Intel also hearing rumors Apple testing MacBooks based on own A-series chip

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by microtaint View Post

if apples decides to go away from the Intel chip set then it is time to dump the stock. It is of no surprise that soon after their adoption of Intel chip sets that their stock blew up. Because everyone can now run windows on their laptops no wonder.. duh. apple would just be shooting themselves in the foot. If Apple drops Intel , then you really should drop the stock.

Nonsense.
  • Reply 22 of 130
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

hey Doom & Goomers, remember MS has already stated Windows 8 will support ARM.

Yep
  • Reply 23 of 130
    sda3sda3 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

You know Windows 8 will have an ARM version. I know a lot of apps won't run at least to start off with but clearly if it takes off in the Windows world Apple must be ready as well. ARM chips might not be as fast but they are probably fast enough for browsing, writing documents, email, etc. They'll have the advantage of better battery life. So Apple cannot afford for MS laptops to have that kind of advantage over them.

Also mean bootcamp can still hang around.

What good is win 8 on an arm chip when NONE of the software will be compatible? You have the windows OS, but without all new software releases you won't be able to run anything anyway.
  • Reply 24 of 130
    bobrbobr Posts: 2member
    Isn't Windows 8 supposedly being designed to run on ARM processors? If so maybe bootcamp and virtualization software could endure.
  • Reply 25 of 130
    sda3sda3 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobr View Post

Isn't Windows 8 supposedly being designed to run on ARM processors? If so maybe bootcamp and virtualization software could endure.

Yes, but it was in the news recently that none of the software developed for win x86 would be compatible with the ARM version of windows 8.
  • Reply 26 of 130
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Hey, Doom & Gloomers, remember MS has already stated Windows 8 will support ARM.

I have no problem with Apple releasing OSX for ARM =)

The difference is that MS doesn't make computers. With Windows 8 an end user could still choose between an x86 laptop and an ARM laptop.

I don't see this happening with Apple. Even if you could run Windows 8 with future bootcamp, there will be software that's prob. never ported.
  • Reply 27 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sda3 View Post

What good is win 8 on an arm chip when NONE of the software will be compatible? You have the windows OS, but without all new software releases you won't be able to run anything anyway.

Transitions take awhile. Remember it will also support x86_32 and x86_64 which has plenty of apps -AND- MS will offer an app store for Win8. You can't make a cartel without breaking a few heads? or something like that.
  • Reply 28 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sda3 View Post

Assuming a program doesn't have any assembly code, most programs should able to compile for any instruction set without a lot of work. Microsoft Office has already shown to be running on ARM and that's the world's premier productivity suite.

The issue isn't how hard is it to compile for ARM but will businesses bother updating. I'm sure they'll see the future when they realize that low power, high performance computing is the future.
  • Reply 29 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Copse View Post

The difference is that MS doesn't make computers. With Windows 8 an end user could still choose between an x86 laptop and an ARM laptop.

I don't see this happening with Apple.

I do. Of any company, Apple is best suited to create Mac App Store apps that are compiled for x86 and ARM the way there apps were compiled for PPC and x86, along with 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Do you really think the 27" iMac will move to ARM in the foreseeable future? I certainly don't.
  • Reply 30 of 130
    Quote:

I don't see this happening with Apple. Even if you could run Windows 8 with future bootcamp, there will be software that's prob. never ported.

There's still software that never made the PowerPC to Intel jump. The big boys will move over because it's a reason to buy a new version, and smaller guys will jump in with no legacy code base and have an easier time building for both.

One thing is probably easy to guess, any app on the app store for Windows 8 will likely have to support both x86 and ARM. That's a good way to get Windows 8 ARM apps.
  • Reply 31 of 130
    Quote:

Don't do it Apple!

I really dont see the benefit for the end user.

No more BootCamp, all software has to be re-coded to ARM arch. With Intel Core iX Sandy Bridge you have really nice speed and still OK batterytime.

Did Apple forget the response they got when they moved from PPC to Intel x86?

Yeah like the huge response of everyone buying apple computers because they contained some quality hardware (I.E. iNTEL) Yeah so, take intel out of the equation, and boom there goes the company, and the stock price. It's not rubbish, its the way it is. Watch and see.
  • Reply 32 of 130
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starwarrior View Post

"I probably only spend about 10% of my time using windows"

You should try of 0% as it is so nice to not have to look back.

Sometimes the choice isn't up to you.
  • Reply 33 of 130
    bobrbobr Posts: 2member
    I'll try this again! Isn't Windows 8 supposedly being ported for ARM processors? If so perhaps bootcamp will accomodate an A5/6 processor.
  • Reply 34 of 130
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    Quote:

I do. Of any company, Apple is best suited to create Mac App Store apps that are compiled for x86 and ARM the way there apps were compiled for PPC and x86, along with 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Do you really think the 27" iMac will move to ARM in the foreseeable future? I certainly don't.

Yeah as someone mentioned earlier, the MBA would prob. be the best candidate.

While I agree with you to some point, I do think it's a big difference with the OSX apps/appstore and the handheld iOS apps/appstore.

However, if you have an end user with an ARM MBA that acts just like any other Mac, and another an Intel MBP, I do think that can be confusing when obtaining/buying software not on Mac App Store. To complex for the end user for Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 130
    Why is everyone freaking out? Apple is not going to replace their entire lineup.
  • Reply 36 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... it would be remiss of us to be dismissive ... We endeavor to innovate ...

Does this guy really talk like that? What sort of affectation causes this manner of speech?
  • Reply 37 of 130
    Quote:

I don't see any Mac's using ARM CPUs at all until they become far more powerful. Isn't there a report floating around that the A5 iPad2 performs as well as a PowerBook G4? Last Time I checked, even the 1.3GHz Core2Duo CULV in my Toshiba Satellite T130 performs better than a G4 CPU.

Maybe it will be like the GPU in the MacBook Pros - ARM CPUs for the lower power tasks - x86 kicks in when power is needed.
  • Reply 38 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Its true windows 8 will run on Arm chips, maybe this is coming full circle once windows 8 is widely adopted, shift Apple computers to run Arm-series chips.

Microsoft has no history of developing an operating system on something other than Intel. Even NT was given to them by DEC on the Alpha platform and MS got Intel to recode NT for x86 then let the Alpha version die.

So, who's writing Windows 8 for Microsoft then? Someone else wrote DOS, someone else wrote NT...
  • Reply 39 of 130
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member
    An "iBook", an iPad with a keyboard in a MacBook Air form factor (running iOS), could find a niche between the iPad and the Air for light use with phenomenal battery longevity, think journalists and casual web and email only users.

Calling it a Mac would seriously dilute the Mac image, certainly now that the MacBook Airs have been brought up to speed, performance-wise.

And with the steps taken to make Lion ever more user-friendly for non-power users, I doubt the market for such an under-powered device would be very large.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 40 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

No more BootCamp ?

Windows 8 is going to run on ARM processors...