Apple's Lion drives 26% rise in Mac sales during July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I'm dead impressed with Lion, the UI is slick as hell.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Lion actually kept me from buying a new computer, and unless it changes a lot, I won't be buying a new one this fall. I don't like Lion - my productivity would go way down, as would my enjoyment of using a Mac.

Lacking just about all details. Why did you reach that conclusion with Lion? After using Lion, I won't go back to Snow Leopard. There's still some tweaking issues that need to be resolved (WiFi) but all-in-all, it was a great first-release of a new OS. The multi-touch gestures makes it a gem to use!

Besides, there are options to tweak Lion to mimic just about every behavior that SL had.

So what's your concern with it?
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Actually, it's because everyone was trying to snap up Snow Leopard machines before they were forced to use the horrible Lion. Disastrous Address Book and iCal, anyone? Thank God for BusyCal, but there are no viable Address Book alternatives.

It's comments like these from posters who supply zero-details that lead me to believe it's another fine example of iHating trolls.

What's so "horrible" about it? I've been using it since day one. Sure, it's not as solid as SL was at the end of its life, but it is very, very close. I certainly will not go back to SL. It's a great system, runs smooth, multi-touch heaven, and simply a well-thought-out first-release.

So iCal & Address Book changed? So what? It took me all of two minutes to get used to it. I suppose if they didn't change it, folks like you would crucify Apple for keeping an "old & tired" interface?
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Agreed, and a better story for Apple: Lion is a compelling reason to buy primarily for existing Mac users, but the MBA is a compelling reason to switch.

if you used Filevault then go to Lion soon. You won't regret that (Filevault2) since filevault 1 blows huge chunks. But other than that there really is no compelling reason to dump snow leopard.

am not loving the 'greyness' of the menu in lion Finder.

i find lion interface to be very ubuntu 'unity' with regards to 'launchpad'. not that they copied, both are heading in a touch-tablet-heavy direction so lots of potential 'touch point icons'.

only problem is ubuntu has no supported tablet to run on duh'oh!
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's comments like these from posters who supply zero-details that lead me to believe it's another fine example of iHating trolls.

What's so "horrible" about it? I've been using it since day one. Sure, it's not as solid as SL was at the end of its life, but it is very, very close. I certainly will not go back to SL. It's a great system, runs smooth, multi-touch heaven, and simply a well-thought-out first-release.

So iCal & Address Book changed? So what? It took me all of two minutes to get used to it. I suppose if they didn't change it, folks like you would crucify Apple for keeping an "old & tired" interface?

i had same issue with ical, address book that i had with snow leopard. wouldn't sync. delete account, try again then it worked.

The cleanup of Mail interface is nice. 'Full Screen Apps' will be cool when everyone takes advantage (although it is a bit slow on 2nd gen MBA)

MS office 2011 is still a big piece of junk (not that that has anything to do with Apple, just wanted to get in my dislike of the product)
  • Reply 26 of 58
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We believe Mac sales benefited from the 7/20 launch of OS X Lion along with refreshed MacBook Airs and Mac minis,"

As others have stated, I'd attribute any post 7/20 bump in sales more to the new hardware than the new OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I can honestly say that the new UI for iCal and address book aren't as much as a problem as people seem to making it out to believe. I actually like the iCal UI, it's nice to see something different. I never really use Address Book on OS X, so I can't comment on that.

iCal may look pretty, but it's functionality as a calendar program is pretty abysmal. This has been true of every version of iCal. My only conclusion is that nobody at Apple actually uses iCal as a business tool. It's really not much more than a good reminders program, which, granted, is probably all that most users need. But of all of Apple's include apps and iapps (Mail, iPhoto, etc), it's the wrost.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

cum on...there is nothing particularly wrong with lion. The whole hate against it is just because apple is popular now so trolls can finally get thumbs up for hating on apple products. If you don't like the new features, don't use them. Improved performance on newer macs and security beyond that of windows makes a 30 dollar OS more than an upgrade...

As a long-time Mac user, since the mid-80s, and not a troll, there is plenty to not like about Lion. Those issues don't affect most users, but for those who are affected, the impact is significant. If you go to some of the less biased sites (AI is to Apple as Fox News is to Republicans...although lately DEDs writing has become much more balanced), I've never seen such a strong negative reaction to an OS X release.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Lion is the best computer OS I have ever used. It is fast, Stable and has a great user interface.... I can see how it is driving MAC sales....

It's Mac, not MAC. I really don't see how Lion is driving Media Access Control ports. Or driving sales of Macs, for that matter. At $30 for the OS, there's not much financial incentive to wait to upgrade your hardware just to get the new OS. When OS upgrades were $130, that was equivalent of getting a 10% discount on the hardware to wait for the new OS before upgrading your Mac.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i had same issue with ical, address book that i had with snow leopard. wouldn't sync. delete account, try again then it worked.

The cleanup of Mail interface is nice. 'Full Screen Apps' will be cool when everyone takes advantage (although it is a bit slow on 2nd gen MBA)

MS office 2011 is still a big piece of junk (not that that has anything to do with Apple, just wanted to get in my dislike of the product)

I had a couple of "interesting" behaviors with address book sync. Scratched my head a few times with why it was behaving that way. Did it in the beginning, but resolved itself. I think I just re-edited the entry in question and did a manual sync and problem was resolved. Didn't have a problem since then. All in all, a five-minute hiccup that for all I know, may not even (for me at least) have been a Lion issue but perhaps a cloud-syncing issue at that particular time and I was a victim of bad-timing. Dunno.. I didn't dwell on it after it was resolved.

