RIM's BlackBerry music service to cost $5 a month for 50 songs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    Sounds like they're using the "Blockbuster video rental" school of economics- "Charge 'em $5 more, and we will make a killing!!!"
  • Reply 42 of 75
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Good luck with that. They'd be better off rebuilding their OS from the ground-up. Not to mention their phones too. Their phones are underpowered and overpriced. Soon they will be in the toilet. All that will be left will be their patent portfolio.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Pandora is free. Radio Paradise is free. I ain't payin !
  • Reply 44 of 75
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

RiM needs a decant mobile OS that doesn't rely on Flash. Maybe they can buy WebOS from HP.

Perhaps it's best to just leave WebOS by the roadside. The poor thing's already been through enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

It failed at Palm. Then it failed at HP. And consumers didn't give a damn on either occasion.

It's good for one thing: ripping a few ideas from it, but with plenty of caution, because who knows which aspect of WebOS killed it. It's probably contagious.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:

You really think they use Adobe AIR but have removed Adobe Flash from the UI? Good luck supporting that argument.

Sorry, you need to do some research. BB OS is based on Java, not flash. BB OS doesn't even support flash. Their new QNX system is supposed to (on their tablet) but from what I understand, is pretty inept at it.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Sorry, you need to do some research. BB OS is based on Java, not flash. BB OS doesn't even support flash. Their new QNX system is supposed to (on their tablet) but from what I understand, is pretty inept at it.

You're now going to argue that you had no idea I was referring to their PlayBook OS in my post? Shameful!
  • Reply 47 of 75
    gromitgromit Posts: 37member
    It sounds like a strange service, it does not appeal to me.

On the wider topic or RIM's survivability, it does not look good. They are stuck with a dying system, but are too slow with QNX. Playbook is highly flawed and not selling. The phones look 5 years out of date, and the cash cow, Enterprise, is deserting them. I cannot see what any other business would want to acquire from RIM if it does go Belly up. They may have some patents, but patents are being bought as defence weapons at the moment. There will quickly become a time when the big 3, Apple, Google and Microsoft think they have enough patents to put off would be attackers. If RIMs death is in slow motion, they could find that even the patents are worth very little.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    not a week passed since the last bad news for RIM...

makes me wonder whats their CEO and their strategist doing. the mobile world is not static, a company like RIM cannot rely on one thing to survive.. i still remember the fall of PALM back then, kinda like RIM, lack of innovation and lack of strategic direction bring it down slowly but sure.. RIM's tablet entrance showed a lack of long term strategy and feels like a 'me too' thats prevalent in companies competing in tablet world (Android tablets manufacturers also lack strategy, they just produce hardware without thinking long term)

now , assuming you can offer some strategic (1 year , 2 year and 5 year strategy) for RIM, what would you say to RIM Management ? whats the path that you think RIM Should Focus on ?

im really curious , can RIM be saved from the steady downfall ?

regards
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I used to think Ballmer was one the the most clueless CEOs on the planet, but Balsillie and Lazaridis make Ballmer look like Jobs by comparison

Their popular names are Ballsy and Lazy....

...Or is that Silly and Arid...

...oh, we're all so confused
  • Reply 50 of 75
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

Xoom is highly flawed and not selling.

Please don't tell me that you just labeled The Xoom a RIM product....I beg you.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

So funny...... So, let's take bets on who buys RIM because this company is going down. Just like skydiving, RIM feels like they are flying. In reality, they are plummeting to the earth at a 120 mph.

In this case, the skydiver was already dead the moment they were dropped out the plane. RIM is so f***** DOA it's just depressing now. 50 songs? That won't even last many of us a week... Let alone the fact that there's so many podcasts, YouTube, streaming radio from around the world and tons of other music services. This is RIM's big plan post-PlayFail?
  • Reply 52 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Perhaps it's best to just leave WebOS by the roadside. The poor thing's already been through enough.

It failed at Palm. Then it failed at HP. And consumers didn't give a damn on either occasion.

