New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following his ascension to the role of Apple CEO, Tim Cook on Thursday sent out a company-wide e-mail assuring employees that nothing will change at Apple.

The four-paragraph note from Cook, obtained by Ars Technica, aims to address any concerns that employees might have about the transition. "I want you to be confident that Apple is not going to change," the new CEO wrote.

He said that the company built by the leaving chief executive, Steve Jobs, has a "culture that is unlike any in the world." He promised that Apple will "stay true to that," because it's in the company's DNA.

"I am confident our best years lie ahead of us and that together we will continue to make Apple the magical place that it is," Cook wrote.

The new CEO has been with Apple and worked with Jobs for over 13 years. He is widely regarded as an operational genius who may lack the charisma and vision of Jobs, but many believe can keep the company headed in the right direction.

Analysts on Wall Street also have few concerns about Apple in the short-term with Cook at the helm. They view the transition as a change years in the making, with Apple's deep bench of executives groomed for a new era without Jobs as CEO.

The full text of Cook's email to Apple employees is included below:

Team:

I am looking forward to the amazing opportunity of serving as CEO of the most innovative company in the world. Joining Apple was the best decision I've ever made and it's been the privilege of a lifetime to work for Apple and Steve for over 13 years. I share Steve's optimism for Apple's bright future.

Steve has been an incredible leader and mentor to me, as well as to the entire executive team and our amazing employees. We are really looking forward to Steve's ongoing guidance and inspiration as our Chairman.

I want you to be confident that Apple is not going to change. I cherish and celebrate Apple's unique principles and values. Steve built a company and culture that is unlike any other in the world and we are going to stay true to that?it is in our DNA. We are going to continue to make the best products in the world that delight our customers and make our employees incredibly proud of what they do.

I love Apple and I am looking forward to diving into my new role. All of the incredible support from the Board, the executive team and many of you has been inspiring. I am confident our best years lie ahead of us and that together we will continue to make Apple the magical place that it is.

Tim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    I wonder who will be COO?
  • Reply 3 of 146
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thermaikos View Post

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios

UPS-style facial hair policy?
  • Reply 4 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Great timing Ireland. I bought €20,000 AAPL two days ago.

Gonna hold them for about 2 years or less.
  • Reply 5 of 146
    I wish Tim Cook the best and hope that Steve remains in an active role, I just love to hear what Steve has say. He is one of my heroes.
  • Reply 6 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post

UPS-style facial hair policy?

Not many grown up men with real jobs have beards or moustaches.
  • Reply 7 of 146
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    I'm expecting the iPhone 5 to knock it out of the park. Because Tim Cook now has to prove that the post-Jobs Apple is a fighter.
  • Reply 8 of 146
    I wonder if Mr. Cook will inherit the same salary as Jobs
  • Reply 9 of 146
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

I hope not, for his sake.
  • Reply 10 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That's an interesting thought. I would like to see him make that commitment.
  • Reply 11 of 146
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not necessary. The only reason Jobs asked for a $1 salary was because he became CEO when Apple was near death.

I'd like to see Tim Cook receive a compensation package that rewards him according to Apple's performance under his leadership.
  • Reply 12 of 146
    Quote:

Why? Steve owns lots and lots of stock compared to Tim. He made his money from stock appreciation. I hope the Board gives Tim plenty of restricted stock to keep him at Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In a way, he has made that kind of commitment to Apple.

These people are rewarded based on the company's performance and their stock options.

There were rumors that headhunters were soliciting Tim Cook for the likes of General Motors, etc.

Finally, what would be the correct salary for someone like Tim. High 6-figures? Low to mid 7-figures?

At that level, salary is more about bragging rights than remuneration.

I doubt that is what motivates Tim.
  • Reply 14 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Great timing Ireland. I bought ?20,000 AAPL two days ago.

Gonna hold them for about 2 years or less.

Just curious: What's going to cause you to sell in two years or less?
  • Reply 15 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I'd like to see Tim Cook receive a compensation package that rewards him according to Apple's performance under his leadership.

Hence the $1 salary. You really think Jobs wasn't compensated for his effort at Apple?
  • Reply 16 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Typical reason -- He'll need money to buy a new Mac and ice cream
  • Reply 17 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Not necessary. The only reason Jobs asked for a $1 salary was because he became CEO when Apple was near death.

I agree.
  • Reply 18 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

His prediction that Apple introduces a TV will have come true, following which the stock will have zoomed, then hitting a plateau. He figures that'll be a good time to sell, since there is no other part of one's household left for Apple to own.

Me, I'll hold out for the car as the last front following the living room.......
  • Reply 19 of 146
    Just one word of advice, Tim:

Don't bring back the Performa line.
  • Reply 20 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

His prediction that Apple introduces a TV will have come true, following which the stock will have zoomed, then hitting a plateau. He figures that'll be a good time to sell, since there is no other part of one's household left for Apple to own.

Me, I'll hold out for the car as the last front following the living room.......

Last front??!!

Apple will soon be introducing the iFridge, the iStove, the iVacuum (Dyson... your days are numbered) and the IBed (don't even go there).