RIM's BlackBerry music service to cost $5 a month for 50 songs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    The stupidity of this is absolutely unreal.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

It's not to late to stop. Please don't do it.

I doubt that RIM representatives read comments posted to the AppleInsider forums.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I doubt that RIM representatives read comments posted to the AppleInsider forums.

Of course they do. Where else would they get their information about rumors about products they'd try to steal from?
  • Reply 64 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course they do. Where else would they get their information about rumors about products they'd try to steal from?

YouTube comment threads.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:

YouTube comment threads.

I think if I went to YouTube to look at "[REAL] IPHONE 5 NOT A JOKE!" and other various unreleased Apple product movies, it would be for a laugh originally, but it would only ever turn into complete rage.

Seriously, we're talking white hot anger; the most vitriolic writing you've ever seen.

Think the meanest I'd ever been on MacRumors times sixteen because there aren't rules against exposing peoples' idiocy on YouTube.

A good release, though. Might be a stress reliever.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A good release, though. Might be a stress reliever.

I go to YouTube for all my political commentary needs. You won't find more unbiased, well-informed discussions anywhere else on the Internet!
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Their popular names are Ballsy and Lazy....

I think you had an extra 'y' in there (and, just for the record, you did not misspell 'lazy).
  • Reply 68 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

It is something else, but in typical Apple Insider fashion, they reported it wrong, so that it makes the competition looks bad. I am not sure it is going to work, but it is a different idea.

Here is the way it goes

you get 50 songs. Each of your friends on BBM get 50 songs. So, if you have 20 friends on BBM, you have access to all of their music (1000 songs) and they have access to your 50 songs. Every month, everyone gets a new set of 50 songs.

Given that BBM is widely used amongst teenagers, this could be fairly popular among the younger set for social music sharing and discovery.

See Post #55 above.

The competition does not 'look bad.' It is bad.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

It's not to late to stop. Please don't do it.

Many firms in many industries would be utterly thankful for this kind of advice. They would kill for it.

But consumer tech - outside of Apple - is its own sad, strange beast.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're now going to argue that you had no idea I was referring to their PlayBook OS in my post? Shameful!

Didn't then, do now. Clarification is understood.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Their popular names are Ballsy and Lazy....

...Or is that Silly and Arid...

...oh, we're all so confused

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you had an extra 'y' in there (and, just for the record, you did not misspell 'lazy).

... the two former co-CEOs job share the role and are referred to simply as Lazy Balls.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I go to YouTube for all my political commentary needs. You won't find more unbiased, well-informed discussions anywhere else on the Internet!

I go to YouTube for my daily dose of the word "gay"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skeedadell View Post

... the two former co-CEOs job share the role and are referred to simply as Lazy Balls.

• Reply 73 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

RIM is aiming to use the subscription music service will rekindle interest in its BlackBerry Messenger functionality, which has been one of the standout features for the platform.

When I have talked to a lot of die-hard BlackBerry users, some of whom carry an iPhone and a BlackBerry, it is this messaging function that they really like (and/or are required to have for work). I think when Apple's iCloud iMessage service comes out -- for free -- it will be the final nail in the coffin for RIM. Who wouldn't want to condense down to just one device. I also think that the music service is DOA -- bad idea -- that's something they should have done years ago. And what do you mean I can't transfer the songs to my PC/Mac?
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Umm... you can get an unlimited RDIO mobile subscription for $9.99 a month. RDIO is an established, proven platform AND they have a blackberry app! WHY would anyone pay RIM for this? 50 songs for $5? Or pay $4.99 more and get unlimited access to as much music as you can stream. You can even sync as much music as your mobile device can store for offline listening.

This is just another example of how unaware RIM is of the mobile ecosystem surrounding them. They keep trying to build and innovate things in their own little bubble. I think it is a big insult to their userbase, because it sounds like RIM doesn't think their customers are smart enough to figure this stuff out on their own.
  • Reply 75 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Midnight Wolf View Post

I think when Apple's iCloud iMessage service comes out -- for free -- it will be the final nail in the coffin for RIM.

yes, sealed shut with Nine Inch Nails