But when folks slam Lion without giving any details whatsoever, well then I just question the sincerity of that poster.

Lion is not perfect, but then again neither is SL. On the other hand, I think every OS out there be it Windows, Linux, OSX, Amiga, <insert any other OS> all are not perfect.

If he's going to preach the uselessness of a product, be prepared to be called on it. Otherwise, accept that he's probably some shill trolling around as he has nothing better to do.

I haven't used Office2011 on the Mac yet. I'd consider it and would appreciate feedback since I have many clients that are considering the move to Macs and using Office would seal the deal. I've heard issues with it, but I'm still trying to get a feel if its more a user-adapting issue or something downright wrong with the product. I'm playing the wait-and-see approach since I still can.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

What I'm wondering about is; how many trackpads Apple sold along with those new Lion copies. I for one bought Lion for my iMac (2007) and realized that I needed a Magic Trackpad if I wanted to enjoy Lion to its fullest. And boy, was I right. I can't imagine operating Lion without one.

Same experience here. Getting Lion and the trackpad extended the usefulness of my mid 2007 iMac.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

HP shareholders must be weeping into their losses.

How come Apple can be profitable with PC's? Just goes to show that the race to the bottom caused by determination to drop prices is not the key to longterm success.

Sure isn't. For you MBA types out there (no i don't mean MacBook Air) Michael Porter has been preaching that for over 20 years.But having an original innovative idea is much much harder than competing for the bottom.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Same experience here. Getting Lion and the trackpad extended the usefulness of my mid 2007 iMac.

Bought a magic trackpad for my MBA (to compliment Cinema display and external keyboard). Gave up using my brand new Magic Mouse.

Will be buying one for my iMac now too. I wanted to use Lion on my MBA before I upgraded my main iMac workhorse. The multi-touch alone is such a pleasure to use.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 32 of 58
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Because of Lion? Um, what are you basing this on, exactly, AI? I delayed my purchase of an MBA until July because I was waiting for the refresh that was on hold because of Lion, but I sure as heck wasn't waiting FOR Lion. I honestly could care less about Lion and don't use any of the goofy new iOS wannabe features anyway. I've heard this sentiment from many, many recent purchasers of Apple products, so it seems more like Apple's MBA drove Lion sales during July.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

HP shareholders must be weeping into their losses.

How come Apple can be profitable with PC's? Just goes to show that the race to the bottom caused by determination to drop prices is not the key to longterm success.

: Licensing kills innovation urge.

: Yeah, the necessity of innovating to survive IS what sets Apple apart.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

I remember when iPod sales were all analysts talked about. Now the decline of iPod sales means nothing.

It isn't that declining iPod sales mean nothing. It's more that iPod sales have been replaced by iPhone sales. My iPhone *IS* my iPod.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

What I'm wondering about is; how many trackpads Apple sold along with those new Lion copies.

Agreed! I bought a trackpad this summer so I could be used to it before Lion was released. And I bought a new 2011 Mini the day it was released. I sold my 2009 Mini the next day. God, I love how well used Macs retain their value.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Well I just pickd up the trackpad earlier this spring in an impulse buy but I like it.

Lion rocks on my iMac with an SSD! If it was any faster I'd get nausea..... But I had a wifi issue that had me spewing all kinds of swear words. I reset the SMC like support said to no avail. It was only after I did it twice that it worked! My MacBook pro worked fine since I preemptively reset the SMC.

Another negative was the end of support for PPC emulation. My favorite chess GUI was the victim.

Everything else is working mush better and more consistently, including my vmware fusion, that is faster than a physical windows laptop I have.

Performance overall is very close, iTunes works better on lion, but with CS5 I think snow leopard is slightly faster. Could be the iOSing of it?

Still for windoze converts either OS will impress! A convert friend of mine described it best: she said, well now I don't have to scratch my head anymore thinking WTF did just happen?
  • Reply 37 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    But they no longer come with DVD Restore Discs and the MacBook Airs don't even DVD drives. There is no way Apple could be increasing their sales¡
  • Reply 38 of 58
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Lion is the best computer OS I have ever used. It is fast, Stable and has a great user interface.... I can see how it is driving MAC sales....

Now Lion Server is the exact opposite. It broke almost everything that was working well in the Snow Leopard server. It has to be the worse server OS release I have ever seen...... I hope it will get better, but right now it is almost useless...

It was basically a re-imagining of server. It is quite a bit different then Snow Leopard Server. Except for iCal Server they moved from twisted to a new GCD based web server with Ruby on Rails and Sinatra running on top. They built Profile Manager on top of this new framework. MCX is now deprecated in favor of MDM. Kerberos works completely differently and has fewer gotchas for a novice. They are lowering the importance of Server Admin and Workgroup Manager to eventually remove them. You might as well call this a 1.0 product because that is what it is.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But they no longer come with DVD Restore Discs and the MacBook Airs don't even DVD drives. There is no way Apple could be increasing their sales¡

You know someone will disagree with you of course
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The release of new MacBook Airs and the Mac OS X Lion operating system last month helped spur double-digit growth for Apple, which is now estimated to sell a record 4.5 million systems during the ongoing September quarter.

Quote:

Performing his own extrapolation and analysis of the NPD data, Munster estimates that Apple is pacing to sell 4.4 million to 4.6 million Macs during the September quarter -- both of which would represent a quarterly best.

DARN!
    -- Steve Jobs
    *(Obviously satirical and not actually said by Steve Jobs....publicly...)