Apple's cheaper iPhone 4, new iPhone 4S with larger screen to debut in September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

BTW, where are the comments saying that more megapixels make for a worse camera?

We're just silently laughing at you for not knowing anything about optics. No need to post the same, irrefutable arguments that you'll just ignore.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I'm still not sure about the "4S" name.

If it's gonna have a bigger screen... I think iPhone 5 is more fitting.

3G to 3GS was an internal change. But if the next iPhone has different hardware... why use the same number?

After all... the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone.

I think you've hit on one of the reasons why this rumour can't be true.

Changing the size of the screen would be a major, major deal for Apple. It's not something they would do lightly at all. It doesn't even really make sense to have a bigger screen in the first place, and it makes even less sense for them to do it and then just casually release it as a slight variation of the iPhone known as iPhone 4s. If they were going to make a change like that it would be trumpeted from the heavens.

For this reason, the only way I can make sense out of this rumour is if you assume the thing with the bigger screen (and the curved back and iPad-like looks if we are to believe those cases), is actually the next iPod touch.

It would make some kind of sense, if the iPhone 5 was LTE and thus not quite ready, to instead have a cheapo iPhone 4 (or iPhone 4x), to spread adoption and boost the 4th quarter and holiday sales until the iPhone 5 proper arrives in the Spring along with the new iPad.

Just a guess on my part, but it's the only thing that makes sense out of all these rumours to me.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by autism10 View Post

I agree. There's nothing here that sounds any more legitimate than the last batch of rumors, anyway.

Plus, am I the only one who would really be displeases with a larger screen? I've seen some of those huge Androids, and quite frankly, they look really impractical.

I have an HD7 and whenever I've used my old iPhone since getting it I've always been shocked by how small and cramped everything on the iPhone is. A 4 inch screen is much better, particularly with games where your fingers are always covering part of the screen.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:

3G to 3GS was an internal change. But if the next iPhone has different hardware... why use the same number?

After all... the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone.

These are placeholder names invented by the rumor mill.

Same rumor, different day. Meh.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    I love all these posts saying apple must have this feature or this other form factor to keep people from switching to android. The iPhone 3GS sold more units this year than any individual android phone. Apple clearly doesn't *have* to do any particular thing to please the masses. Maybe they'll lose a few tech junkies, but oh well.

In all honesty, it's android manufacturers that should've thinking there's things they have to do to keep people from switching to the iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

In all honesty, it's android manufacturers that should've thinking there's things they have to do to keep people from switching to the iPhone.

Too bad they can't. Android and the hardware designed around it are already too close to iOS and the iPhone design to get any closer; they're being sued already and people STILL hate them!
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Too bad they can't. Android and the hardware designed around it are already too close to iOS and the iPhone design to get any closer; they're being sued already and people STILL hate them!

Yes, they can't copy more, but they could work on making the experience more consistent. Maybe focus less on adding things to differentiate from other vendors and focus more on making everything work more fluidly and intuitively.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

We're just silently laughing at you for not knowing anything about optics. No need to post the same, irrefutable arguments that you'll just ignore.

I know quite well which factors make for a good camera. Thanks anyways.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Please Apple, don't release a phone with an edge-to-edge screen.

You need the blank space at the edges so that you can grip the phone firmly with your fingertips.

Hmm, when I hold my phone, I don't think my fingers or heel of my hand touch the bezel on the sides. But it definitely could be an issue for some people, I suppose.

I'm not great at math, so I'm not sure how much that would gain them, anyways. I do know that I hope the phone stays pretty much the same size. Then again, I've had my 3GS for so long, I'm just totally used to it at this point.

It feels like I've been waiting for the iPhone5 to come out forever.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Not sure why Apple Insider is calling the upgraded phone the 4S when the article they link to is calling it the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

Steve Jobs will get up on stage and announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.

It's simple. And we all know how much Steve likes simplicity.

I think this will be the case - I certainly hope so...
  • Reply 32 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

These are placeholder names invented by the rumor mill.

Same rumor, different day. Meh.

So it won't be called the iPhone 5GS PLUS?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Lager screen and cheaper iPhone 4 = a bump in marketshare for ios in my opinion. If the screen is 3.7 inches I will have a huge nerdgasm.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Steve Jobs will get up on stage and announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.

It's simple. And we all know how much Steve likes simplicity.

Throw in a 5'' screen, and I might get one
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Please Apple, don't release a phone with an edge-to-edge screen.

You need the blank space at the edges so that you can grip the phone firmly with your fingertips.

It can't ever be completely edge to edge as long as they keep the same general iPhone 3/4 style. The annular ring that holds the glass on the front is always going to take up a couple of millimetres.

Personally, if they do edge to edge I'd rather they keep the screen the same size and reduce the size of the phone instead. an edge to edge screen on the current iPhone 4 would enable them to make it almost a quarter inch smaller in all dimensions.

I'd much prefer a smaller iPhone than the same design but blown up to a larger size. I think the larger screens are just popular because a lot of people have fat fingers.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... I think the larger screens are just popular because a lot of people have fat fingers.

Muscular, thank you very much.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Throw in a 5'' screen, and I might get one

Like the one Dell just killed for lack of consumer interest?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

And yet, more people buy Android phones than all the rest of the smartphones put together!

Go figure...
  • Reply 39 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

And yet, more people buy Android phones than all the rest of the smartphones put together!

And yet more people buy a two year old iPhone than any Android device. Go figure?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

And yet more people buy a two year old iPhone than any Android device. Go figure?

It is easily the best cheap smartphone out there. No argument from me.