Apple's cheaper iPhone 4, new iPhone 4S with larger screen to debut in September

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's Far Eastern suppliers are currently manufacturing a cheaper version of the company's existing iPhone 4 in addition to an all new iPhone with a slightly larger display, both of which are slated for an introduction by the end of next month, Reuters is reporting.



Citing two people with knowledge of the matter, the global news agency said it's heard that Apple's Asian suppliers have begun building "a lower-priced version of its hot-selling iPhone 4 with a smaller 8 gigabyte flash drive" that's "expected to launch within weeks."



It quoted an industry analyst who believes Apple may target the device, which will offer less storage than the 16GB and 32GB iPhone 4's that launched a little over a year ago, at boosting sales in emerging markets, where customers may be looking to trade in their high-end traditional cell phones for low- to mid-end smartphones, which typically cost $150-200.



In addition, Reuters said Apple is also targeting an end-September launch for the next-generation iPhone 5, which some of its sources have been calling "the iPhone 4S because of its largely identical appearance to the existing iPhone 4."



However, the handset will have a bigger touch screen, better antenna and an 8-megapixel camera, according to one of the people familiar with the matter.



Manufacturers Hon Hai and Pegatron have reportedly been asked to produce as many as 45 million units of the new fifth-generation iPhone for the remainder of the year, which would represent more than double the 20.34 million iPhones Apple sold during its second calendar quarter of 2011.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 43
    I'm still not sure about the "4S" name.



    If it's gonna have a bigger screen... I think iPhone 5 is more fitting.



    3G to 3GS was an internal change. But if the next iPhone has different hardware... why use the same number?



    After all... the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    This sounds like pure disinformation.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post


    This sounds like pure disinformation.



    I agree. There's nothing here that sounds any more legitimate than the last batch of rumors, anyway.



    Plus, am I the only one who would really be displeases with a larger screen? I've seen some of those huge Androids, and quite frankly, they look really impractical.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I'll be most disappointed if the screen is only slightly larger. I look upon giant Android screens with envy.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by autism10 View Post


    I agree. There's nothing here that sounds any more legitimate than the last batch of rumors, anyway.



    Plus, am I the only one who would really be displeases with a larger screen? I've seen some of those huge Androids, and quite frankly, they look really impractical.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    I'll be most disappointed if the screen is only slightly larger. I look upon giant Android screens with envy.







    Can't please everyone. At least not with Apple's "one size fits all" philosophy. Apple will decide what's best for you!



    Short of making multiple screen sizes, which I don't see Apple doing, if I had to choose I'd go with the current phone size, but try to make the screen a wee bit bigger within that form-factor. I think Apple would lose more customers with a bigger phone than they'd gain from it (again, assuming they only make one size).



    If they wanted to make a mid-size iDevice, I think it'd more likely be the iPod touch.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    I wondered if we would get am 8 gig version. Hopefully they keep the 16 as well when the new phone is released. My daughter is using my wife's heavily abused 3G right now and asks me 4-5 times a week when they will drop the price on the current phone so she can get one.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,308member
    An iPhone 4 with just 8gb of memory would make sense as the cheaper handset, it's exactly what they did with the 3GS so would hardly be a surprise.



    I'd imagine thay they would simply leave it's name be once again just like the 3GS.



    When you consider how ancient the IP4 now is I'd be extremely surprised to see and iPhone 4S, it'll be an iPhone 5 plain and simple.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    hattighattig Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by autism10 View Post


    I agree. There's nothing here that sounds any more legitimate than the last batch of rumors, anyway.



    Plus, am I the only one who would really be displeases with a larger screen? I've seen some of those huge Androids, and quite frankly, they look really impractical.



    I use one of them, and the larger display is great, and the marginally larger size of the phone isn't an issue when it's so thin. Quite unlike the large display bricks of the past.



    Anyway, Apple have enough bezel on the current iPhone to increase the screen size without altering the footprint of the phone.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    I've gone back and forth between ip4 and a range of the latest Android devices.



    Apple had better release something great ( at least as notable as the ip4 when it was released- sans antennae issues) in September. Total redesign that eschews the metal frame - Thinner, larger screen with richer colors and deeper blacks, better battery, etc.



    "4s" at this juncture does not cut it.



