Sprint estimated to sell 6 million more US iPhones for Apple in 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Adding Sprint as an iPhone carrier this fall could help Apple's growth grow from 30 to 37 percent, adding 6 million more iPhone users over the next calendar year.

According to a note by analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, the addition of Sprint to Apple's US carrier mix, as reported to be in the cards by the Wall Street Journal, would increase Apple's estimated 2012 phone sales from 111 million to 117 million.

The estimate is modeled after Verizons' sales of 4.6 million iPhone 4 units in the first half of the year. The analyst expects Verizon to sell 12 million iPhones in its first year of sales, roughly 11 percent of its phone mix.

If Sprint sells a similar percentage of iPhones, it would amount to 6 million new sales for Apple next year across its 52 million subscribers.

In the most recent quarter, AT&T sold about 3.6 million iPhones and Verizon sold 2.3 million, together accounting for about 30 percent of Apple's global smartphone sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adding Sprint as an iPhone carrier this fall could help Apple's growth grow from 30 to 37 percent, adding 6 million more iPhone users over the next calendar year.

In all of 2012?

Isn't that lowballing it a bit?

(But what's a million or two, give or take, anyway?)

___
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    I think Sprint has some work to do before courting Apple customers:

http://sports.sprint.com/speed/

(I'm looking at that using desktop Safari with Click-to-Flash enabled; I have no idea if it redirects to a mobile site if accessed using iOS.)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Those numbers must be wrong.

They were published by Gene Munster.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I think Sprint has some work to do before courting Apple customers:

http://sports.sprint.com/speed/

(I'm looking at that using desktop Safari with Click-to-Flash enabled; I have no idea if it redirects to a mobile site if accessed using iOS.)

The projections make more sense with iPhone being former non-iPhone Sprint users.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I, for one, who will probably get bashed to heck for posting this, would happily go back to Sprint for the iPhone. I had great coverage with voice and data. Their plans, albeit a few years ago, were truly great and competitive. The SERO program was an incredible cost savings compared to my ATT plan now. $50 for 1250 mins, unlimited text and web, etc. vs $80 monthly for 450 anytime with rollover, $20 unlimited text plan and $30 data plan (including my corporate discount). I sure hope Dan Hesse has beefed up the network in preparation for onslaught of new data-hungry customers.

Ok, now bash away.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianlfl View Post

$20 unlimited text plan

Which would go away if Sprint got the iPhone, so there wouldn't be a point in returning to them if they got it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which would go away if Sprint got the iPhone, so there wouldn't be a point in returning to them if they got it.

I pray they do and include it in their data plan cost. It's such a rip off.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I'll go out on a limb and make a bold prediction. The iPhone will likely take back most of the market share it's lost to Android in the U.S. in a year or so. If the iPhone is available on all carriers at a cost only slightly higher than the most expensive Android smartphones, why would the average consumer choose Android smartphones? Some might want a physical keyboard and some might want Flash, some may want 4G or a 4.3" display. But I'll bet that will only add up to 5% of the consumers looking for a smartphone.

Now that the iPad is being used by Android smartphone users, there's going to be a halo effect for those that are using Android smartphones to switch to the iPhone, especially if there's cloud synch. There's going to be an awful lot of older iPhone 4 stock that Apple will be dropping the price on and then there'll be refurb iPhone 4s, too. I have my doubts that Android smartphone users will be loyal enough to stick with Android smartphones. I also believe carriers will definitely try to push the iPhone into consumers' hands.

Starting with the new iPhone releases towards the end of this year, Apple is going to shift into overdrive. I have no doubt in my mind. As Apple continues to grow its economies of scale, it's going to leave competing companies struggling to achieve even razor thin margins and it will only get worse as iPhone market share goes higher. Apple is making so many future component deals that it's going to be very difficult for rivals to even get the best components in quantity.

By the end of this year, Apple should have a cash reserve of about $86 billion. What is there that Apple can't do as a fully integrated company with that much money? Apple's retail stores are just going bleed the life out of the rest of the consumer computer industry as fast as they're being opened.

I've said my piece and I'll just sit back and watch it unfold.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'll go out on a limb and make a bold prediction. The iPhone will likely take back most of the market share it's lost to Android in the U.S. in a year or so. If the iPhone is available on all carriers at a cost only slightly higher than the most expensive Android smartphones, why would the average consumer choose Android smartphones? Some might want a physical keyboard and some might want Flash, some may want 4G or a 4.3" display. But I'll bet that will only add up to 5% of the consumers looking for a smartphone.

Now that the iPad is being used by Android smartphone users, there's going to be a halo effect for those that are using Android smartphones to switch to the iPhone, especially if there's cloud synch. There's going to be an awful lot of older iPhone 4 stock that Apple will be dropping the price on and then there'll be refurb iPhone 4s, too. I have my doubts that Android smartphone users will be loyal enough to stick with Android smartphones. I also believe carriers will definitely try to push the iPhone into consumers' hands.

Starting with the new iPhone releases towards the end of this year, Apple is going to shift into overdrive. I have no doubt in my mind. As Apple continues to grow its economies of scale, it's going to leave competing companies struggling to achieve even razor thin margins and it will only get worse as iPhone market share goes higher. Apple is making so many future component deals that it's going to be very difficult for rivals to even get the best components in quantity.

By the end of this year, Apple should have a cash reserve of about $86 billion. What is there that Apple can't do as a fully integrated company with that much money? Apple's retail stores are just going bleed the life out of the rest of the consumer computer industry as fast as they're being opened.

I've said my piece and I'll just sit back and watch it unfold.

Android is big in pay-as-you-go phones. That is a market that Apple hasn't entered. I think Android also sells quite a bit through virtual carriers that target customers with really bad credit. These people would probably have to pay a big down payment to get an iPhone through a traditional carrier.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Sprint is the coolest carrier in my opinion, followed by Verizon, followed by tmobile, followed by AT&T. An additional 6 mil iPhones would not hurt, would certainly blow the pants off nexus s's sprint offering.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'll go out on a limb and make a bold prediction. The iPhone will likely take back most of the market share it's lost to Android in the U.S. in a year or so.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be willing if they could. But with the demand for smartphones expected to exceed 600million units next year, Apple couldn't possibly supply half of that.

Not happening.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macs2InfinityAndBeyond View Post

In all of 2012?

Isn't that lowballing it a bit?

(But what's a million or two, give or take, anyway?)

___

Not if you consider that sprint has about 33 customers
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianlfl View Post

I, for one, who will probably get bashed to heck for posting this, would happily go back to Sprint for the iPhone. I had great coverage with voice and data. Their plans, albeit a few years ago, were truly great and competitive. The SERO program was an incredible cost savings compared to my ATT plan now. $50 for 1250 mins, unlimited text and web, etc. vs $80 monthly for 450 anytime with rollover, $20 unlimited text plan and $30 data plan (including my corporate discount). I sure hope Dan Hesse has beefed up the network in preparation for onslaught of new data-hungry customers.

Ok, now bash away.

Sprint has a cult-like following too so they must be doing something right.... Dunno what it is, but regardless....

Anyway, their 4G as you may know is not really 4G and it is outsourced and WiMax. I'm not sure how much control they will have over that and whether the new iPhone will even support that technology.