Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 81 of 329
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Lost for words. I gave up teaching to join Apple in 1978 and Steve Changed my life. I hope he has many years left in retirement or as Chairman.
  • Reply 82 of 329
    Hopefully by him staying on as Chairman of the Board he will have all the say he wants in what ever he wants that has to do with Apple. I know Tim Cook will be a good CEO, but I hope that if he wants to do something and Steve tells him something else, he goes with Steve's decision

Let's not get too anxious guys. Remember that Steve has been out for almost this entire year. And Apple has held it's own. He has set a great foundation and has taught Tim well. Plus, he will be there to help out.

Good luck on your health issues Steve Jobs. I hope you get better soon!
  • Reply 83 of 329
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    The rampant idiocy of people on various message boards has brought out some deep-rooted anger in me. I'm almost shocked over what I wrote to someone who was making fun of Jobs' health: "Wow you're an idiot. Just go hang yourself and be sure to set up some cameras and film yourself doing it so your kids will have something to cheer them up on sad days."

Didn't know I could be that cruel. But he kinda deserved it.
  • Reply 84 of 329
    Mission accomplished: universe dented. Sincerely wishing you the very best, Steve.
  • Reply 85 of 329
    Thanks for moving this world forward. You've set the standard.

Listen. Go with your gut. Always rethink. Surprise with greatness.
  • Reply 86 of 329
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I realize what this new may imply, but let's not get ahead of our selves. One day at a time and all. All the best, Steve!
  • Reply 87 of 329
    I suspect this was intentionally timed. Steve is fine. He is ready to retire. (like Gates did)

They need 30 odd days for the analysts to flame them and for the stock to settle down.. so Tim can stand tall when he announces the next iPhone and the delivery date for iCloud. It's a carefully planned script to swing succession plans into place and to make the next chapter of Apple be one without Steve as it's face.

God forbid anything is wrong with Steve. That man means too much to technology. We need him like we needed Walt Disney. Few and far between as such brilliant and amazing men.

-NUM
  • Reply 88 of 329
    Any chance we'll get a: "One more thing"?
  • Reply 89 of 329
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

I suspect this was intentionally timed. Steve is fine. He is ready to retire. (like Gates did)

They need 30 odd days for the analysts to flame them and for the stock to settle down.. so Tim can stand tall when he announces the next iPhone and the delivery date for iCloud. It's a carefully planned script to swing succession plans into place and to make the next chapter of Apple be one without Steve as it's face.

I like your attitude man!
  • Reply 90 of 329
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

There is no way to prove it hasn't worked. Perhaps it would be down 12% without the wording in his letter. If there is one thing I've learned about Jobs over the past 25 years is that he puts his words in a certain order purposely. Always. And it usually has an effect on people.

Nothing can be proven naturally, but 6% is a very big drop by any standard, and I don't see how giving the possible impression that Steve might not assume board leadership could mitigate investor uncertainty. Seems to me the only possible outcome is more uncertainty, and questions perhaps.

Anyway, I suspect this will come out in the wash over time. Tim Cook has been CEO in everything but name for a couple of years now, and I've been arguing for much of that time that Steve should make it official. But it seems Apple can't help but make these events more dramatic than necessary. Hard to miss this peculiar wrinkle.
  • Reply 91 of 329
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The board chair was Bill Campbell. It would not have been polite in the least to ask to assume his position in a letter unless it was previously agreed to.

That may have been part of the succession plan even agreed to months ago however once the circumstance has actually come to pass, the board would reconvene and finalize the vote. I'm happy that there was no apparent advanced knowledge of his decision, hence no leaks or insider trading.
  • Reply 92 of 329
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Mr. Jobs is not dead yet, and I am sure he will live for many more year, as I am sure he will suprise us all with many more gadgets to fulfill are empty lives with until the sad day come he's just going to take it a little easyer and enjoy live.
  • Reply 93 of 329
    Jobs will be remember for three things - all he did with Apple - all he did with Pixar - and for choosing Tim Cook as his successor.
  • Reply 94 of 329
    SFGate.com has a great set of photos of Jobs going back to the early Apple days. (Aside - interesting to see the Apple II in light of today's products - you can almost see the curves and bezels of the iPad in the Apple II's shape!)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...Jobs.DTL&tsp=1

Striking to see Steve grow gaunter in just the last few years. I also didn't realize the black turtleneck was of such recent vintage - I'd forgotten about the bow ties!
  • Reply 95 of 329
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    What an undeniable force in the industry. I will truly miss seeing Steve Jobs keynotes. Nothing else compares.
  • Reply 96 of 329
    I hoped that this day was not close. Thanks, Steve, for all that you've done to change our world and for inspiring me. I know that Apple is in good hands.

I wish you good health as you go forward in a new role at Apple.
  • Reply 97 of 329
    The man's not dead yet. Some of your comment make it sound like he's already gone.

Is this good news for Apple? Obviously not. But the fact is Steve's been letting go of the reigns for a while now and Apple just continues to excel.

I wish Steve well and I hope this move affords him the luxury of focussing on himself and his family for a change.
  • Reply 98 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

That man means too much to technology. We need him like we needed Walt Disney. Few and far between as such brilliant and amazing men.

-NUM

Interesting, I was thinking of the Walt Disney analogy myself. Looking of photos of Jobs at the Cupertino City Council event in June (the new HQ), I almost had a sense of someone trying hard to accomplish as much as possible of his vision, while he still could.
  • Reply 99 of 329
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    C'mon, guys. Some of you sound as if he is on his death bed already.

My mom had cancer surgery back in 2005. She is fine and cancer never came back, but she also never recovered her full stamina she had pre-op. I'm guessing all the radiation and chemo leave some traces. She does everything she did before, but she tires faster than before.

So there might be nothing wrong with SJ, except that he is not 30 or 40 any more, and he is post- surgery and post therapy... so he is not in his best form and leading company like Apple requires your best.

Back to the topic... never was SJ's fan and never agreed with number of his views, but always respected the man. Can't think of anyone else who could do what he did with Apple. So I wish him less work and more fun, and good, long and healthy retirement.
  • Reply 100 of 329
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That may have been part of the succession plan even agreed to months ago however once the circumstance has actually come to pass, the board would reconvene and finalize the vote. I'm happy that there was no apparent advanced knowledge of his decision, hence no leaks or insider trading.

I suspect you are right, and this was the other implication of the announcement. The succession was probably all but done six months ago, which makes me wonder yet again why it took so long.