    Not sure why they waited this long but I'm not convinced it was market strategy.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    hattighattig Posts: 858member
    Well the savings won't come from using 8GB instead of 16GB, given the price of flash memory these days. The savings will come from using lower-end components. Plastic backs, cheaper displays, less DRAM, cheaper electronics (slower A5s that didn't make the grade, slower DRAMs, cheaper 3G circuits, etc.



    Maybe Apple could consider a higher capacity for the top end iPhone 5 - charging $100 more for an extra 16GB of flash is getting a bit tired these days.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    I'll be most disappointed if the screen is only slightly larger. I look upon giant Android screens with envy.



    Isn't there a commandment about that? coveting thy neighbors sexy phone?



    I think the form factor most closely approximating a pocket phone, coupled with retaining the resolution parameters of the current phone are the gating factors.



    I doubt they'd add more than .25 on the width (pushing edge to edge... which if you 'wrap' your holding hand while gesturing, you'll end up with a thumb being a 2nd/third finger on the screen, giving unexpected nav results), and .35 on the length, and retain the same number of pixels (that's almost a 10% increase in screen), dropping it to 300ish DPI.





    Beyond that, get your wandering eyes an android phone, or get reading glasses;-)
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post






    Can't please everyone. At least not with Apple's "one size fits all" philosophy. Apple will decide what's best for you!



    Short of making multiple screen sizes, which I don't see Apple doing, if I had to choose I'd go with the current phone size, but try to make the screen a wee bit bigger within that form-factor. I think Apple would lose more customers with a bigger phone than they'd gain from it (again, assuming they only make one size).



    If they wanted to make a mid-size iDevice, I think it'd more likely be the iPod touch.



    The Touch as a mid-size device would make sense. Ideally you'd want the biggest screen possible without losing the ability to pocket the unit in a reasonably sized pocket. I think this point is with a device larger than the current Touch but I don't know that Apple shares my view.



    What I do see is that now would be a good time to cut the umbilical cord between the iPhone and the Touch. The Touch should be developed as a pocket computer rather than an iPhone without the phone or 3G connectivity.



    The iPhone, on the other hand, works perfectly with its current dimensions so why not use different screen sizes with different devices.



    I could well imagine a 4.5" Touch that is an upgrade on the current model yet reasonably portable. If Apple brings out such a device, sign me up. If not, I'll keep my current Touch until it dies on me.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple's Far Eastern suppliers are currently manufacturing a cheaper version of the company's existing iPhone 4 in addition to an all new iPhone with a slightly larger display, both of which are slated for an introduction by the end of next month, Reuters is reporting.

    ...



    Both sound hideous to me. I hope this is another erroneous rumour. I sure wouldn't buy anything like that.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post


    Isn't there a commandment about that? coveting thy neighbors sexy phone?




    "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's ... wife, nor his ass..."



    Nothing about his cool Android phone...
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Both sound hideous to me. I hope this is another erroneous rumour. I sure wouldn't buy anything like that.





    C'mon. Steve knows best. You'll slurp it up as soon as it is released.



    BTW, where are the comments saying that more megapixels make for a worse camera?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post


    C'mon. Steve knows best. You'll slurp it up as soon as it is released.



    BTW, where are the comments saying that more megapixels make for a worse camera?



    Feel better? Dick bigger?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Obviously there are as many rumors as there are iPhone users, so no one knows anything.



    However, for the sake of conversation let's say that this article is for the most part accurate...



    If there will be 2 new iPhones (a less expensive phone based on iP4, and a new full feature iPhone with a slightly larger screen), then it seems clear that if either of these devices would be called an iPhone 4s, that it would be this cheaper one.



    My opinion? The new flagship phone will in fact be called iPhone 5.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    If they are going to continue selling the 4 (either in it's current form or a smaller capacity version) there's no way Apple would call the new phone a 4S or 4GS whatever. It would confuse some people and Apple wants people to buy the new model -- the easiest way to do that is to distinguish it with a higher, unique number - hence iPhone 5.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post


    My opinion? The new flagship phone will in fact be called iPhone 5.



    Correct.



    Steve Jobs will get up on stage and announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.



    It's simple. And we all know how much Steve likes simplicity.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    am8449am8449 Posts: 355member
    Please Apple, don't release a phone with an edge-to-edge screen.



    You need the blank space at the edges so that you can grip the phone firmly with your fingertips.
Sign In or Register to comment.