Any good G6/A6 release date speculation?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2015

mmmmm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Any day now.

• Reply 2 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pawnjob View Post

Looking at buying a new computer and really can't wait much longer anyway, so I guess I'm just curious when the next generation Mac might be released. Any info?

Wait, "G6" like the song or "G6" like IBM PowerPC?

They're both completely ridiculous terms, so you need to be talking about neither.

And an ARM A6 Mac? You best be joking, son.

Also, WHAT Mac? iMac? Mac Pro? MacBook Pro? Mac Mini? They get updates at different times.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, "G6" like the song or "G6" like IBM PowerPC?

They're both completely ridiculous terms, so you need to be talking about neither.

And an ARM A6 Mac? You best be joking, son.

Also, WHAT Mac? iMac? Mac Pro? MacBook Pro? Mac Mini? They get updates at different times.

Tough crowd. I'm not a techy so forgive me if my terminology is off by a bit. I don't pretend to sound knowledgable but right off you make it sound like you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. Perhaps they're going to call it something else, I don't know. I got my first Mac, a G3 in the early 90's, a Powerbook "G4" around '05 w/ G5 desktops coming out around the same time. So I just assumed that Apple would release a G6 at some point in the future. I think any reasonable person w/ any common sense would have at least some idea of what I was trying to ask.

After you belittled me (and still contributed absolutely NOTHING) you went on to ask me a couple questions indicating that you actually did understand what I was getting at. ??? Why all the B.S. then? My reply is: Any of them, do you have any info at all? If it would help you to contribute to the conversation I'll try being more specific, I'll probably purchase an iMac. ??? Does that help?

I noticed you've made something like 3700 posts Tallest Skil. Are they all like this? Seems like a monumental waste of time. You're sarcasm might be better received if you actually had something to say and shared some info. Good luck champ, you'll need it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

you make it sound like you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't. You've given no specifics at all and it would be a, what was it, "monumental waste of my time" for me to type out the expected update dates for every Apple product.

Quote:

So I just assumed that Apple would release a G6 at some point in the future.

Ignoring all history for the past five years.

Quote:

I think any reasonable person w/ any common sense would have at least some idea of what I was trying to ask.

I absolutely would have. In 2005. But for the past four years at least, we assume people have been to Apple's website one or two times to see they don't use PowerPC processors or the "Generation" prefix anymore and would have some inkling of what's going on with model names to be able to ask a question about when a specific model will be updated.

Quote:

I noticed you've made something like 3700 posts Tallest Skil. Are they all like this? Seems like a monumental waste of time.

If th? Oh, right, I already made my joke about this part of your post up there.

You should see solipsism. I doubt his 20k+ posts were a "waste of time".

Quote:

You're sarcasm might be better received if you actually had something to say and shared some info. Good luck champ, you'll need it.

So? you continue not to tell us anything about your question and expect to still have it answered.

Good luck. You'll need it.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Tough crowd. ...

I noticed you've made something like 3700 posts Tallest Skil. Are they all like this? Seems like a monumental waste of time. You're sarcasm might be better received if you actually had something to say and shared some info. Good luck champ, you'll need it.

And you have one post (now two) and an empty profile ... more often than not that is indicative of a forum troll of some sort.

But now that you've shown a legitimate personality behind your posts ... ...

The "G#" nomenclature referred to the IBM/Motorola PowerePC CPU used in the Macs at that time. They dropped it almost 6 years ago when they switched to Intel CPU's.

The A4/A5 again refers to the CPU inside the iOS devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

In both cases it had nothing to do with the "generation" of the hardware design.

Apple never really lets on what their plans are with regards to new hardware ... I suppose that's part of the reason that this type of forum is so successful... someplace to speculate.

If they follow their past practices though, I wouldn't expect any changes to the iMac line before next spring. (Just this past spring they introduced new CPU/GPU and Thunderbolt into the iMacs.) And those changes may or may not include external appearance, but will almost certainly include better CPU's and probably GPU's. (The hardware design generally sticks around for several years... The current iMac design is 3 years old.)
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Tough crowd. I'm not a techy so forgive me if my terminology is off by a bit. I don't pretend to sound knowledgable but right off you make it sound like you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. Perhaps they're going to call it something else, I don't know. I got my first Mac, a G3 in the early 90's, a Powerbook "G4" around '05 w/ G5 desktops coming out around the same time. So I just assumed that Apple would release a G6 at some point in the future. I think any reasonable person w/ any common sense would have at least some idea of what I was trying to ask.