It's good for one thing: ripping a few ideas from it, but with plenty of caution, because who knows which aspect of WebOS killed it. It's probably contagious.

Thank you. Everyone, please let the WebOS "ecosystem" die with some dignity. Please stop dragging it's decaying corpse through the streets. I called WebOS the poisoned chalice. I think the proverbial dead horse is more apt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dprijadi View Post

not a week passed since the last bad news for RIM...

makes me wonder whats their CEO and their strategist doing. the mobile world is not static, a company like RIM cannot rely on one thing to survive.. i still remember the fall of PALM back then, kinda like RIM, lack of innovation and lack of strategic direction bring it down slowly but sure.. RIM's tablet entrance showed a lack of long term strategy and feels like a 'me too' thats prevalent in companies competing in tablet world (Android tablets manufacturers also lack strategy, they just produce hardware without thinking long term)

now , assuming you can offer some strategic (1 year , 2 year and 5 year strategy) for RIM, what would you say to RIM Management ? whats the path that you think RIM Should Focus on ?

im really curious , can RIM be saved from the steady downfall ?

regards

RIM is finished. Whatever revenue and profits they are getting now is from BB sold cheaper and cheaper while continuing to grow in Asia since it is a cheap, reliable messaging system. Also, corporations continue to rely on it as the default "work" phone though most employees already have iPhones and Androids and iPads.

But this is all only existing momentum, they're running on fumes. They have no strategy for the future that can even be communicated sensibly to the public. They have some water but are lost in the desert. It's only a matter of time. I'm probably going overboard with all the analogies and metaphors but if they were a US company they'd already be ripped to shreds like starving cannibals on the weaker members of the tribe.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In this case, the skydiver was already dead the moment they were dropped out the plane. RIM is so f***** DOA it's just depressing now.

That means Palm's WebOS is Bernie Lomax.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Low income English teenagers love BBs I hear so no doubt this will be a huge success.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I keep wondering if HP discovered something in there they knew was indefensible patent wise.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I keep wondering if HP discovered something in there they knew was indefensible patent wise.

Considering the number of former Apple employees apparently working on it at Palm and the lawsuits from Apple et al. over modern mobile OS code I think that is a scenario that could easily be defended.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:

That means Palm's WebOS is Bernie Lomax.

Bingo. Except it's long past the weekend and he's really starting to smell now.

This week in tech could be summed up as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2TbqNcvLVU
  • Reply 58 of 75
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

So did anyone understand how this service works? Does it mean that once I have listened to 50 songs in a month, I cannot listen to any more? Or does it mean that I have to continue recycling between those 50, and wait till the next month to find another set of 50?

If its either of those, its a ridiculously terrible deal (50songs * 4min/song = 200 mins, = <4 hrs of music?)

I hope its something else...

It is something else, but in typical Apple Insider fashion, they reported it wrong, so that it makes the competition looks bad. I am not sure it is going to work, but it is a different idea.

Here is the way it goes

you get 50 songs. Each of your friends on BBM get 50 songs. So, if you have 20 friends on BBM, you have access to all of their music (1000 songs) and they have access to your 50 songs. Every month, everyone gets a new set of 50 songs.

Given that BBM is widely used amongst teenagers, this could be fairly popular among the younger set for social music sharing and discovery.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

It is something else, but in typical Apple Insider fashion, they reported it wrong, so that it makes the competition looks bad. I am not sure it is going to work, but it is a different idea.

Here is the way it goes

you get 50 songs. Each of your friends on BBM get 50 songs. So, if you have 20 friends on BBM, you have access to all of their music (1000 songs) and they have access to your 50 songs. Every month, everyone gets a new set of 50 songs.

Given that BBM is widely used amongst teenagers, this could be fairly popular among the younger set for social music sharing and discovery.

Except this will be limited to the US and Canada only right? Other countries to come "later".
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:

New details on Research in Motion's rumored BlackBerry Messenger music service have emerged.

It's not to late to stop. Please don't do it.