Apple may introduce a radically different Mac product family by year's end

Comments

• Reply 141 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What is it you feel is being abandoned by Apple with regard your iMac? Do you mean Lion is too radical or the rumors of further changes even to Lion. Just asking for clarification..

THis is like saying you wish OS X could still be like OS 9. You have to move along or stay by the wayside... Just hold on tight for a fun ride I'd say

I do not like the user interface changes in Lion. I do not want to purchase it. This means I also don't get the security fixes (and other updates beneath the user interface). I have to take the bad to get the good. Apple has a reputation for only fixing security exploits on their latest OS's. So if you don't update, you get left vulnerable. Yes, I feel abandoned.
  • Reply 142 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XamaX View Post

Hey guys!

It's the new Apple TV line of IMacs.

Or should I say iOS based TVs?

Or Steve crammed an AppleTV into a TV AND expanded its capabilities to make the TV work like a giant iPhone screen, besides the existing Apple TV functions.

It's like a 55" iMac running iOS thru a remote and a Bluetooth keyboard.

Come on, it's kindda obvious!

It was "kind of" obvious in 2003 when this was first posed. Nothing has ever come from it.

Quote:

Can you imagine the possibilities? Can you see all video-games makers making games that take advantage of a 55" screen mated with the iPhone/iPad screen?

Why would I buy a $4,000 TV when I can buy a $99 box that does the same thing?
  • Reply 143 of 226
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a redesigned Mac Pro. Nothing to see here, people.

• Reply 144 of 226
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I could never see the attraction of a laptop.

They aren't *that* portable and they don't even come close to the power of a desktop. They also don't sync so you have to be "either-or" for your main computer. Using a desktop as well as a laptop is just awkward at best.

I like the idea of a powerful desktop (if you need it) and iPad for everything mobile. So far this is the perfect combo for me.

So what did you do for "everything mobile" before the arrival of iPad? ... Many laptops are getting very close to the performance of desktop systems. I have used laptops with external displays/docks for many years now in the AEC business. Portability/Performance ratio has continuously improved. MacBook Airs can now handle 3d design software like SketchUp quite well, and yes: I do find myself even taking that light machine with me less and less, because the iPad can handle a lot of the work while traveling. Another aspect of a laptop over a desktop however is the reduced space the system needs in a home or office. The connection of TV and computer supports that thought process.
  • Reply 145 of 226
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Have a look at this... it's funny:

An open letter to Canon from a disgruntled DSLR owner

Well that is why I have a real video camera. It takes reasonably good stills but not as good as my aging DSLR which I intend on replacing. If you want to shoot video, use a video camera. If you want to shoot stills, use a DSLR. The fact that they each claim to do both doesn't mean they are any good at the other medium for which they are not primarily designed.

Similarly I have Macs, Windows and Linux boxes and I always select the appropriate platform for the job at hand.
  • Reply 146 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

It makes sense! Apple has always pushed the envelope when it comes to getting rid of older technology and radical redesigns! With the kind of deep pockets they have now their R&D has a lot of fuel and they can hire some of the best.

Can't wait to see them

It's certainly an exciting idea. Whether Apple hits this target or not, who knows. But it's something other PC makers have only taken halfhearted (at best) stabs at.
  • Reply 147 of 226
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

A rumour about nothing.

Seinfeld would have approved.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Perhaps some kind of cloud computer.

Something that holds all data and applications in the cloud, yet has a real keyboard, can run iOS apps as well as re-compiled Mac apps, but offers a touch screen too.

Think MacBook Air with very little local storage, an ARM quad-core chip and insane battery life.

Apple had a few patent applications about notebook/tablet conversions...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esoom View Post

Hmmm, iOS version of a ChromeBook makes sense, that would explain the LTE microcells being installed in Apple Stores.

Would fit with iCloud's rollout timeline.

