimes well you just might find

You get what you need

Oh baby, yeah, yeah!

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore

To get your prescription filled

I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy

And man, did he look pretty ill

We decided that we would have a soda

My favorite flavor, cherry red

I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy

Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead"

I said to him

You can't always get what you want, no!

You can't always get what you want (tell ya baby)

You can't always get what you want (no)

But if you try sometimes you just might find

You get what you need

Oh yes! Woo!

You get what you need--yeah, oh baby!

Oh yeah!

I saw her today at the reception

In her glass was a bleeding man

She was practiced at the art of deception

Well I could tell by her blood-stained hands

You just might find

You get what you need

You can't always get what you want (no, no baby)

You just might find

You get what you need, ah yes...
  • Reply 70 of 243
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Disapointed still full price in the UK. If it had dropped to £99 I would have got one, leets face it 90% of what your going to use a tablet for is the internet and the browers decent enough on all of them.

I agree, for that price, the tablet is a great deal even just as a browser or ebook reader. The videos of it show it to be quite smooth and responsive:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/29/hp-touchpad-review/

I can understand HP dropping it as it fails to compete with the iPad - ultimately, you're never going to compete by playing catchup. However, it has some features that would rival the other tablets it competes with like the Blackberry Playbook.

Seems a bit premature to kill it off.
  • Reply 71 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I have the offical PacMan from Namco on my iPad2 now and it's pretty good, it's like the original, but playing with the touch controls is not the same as using a controller, since the original uses a joystick.

Too bad Apple put so few input choices on the iPad. Seemingly, they have not licensed anybody to make joysticks for the proprietary 30-pin connector. If they included a standard mini-USB, you would have your choice of competitively priced joysticks.

Proprietary connectors are maybe good for the manufacturers but certainly are bad for consumers. Sony used to pull crap like that all the time, like only including their proprietary Memory Stick instead of any standard options. I used to prefer Sony products, but as of now, I refuse to buy anything from them.
  • Reply 72 of 243
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Typical, reduction only applies to the USA, for some reason HP either expects the rest of the world to pay full price or the idea of making sure the USA is always cheaper than the UK etc is just too engrained in their minds.
  • Reply 73 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Too bad Apple put so few input choices on the iPad. Seemingly, they have not licensed anybody to make joysticks for the proprietary 30-pin connector. If they included a standard mini-USB, you would have your choice of competitively priced joysticks.

Proprietary connectors are maybe good for the manufacturers but certainly are bad for consumers. Sony used to pull crap like that all the time, like only including their proprietary Memory Stick instead of any standard options. I used to prefer Sony products, but as of now, I refuse to buy anything from them.

What about a bluetooth connection for joysticks?

I think wires in general need to die!

Some dude the other day was making a big deal about his HDMI port on his nerdroid phone.

He had to eat crow when I mentioned AirPlay. I don't personally know anyone who actually uses those HDMI ports or SD cards for that matter.
  • Reply 74 of 243
    sometimes it shows the new prices and sometimes the old ones. I'm guessing all their servers are not in synch and it depends on what the load balancer points too!

now it's out of stock on both models
  • Reply 75 of 243
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I don't think it will use your iPhoto library, as you suppose... Maybe your pictures, but it's not integrated with a MAC. At least I couldn't get a MAC API to run on it. Let me know what you're doing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

sometimes it shows the new prices and sometimes the old ones. I'm guessing all their servers are not in synch and it depends on what the load balancer points too!

now it's out of stock on both models

Everyone's out of stock online on both models. I'll try running by the Best Buy store today to see if they have any in the store (their system won't let you check store availability on Touchpads, either).
  • Reply 76 of 243
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    It does today. Tomorrow when Netflix updates its system and doesn't support the tablet it might not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Netflix works on the Touchpad?

• Reply 77 of 243
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean overdesign.

The best design is as little design as possible.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. Bad websites are typically under-designed -- as in, just throw everything you can think of on there on every page without any real thought about how it affects the usability. Good web sites, like any good UI, are made by making choices at every step, including what to leave out.
  • Reply 78 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It does today. Tomorrow when Netflix updates its system and doesn't support the tablet it might not.

It won't be tomorrow.... Probably next week.

Waste of money even if at $100.

It would be pathetic if they can't even sell out at $100! My guess is that many are buying them to put them on eBay for the diehards
  • Reply 79 of 243
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

It won't be tomorrow.... Probably next week.

Waste of money even if at $100.

And that's why everyone is sold out......

$100 isn't bad for a web browser and movie player. I'll be getting one for my daughter's birthday if I can find one.
  • Reply 80 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

why on earth does the ad say "limit 1 per household"? What do they care if someone with deep pockets decides to buy 20 of them?? That smells like a "mindshare marketing opportunity" to me also...

HP does not want someone buying 2 or 10,000 and reselling, even at a slightly higher price.

It would merely interfere and compete with unloading the rest of the inventory as fast as possible. Time is money for HP.

Note:

Palm cost HP $1.2 billion. At only a $0.1 billion write-off for the hardware, HP must have figured the tablet had better than a 1 in 12 chance of succeeding, as they went on to produce it and threw good money after bad, after they realized they goofed.