Apple issues iTunes 10.4.1 update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has made available a minor update to iTunes that fixes a variety of bugs discovered in the release of iTunes 10.4, such as unresponsiveness when purchasing HD rentals and longer-than-expected launch times.

The new iTunes 10.4.1 update is available from System Update and Apple's download page, which lists a 90.26MB Mac Universal Binary package as well as two Windows versions, one for 32-bit editions and one for 64-bit systems.

Apple's update notes for the new release lists the following improvements:

Fixes a problem where the media keys on some third-party keyboards work inconsistently with iTunes

Addresses issues with adding artwork to songs and videos

Resolves an issue which may cause iTunes to become unresponsive when purchasing an HD movie

Fixes a problem where iTunes may take longer than expected to open after waking your Mac from sleep

Addresses issues with VoiceOver support

Apple has separately issued a 10.5 version of iTunes to developers for testing, which incorporates support for syncing with devices running iOS 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Updating now ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 27
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Is there a difference between "fixes", "addresses" and "resolves"?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Is there a difference between "fixes", "addresses" and "resolves"?

Yes, unofficially and between the lines.

Fixes means exactly that.

Addresses means they tried and mostly it works, but in some instances it's still broke.

Resolves means the bug is gone, but just as likely the feature went with it.

Well either that or the copy just reads better without repeating the same term a bajillion times in a vertical row...
  • Reply 4 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm on the newest 10.5.

STILL inexcusably bad at caching artwork and sort order is STILL completely broken when you switch between any two sections of your library.

Come on, Apple; this is absolutely pathetic.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm on the newest 10.5.

STILL inexcusably bad at caching artwork and sort order is STILL completely broken when you switch between any two sections of your library.

Not that surprising, given all the mistakes lately with Mac software. They really should clean house and hire good designers in the Mac software department, instead of sending them all to iOS.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    How about "Integrates Lion's 'back/forward' gesture in the iTunes store." Please?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Resume playback finally implemented? Such essential feature was available in SoundJam MP back in 2001, from where iTunes was developed.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    What a bunch of crap. I installed iTunes, repaired permissions and rebooted the computer. I made sure that my mp3 files targeted the new iTunes and clicked Change All. I still can't get artwork to show in the icons in any Finder view for my recently made mp3 files. Copied older mp3 files that do have artwork in the icons, lose the artwork as soon as it's copied to another folder. You'd figure Apple could fix something as simple as that, fer crissakes. In all the years I've been using iTunes, it's the most frustrating simple problem that I've come across. What is so hard about getting mp3 files to show artwork. I guess I'll try deleting all the System caches or something. Maybe there's some other crap that's gotten fouled up. How annoying.

• Reply 9 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Resume playback finally implemented? Such essential feature was available in SoundJam MP back in 2001, from where iTunes was developed.

What in heaven's name are you talking about?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Not nearly as interesting as HP dropping webOS. But news marches on...
  • Reply 11 of 27
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Lol ;-)
  • Reply 12 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I agree. Best entertainment for ages. Seen the Hitler videos on YouTube? ... there are several versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaeOXyA7wo0&sns=em
  • Reply 13 of 27
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Not to sound negative, but someone really has to put a limit on how unimportant an article can be before they let the author post it. Are you going to write about it when the program goes from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 next?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not to sound negative, but someone really has to put a limit on how unimportant an article can be before they let the author post it. Are you going to write about it when the program goes from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 next?

Why not? It gives people a place to talk about problems. That's beneficial isn't it?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    This still doesn't address the issue where users of wacom tablets can't drag tracks and playlists around - very annoying not being able to create playlists and tidy the library without having to swap input device....
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Been there for ages - get info on a track (or your entire library if you want) and tick "remember playback position" in info.

Can't imagine anything more annoying that going to play a track and being halfway through already though...
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

I'm on the newest 10.5.

10.5 is a beta - I assume you're a developer and are reporting your issues to Apple?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Been there for ages - get info on a track (or your entire library if you want) and tick "remember playback position" in info.

Can't imagine anything more annoying that going to play a track and being halfway through already though...

I did not mean that. I do not want it. Besides that for doing that you must do it manually one-by-one on all the thousands of songs that you may have; but as said, I do not want such feature at all.

What I meant is that you are listening a very long playlist of thousands of songs, quit iTunes, reboot the Mac or shut down the Mac. The next time that you open iTunes it starts from song number one again, but you want it to resume from the last song played (say, song number 1456 or whatever). For me that is the most essential feature missing in iTunes, and as said, such essential feature was available in SoundJam MP back in 2001, from where iTunes was developed.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Quote:

What in heaven's name are you talking about?

See my answer above.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    I wonder if there will be a 'total' revamp of iTunes/iPhoto as I'm finding it cumbersome managing photos and videos between the two as almost all new photo cameras do video as well.

Sounds like an iMedia product waiting to happen...