MBA type form factor anyone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Come to think of it they had filed for some interesting patents a while back. Had to do with lower power consumption and solar panels. Steve's plan was to produce the entire product line with no mechanical parts. I would think that would save on power a lot, not to mention the flexibility of "soft" keyboards pointing devices etc

So a roll-up, ARM-equipped, 16 core, solar-powered, convertible, 27", liquid metal ChromePad Pro with virutal wormhole storage to make it pocketable. Yup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

A Mac mini tower is a must. Quiet. Quad core. Something between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. Because the iMac is a waste of display after three years or so! The mythical midrange Mac minitower at

http://www.macworld.com/article/5856...drangemac.html

And a matte display of course. Sign the matte display petition at MacMatte as thousands have already done:

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

You guys are so charming in your persistence and futile resort to logical arguments. Never stop asking.
  • Reply 148 of 226
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a redesigned Mac Pro. Nothing to see here, people.

Love the douchy, "I know all" tone
  • Reply 149 of 226
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is a ridiculous attitude. Every OS is based on a particular vision of how a computer should work. You can agree with it or not, but it's got nothing to do with, "we know better than you"; it's a matter of, "this is our vision, if you like it, buy it."

Thank you. I can't stand the corporate paranoia. Apple is a company and its products are voted on by consumers. If you don't like it, don't vote for it. Where do so many people get the idea that companies like apple are forcing them to accept anything? Hollywood? Anti-corporate ideology being taught in schools? Sometimes I think people like that should live in a dictator-ruled country for a short time to learn the difference between being told what to do and having the power of choice. Companies like Apple are probably the best evidence of living in a benevolent world - they have a vision for what they want to make, they take the risks of making it, then they show it to the public and say, "look what we did...do you want to come along for the ride?" Oppression! Big Brother! Greedy corporations! ...uneducated children?
  • Reply 150 of 226
    Quote:

Yeah, I remember Taligent -- but that was happening as we were leaving the industry (and Silicon Valley).

If you were around Sunnyvale in the 1980s, our Sunnyvale Computer Plus store was at Fremont and Mary. We sold the stores in 1989.

Headstrong?

In 1979, I was doing a demo of an Apple ][ in our store with a crowd of about 15-20 people behind me.

All of a sudden this loud voice calls out from the back -- "You're doing it wrong!"

Jobs pushed his way to the front and proceeded to give the best damn Apple ][ demo I ever saw (better than Woz or his younger brother Mark -- who I thought was the best).

I lived about 3 miles from your store so I know exactly where it was! I was closer to Santa Clara. I ran in to Woz a few times, at least twice on El Camino Real since his car was so easy to spot.

I saw Jobs on a NeXT cube demo and I was impressed! That time Newton was actually the talk of the town and apple was under that chucklehead Sculley.
  • Reply 151 of 226
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

One criticism leveled against the iPad is it is NOT a computer like a Mac or PC and cannot be used to create, but only consume. The iPad IS powerful enough to create, but the apps have to struggle through iTunes to sync with a mac, etc. The iCloud eliminates the syncing.

This isn't true at all. The iPad can be a very good platform for creation.

Quote:

Consumers never really needed PCs to be so powerful as they seldom use them for anything but the internet and email. But slow PCs choke on video and awful flash animation.

I hope you see ho illogical the above statement is. If PCs choke on video and flash, very consummerish uses, then they arent powerful enough.

Quote:

Imagine a device that runs iOS and all iPad/iPhone apps, has 3G/4G/wireless, has a laptop form factor, can easily connect to your TV as a display, has 18 hours of battery life, costs under $1000, but can still be used like a regular computer to create documents, write SW, uses the cloud, but doesn't run an Intel processor. A dumbed-down PC with the all the power of an iPad and enough of the power of a Mac.

They exist and frankly are called laptops.

Quote:

Apple isn't making the Mac more like the iPad, but preapring to make the iPad more like the Mac (without the whole desktop interface). Remember, it's all OSX underneath, just the GUI that makes iOS different.

Actually I agree here, Apple has a long way to go with iOS.

Quote:

That could be the new device. It exists only in my mind, right now.