After you belittled me (and still contributed absolutely NOTHING) you went on to ask me a couple questions indicating that you actually did understand what I was getting at. ??? Why all the B.S. then? My reply is: Any of them, do you have any info at all? If it would help you to contribute to the conversation I'll try being more specific, I'll probably purchase an iMac. ??? Does that help?

The "G3" was the third-generation of Power Macintosh computers. This family used IBM's PowerPC 750 family of microprocessors. PowerBooks and iMacs that used processors in this family were also known as "G3." Interestingly, the term PowerBook has nothing to do with PowerPC. The PowerPC was a single-chip implementation of IBM's RISC-based POWER architecture. All of Apple's laptops prior to the iBook were PowerBooks. The first PowerBook was the 68000-based Macintosh PowerBook 100 released in 1991. The first Power PC-based PowerBook was the Macintosh PowerBook 500 with PowerPC released in 1995. But, I digress.

The G4 was a group of Apple computers that were based on Motorola's PowerPC 7400 family of microprocessors. It ran hot, but its power increase over the G3 was worth it. The G5 was a group of Power Mac towers and iMac all-in-ones that were based on IBM's PowerPC 970 family. These processors ran HOT!. Each PPC 970 processor required a custom-mated cooling module.

For this reason, it was not possible to develop a PowerBook G5. Steve Jobs demanded that IBM address the heat problem. IBM refused. Unfortunately for IBM, Intel had just solved the heat problem with its own processors. Jobs switched Apple from PowerPC to Intel.

Having abandoned the PowerPC, Apple also abandoned the word Power for its systems. Its laptops are now MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Its towers are now Mac Pros. It continues to use iMac and Mac mini.

For its part, IBM continues to use and develop the POWER architecture. I can only dream of what could have been if Apple used a microprocessor version of the POWER7®.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I can only dream of what could have been if Apple used a microprocessor version of the POWER7®.

So can other people. Imagine the fans!

• Reply 8 of 15
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:

For this reason, it was not possible to develop a PowerBook G5. Steve Jobs demanded that IBM address the heat problem. IBM refused. Unfortunately for IBM, Intel had just solved the heat problem with its own processors. Jobs switch Apple from PowerPC to Intel.

I'm not sure if IBM completely refused to solve the heat problem, I think it was more of a half-hearted attempt that annoyed Apple, subsequently moving them to Intel.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So can other people. Imagine the fans!

Is that a S-Video port on that PowerBook G5? To be clear, the PowerBook G5 would not use a POWER7® chip set. The PowerPC 970 used in the G5 was based on the POWER4®. So, a POWER7®-derived microprocessor would be the heart of the Power Mac G8.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Is that a S-Video port on that PowerBook G5?

Yeah, the image was based on the last PowerBook G4, which had S-Video. Good times, good times.

Quote:

To be clear, the PowerBook G5 would not use a POWER7® chip set. The PowerPC 970 used in the G5 was based on the POWER4®. So, a POWER7®-derived microprocessor would be the heart of the Power Mac G8.

"Five's on first." "So who's on sixth?" "Seven's on eighth, so six is on fifth."
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I don't even know what a troll is King, but @ you and Mr. Me, Thank you. That helped immensely. Tallest, you're just a Dickhead. Later guys
  • Reply 12 of 15
    And just to be clear, I in no way intended to imply that making a large number of posts was a waste of time. That's what I came here for so I hope I didn't offend anyone. I meant to say that posts like the one Tallest made were a waste.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I got my first Mac, a G3 in the early 90's, a Powerbook "G4" around '05 w/ G5 desktops coming out around the same time. So I just assumed that Apple would release a G6 at some point in the future.

Still the question remains and it becomes pertinent by the fact the you are a Mac user. How was it possible to miss the Intel transition that happened in the meantime? Don't you read the news about the Macintosh? Just curious.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Still the question remains and it becomes pertinent by the fact the you are a Mac user. How was it possible to miss the Intel transition that happened in the meantime? Don't you read the news about the Macintosh? Just curious.

The OP asked his question. He received an answer to his satisfaction. What purpose is served by coming in later to scold him?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

The OP asked his question. He received an answer to his satisfaction. What purpose is served by coming in later to scold him?

I already said it: just curious. It is not scolding, as you falsely assume.