Mac Mini and Video Editing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I wanted to find out if the new Mac Mini is powerful enough for basic home video editing. This will not be anything professional, simply Vlogs to post to Youtube. I was looking at building a new PC for this task however I have been looking at the new Mac Mini's, which comes with I movie, and with the new I5 and I7 chips, I was thinking that would be a better option. Thoughts

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    p40whkp40whk Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeBCanon View Post

I wanted to find out if the new Mac Mini is powerful enough for basic home video editing. This will not be anything professional, simply Vlogs to post to Youtube. I was looking at building a new PC for this task however I have been looking at the new Mac Mini's, which comes with I movie, and with the new I5 and I7 chips, I was thinking that would be a better option. Thoughts

Mike

I just traded a 2006 MAC Pro for one of the new MAC Mini's (i7 processor) and yes, they are plenty powerful for what you want to do. I used to do a lot of video editing with my MAC Pro and my new Mini actually has more power.

If you do go the mini route, you'll only be hampered by the size of your hard drive. Ram is easily upgradable but the hard drive takes a little more effort. I have a 1Tb external drive hooked up through USB and there is a bit of lag. A solid State Drive would be great for this task but I'd wait till the sizes get larger and the prices get smaller.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by p40whk View Post

I just traded a 2006 MAC Pro for one of the new MAC Mini's (i7 processor) and yes, they are plenty powerful for what you want to do. I used to do a lot of video editing with my MAC Pro and my new Mini actually has more power.

If you do go the mini route, you'll only be hampered by the size of your hard drive. Ram is easily upgradable but the hard drive takes a little more effort. I have a 1Tb external drive hooked up through USB and there is a bit of lag. A solid State Drive would be great for this task but I'd wait till the sizes get larger and the prices get smaller.

That is great, thanks for the info. If i knew for sure that the Macbook Air would be powerful enough, I might be willing to go that route as well, but it is hard to justify that much money for another laptop when I could build a PC or go the mac mini route for a lot less.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

If i knew for sure that the Macbook Air would be powerful enough, I might be willing to go that route

I doubt the MBA's 1.6GHz, 1.7GHz, or 1.8GHz CPU combined with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor is enough for video editing. Unless you don't mind it chugging through the night for rendering.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

I doubt the MBA's 1.6GHz, 1.7GHz, or 1.8GHz CPU combined with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor is enough for video editing. Unless you don't mind it chugging through the night for rendering.

That was my thought exactly. I have been needing a desktop machine, and I think it will come down to either me building a machine or simply getting the Mac Mini. I have to admit that I have never owned a Mac [Dont Hate me] simply because I could not afford them, but the price of the Mini is reasonable. I think the Mac Mini would be a great way to break into the Mac world.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

That was my thought exactly. I have been needing a desktop machine, and I think it will come down to either me building a machine or simply getting the Mac Mini. I have to admit that I have never owned a Mac [Dont Hate me] simply because I could not afford them, but the price of the Mini is reasonable. I think the Mac Mini would be a great way to break into the Mac world.

You'll hit yourself for not having done that years ago! Macs don't need to be replaced after 18 months. And they have a resale value. That's much cheaper over the years.