Actually I expect that there are many virtual iOS devices around. However there are likely dozen of prototypes hanging around Apples research labs right now. IOS is a success, Apple will likely try to leverage that success on different platforms or devices.
  • Reply 152 of 226
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have a new video camera but I am in the market for another DSLR camera. I like the Canon lenses better but the Sony chips are rated higher. Difficult decision although there is supposed to be a Nikon announcement on the 24th. Should be interesting.

In the past I bought Nikon simply because I like their lenses better. At least for the lenses I was interested in they where pretty much state of the art.
  • Reply 153 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

"I know all" tone

Love the insult (that you need to remove) and the fact that you actually believe that's how I was saying it.
  • Reply 154 of 226
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

My only question is why you are being some kind of hyper-aggressive a-hole here.

I wasn't "dissing" laptops or making fun of people that use them or anything of the sort. I thought I thought I was calmly describing what I use and why it works for me.

Then you come back with this shite? WTF?

There are trade-offs to using a laptop versus a desktop. Everyone knows this. I described a few.

Maybe you should take a valium and go suck your thumb in the corner somewhere.

That's nonsense. First, my post wasn't full of vitriol or anything.

You stated that laptops were useless. That is a silly viewpoint - when the market continues to switch to laptops.
  • Reply 155 of 226
    Macotakara is just guessing. Anyone can "predict" that future MacBooks will resemble the MacBook Air in some ways, just as anyone can "predict" an earthquake will strike again along some faultline.
  • Reply 156 of 226
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As in physically injured? Did they get holes punched into their fingers by a tape machine?

The injuries were psychological in nature.

Quote:

Perchance, are you referring to Boomer at the Trepedating Pole?

I think the zephyr window should be outlawed.
  • Reply 157 of 226
    I'm definitely on the side of those who think it's going to be a skinny iMac with a touch screen. It would be smaller, thinner, lighter, easily maneuverable, possibly with battery power so it can be picked up and moved around easily. The Lion interface clearly predisposes the Mac to gain touch capabilities, and there would be a huge market for sleek touchscreen computers, particularly in business/education (e.g. thin clients, kiosks, concierge services, order input for bars/restaurants etc.). There are a lot of patents which back up this concept as well, not to mention the power of further leveraging the popularity of iProducts to sell Macs.
  • Reply 158 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

iMac with a touch screen

It would need the most amazing base leg thing in the history of computing. No one will ever use a vertical touchscreen and no one will buy an angled computer unless it can be put vertically for media.
  • Reply 159 of 226
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

It wont stop them from existing, but without the MacPro the professional market would be sorely pissed and Apple would miss out on a giant chunk of the media creation market its worked so hard to cement itself into over the last few decades.

Professionals need workstations. MacPro is a workstation. 2+2 = 4 (etc.)

Apple has shown that they're not afraid of ruffling the feathers of professional users. Pros aren't their main market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I do not like the user interface changes in Lion. I do not want to purchase it. This means I also don't get the security fixes (and other updates beneath the user interface). I have to take the bad to get the good. Apple has a reputation for only fixing security exploits on their latest OS's. So if you don't update, you get left vulnerable. Yes, I feel abandoned.

I've been staying behind a version of Mac OS a lot, and they do release a fair number of security updates for the previous version of the OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well that is why I have a real video camera. It takes reasonably good stills but not as good as my aging DSLR which I intend on replacing. If you want to shoot video, use a video camera. If you want to shoot stills, use a DSLR. The fact that they each claim to do both doesn't mean they are any good at the other medium for which they are not primarily designed.

I agree, though it's really a pick your poison kind of thing. To get cinematic depth of field in a pro video camera, you'll need to spend to spend about 3x as much as you would an SLR.
  • Reply 160 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, though it's really a pick your poison kind of thing. To get cinematic depth of field in a pro video camera, you'll need to spend to spend about 3x as much as you would an SLR.

No expert here, just trying to learn...

Can't you get "good enough" depth of field by using filters and other effects in post?