RIM's BlackBerry music service to cost $5 a month for 50 songs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you only need 4 songs per month, you buy them on iTunes instead of messing with a streaming service.

From the sounds of it this is not a streaming service. It is downloads but so tightly drm'd that they only work on a Playbook. And possibly needing to call out every month to make sure you are still paying otherwise they stop working.

If the service allows you to download 50 new tracks a month and keep previous stuff on your device, at the price they want, that isn't that horrible.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ouch! I always thought you were quite supportive of RIM? Seriously don't you think a few of those Android based manufacturers not now owned by Google might be first to bid for it?

Hmm? not sure what you mean by supportive. I'm not for or against any company per say but there are certainly some I think have a much stronger outlook than others, even to the point of investing in them.

I don't think, nor have ever thought RiM's multiple attempts at a touch-based OS were going to be winners. I do think they have a solid base that would love to support them again if they can modernize their business. I think WebOS would be a great start; HP certainly doesn't seem to want it.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Reinventing the wheel, when other things are out there that does a better job for less. Putting resources behind something thats destined to fail (or at least not be a positive), when they need to be putting resources behind QNX, and replacing that LOUSY camera in their new 9900 series!
  • Reply 24 of 75
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

RiM needs a decant mobile OS that doesn't rely on Flash. Maybe they can buy WebOS from HP.

Since when does Rim's OS rely on flash?
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Since when does Rim's OS rely on flash?

You really think they use Adobe AIR but have removed Adobe Flash from the UI? Good luck supporting that argument.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I used to think Ballmer was one the the most clueless CEOs on the planet, but Balsillie and Lazaridis make Ballmer look like Jobs by comparison

Why do you say that? Ballmer is all class.

http://youtu.be/tGvHNNOLnCk

• Reply 27 of 75
    Funny. Much like how a good number of peeps on here are "isheep", the crack berry fans are all gun ho about this. iTunes killer is what I hear. Silly people.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

From the sounds of it this is not a streaming service. It is downloads but so tightly drm'd that they only work on a Playbook. And possibly needing to call out every month to make sure you are still paying otherwise they stop working.

If the service allows you to download 50 new tracks a month and keep previous stuff on your device, at the price they want, that isn't that horrible.

You're right - it doesn't appear to be a streaming service. It's a "pay us $5 and you can download up to 50 tracks and use them for a month". You don't get to keep them indefinitely.

Which amounts to almost the same thing.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Subscribers won't be able to export the music to PCs, but they will be able to transfer to the PlayBook tablet.

I'll never buy DRMed anything. It is defective by design. These corporations accomplish electronically that which is prohibited by the First Sale Doctrine of US Copyright law.

Fuggedaboutit! Boycott these corporations and their DRM crapola.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Subscribers won't be able to export the music to PCs

Won't be "allowed" to export to computers. Pretty sure people will be doing it within a week of the service going online, though.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Must not be a good feeling to be a RIM marketer. Every new product you introduce these days is greeted with hoots of derision.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    $5 for 50 songs for a month. If you want the same 50 songs the next month, another $5 please.

If you go for a whole year with a soundtrack of just 50 songs, which is NOTHING (I listen to 50 songs a DAY, at least), that's $60. I'd rather buy 6 CDs and listen to those songs for the rest of my life for free.

LOL. What a rip.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Actually the RIM platform is pretty worthless at this point, especially considering HP is pulling the plug on their infinitely superior WebOS. This was obvious the moment we heard that RIM's OS would need to be fundamentally re-architected in order to provide their tablets with independent email capabilities.

But the limitations of RIM's platform pale in comparison with the cluelessness of their "co-CEOs".

Sorry you misunderstood me, I meant the webOS might be bid on, not RIM's, by current Android makers ticked off at Google buying Motomobile.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

So did anyone understand how this service works? Does it mean that once I have listened to 50 songs in a month, I cannot listen to any more?

Yep. The entire contents of the Blackberry get deleted, your account canceled, and the device gets bricked remotely. Then they report the credit card used to purchase those 50 songs as stolen and send the police to the address of record.

Other than that, it's a pretty cool service.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Dear RIM - Is that all you've got? Your best shot?

Pretty crappy if you ask me. If the best you can do is crappy, then better to do nothing.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm? not sure what you mean by supportive. I'm not for or against any company per say but there are certainly some I think have a much stronger outlook than others, even to the point of investing in them.

I don't think, nor have ever thought RiM's multiple attempts at a touch-based OS were going to be winners. I do think they have a solid base that would love to support them again if they can modernize their business. I think WebOS would be a great start; HP certainly doesn't seem to want it.

Ok sorry, I read you defend them several times but that fits with what you say about not being against or for plus it was more likely the BB not the touch stuff.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I can't see any angle where this is good.. Unless I get to keep all 50 songs and add 50 more next month..
  • Reply 38 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Yikes. These people really are lost. Consumers aren't looking for X number of songs per month. That sort of plan will be DOA because it reflects a lack of understanding regarding how people listen to music and how they use their devices.

I don't even think I've bought 50 songs from iTunes in 3 years of owning an iPhone.

It's very rare for me to hear something I like enough on the radio, that I'll bother using Shazam to find and buy it.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

So funny...... So, let's take bets on who buys RIM because this company is going down. Just like skydiving, RIM feels like they are flying. In reality, they are plummeting to the earth at a 120 mph.

And remember, it's not the fall that kills you... It's that bone liquefying stop that follows.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

So funny...... So, let's take bets on who buys RIM because this company is going down. Just like skydiving, RIM feels like they are flying. In reality, they are plummeting to the earth at a 120 mph.

I'd say they are a long way off from being bought unless it's a hostile takeover. They a lot more likely to invest a lot more in other companies in an attempt to save themselves. For Q1-2012 RiM was still $700 million. Not an increase and it's steadily dropping but they have yet to have a report negative earning for a quarter. That has to count for something when you compare them to the other smartphone vendors.