Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 181 of 329
    go4d1go4d1 Posts: 34member
    Albert Einstein - on his dying bed asked, "Bring me a pencil and paper please. I want to calculate."

SJ is in the same mold.
  • Reply 182 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, Tim's most difficult challange will be relinquishing some of his [detail] duties to assume the broader role/vision of CEO.

I don't know if he has any supply-chain experience... But Eddie Cue, has a no nonsense reputation for getting done, that which needs to be done.

Cook = experience. IBM was his training ground. I'm not worried at all. He's been increible and will only grow into a larger challenge.
  • Reply 183 of 329
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corporate View Post

Hopefully by him staying on as Chairman of the Board he will have all the say he wants in what ever he wants that has to do with Apple. I know Tim Cook will be a good CEO, but I hope that if he wants to do something and Steve tells him something else, he goes with Steve's decision

For everybody saying that Apple will do fine under Cook and without Steve, do you think it will be important that Cook be allowed to make his own decisions instead of living under Steve's shadow?

Furthermore, who thinks Cook is going to be a complete clone of Steve? Is Cook going to think 100 percent the same as Steve? Will Cook make all the same decisions that Steve would have made under the same circumstances?

This will be an interesting time for Apple fanboys. What happens if Cook as CEO makes a decision that Steve would not have made, or if he reverses one of Steve's previous decisions, and it ends up being successful for Apple? The Apple haters will probably say "Good riddance to Steve". How will Apple fanboys handle the apparent contradiction?
  • Reply 184 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgj View Post

i can think of only four words i would send to mr. Jobs...

Thank you, for everything.

+++qft
  • Reply 185 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

For everybody saying that Apple will do fine under Cook and without Steve, do you think it will be important that Cook be allowed to make his own decisions instead of living under Steve's shadow?

Furthermore, who thinks Cook is going to be a complete clone of Steve? Is Cook going to think 100 percent the same as Steve? Will Cook make all the same decisions that Steve would have made under the same circumstances?

This will be an interesting time for Apple fanboys. What happens if Cook as CEO makes a decision that Steve would not have made, or if he reverses one of Steve's previous decisions, and it ends up being successful for Apple? The Apple haters will probably say "Good riddance to Steve". How will Apple fanboys handle the apparent contradiction?

The day-to-day vision will be provided by Tim. He will mold Apple in his own vision.

It is a tribute to Steve that he has picked a strong individual to follow him.

The greatest gift is knowiing what, and when to let go -- as parents we all face that challange.
  • Reply 186 of 329
    OMG, Can't believe this...

Surely going to miss you man...

Charles
  • Reply 187 of 329
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    First I would like to thank you for your innovative judgement and being a visionary.

You have not only created an IPOD, IPHONE, and IPAD but also have created love and admiration of all the consumers of APPLE products .

I as well as many others trust in your judgement and we all wish you well. And we want to let you know that you have done something for society that merits among the great people of all times.

Hopefully your new roll and health will go on for a long time.

THANK YOU!
  • Reply 188 of 329
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Really? The man is sick and you have to act like this is good news? Never come on here talking about one of your loved ones being sick or dying. I'm apt to throw a party.

And now you BOTH are jerks.
  • Reply 189 of 329
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... The greatest gift is knowiing what, and when to let go -- as parents we all face that challange.

Write a book, Dick, write a book! \

I too believe that Tim Cook is and will be, a fantastic CEO.

Get well Steve!
  • Reply 190 of 329
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Awesome stuff Steve has done or been in charge of the people doing:

Apple II (face it, Woz wanted to give the plans away for free; Steve marketed the thing)

Lisa (yes, it was awesome.)

Mac 128k

NeXT (first Internet computer and foundation for OS X has to count for something)

Pixar from inception to Monsters, Inc. (bought it from Lucasfilm; filled it with people with vision)

Apple since '96 (Ive was designing toilets before Apple. I'd like to have seen his work, but he was better utilized at Apple )

Industry milestones:

Birth of the personal computer

Definition of 'personal computer'

Definition of 'mobile computer'

Redefinition of 'modern OS'

Redefinition of 'personal media player'

Redefinition of 'phone'

Redefinition of 'tablet computer'

Death of his original definition of 'personal computer'
  • Reply 191 of 329
    God Bless and Good Luck!

Thanks for everything Steve.
  • Reply 192 of 329
    Thanks and best to you, Steve.

You've definitely made it interesting.
  • Reply 193 of 329
    Like everything else with Apple, I think this was a calculated announcement. The stage is set for Apple to end the year on an incredible high, all under the helm of Cook. This will propel him to the status of a great successor for Jobs.
  • Reply 194 of 329
  • Reply 195 of 329
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Steve, thanks for pushing forward technology to the point where it is today. Without you, your vision, and the rest of the Apple employees, technology would not be anywhere close to where it is today. Take care of yourself and know that we are incredibly thankful for your contributions.
  • Reply 196 of 329
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    That's always the best way to leave a company - on a high note. He'll be missed and always remembered as the most genius marketer of our time. Turning Apple around in their darkest days from a company that Michael Dell said should be folded up to the most valuable company in the world. Pure genius.

Thank you Mr. Jobs for keeping innovation alive in the U.S.A. God bless!
  • Reply 197 of 329
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I wish you the best in your new role at Apple as Chairman & Director. You are the Most Innovative Designer of my time. iWish you & your family good health & joy! You'll definitely be missed!
  • Reply 198 of 329
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This move is long overdue. But how could he not know if the board wants him to stay on as chair? That part of this announcement strikes me as very strange indeed.

It's called "class"..... Once Steve resigned it was not his decision to make, so he asked the board, which was the proper thing to do, even if it was "a given" .... not surprising, because Apple has "shown the way" in a lot of areas ... and that lead comes straight from Steve.

On a personal note, I never had the opportunity to meet Steve Jobs, but I've watched so many hours of video of him, read so many books about him, I feel like he is a personal friend.

Steve, I wish you all the happiness and good health that you so truly deserve. Your contribution to my world ... and to many like me .... has been enormous. All of us should be lucky enough to make the same kind of positive impact on even a few people in our lives. My wish for me ..... is to soon hear about the improving health of Steve Jobs. Peace, my friend.
  • Reply 199 of 329
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't buy the humility argument.

Why? .... Does the concept of humility escape your grasp?
  • Reply 200 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Awesome stuff Steve has done or been in charge of the people doing:

Apple II (face it, Woz wanted to give the plans away for free; Steve marketed the thing)

Lisa (yes, it was awesome.)

Mac 128k

NeXT (first Internet computer and foundation for OS X has to count for something)

Pixar from inception to Monsters, Inc. (bought it from Lucasfilm; filled it with people with vision)

Apple since '96 (Ive was designing toilets before Apple. I'd like to have seen his work, but he was better utilized at Apple )

Industry milestones:

Birth of the personal computer

Definition of 'personal computer'

Definition of 'mobile computer'

Redefinition of 'modern OS'

Redefinition of 'personal media player'

Redefinition of 'phone'

Redefinition of 'tablet computer'

Death of his original definition of 'personal computer'

Great post!