Just one word of advice, Tim:

Don't bring back the Performa line.

Mmm... I rather liked this model:

• Reply 22 of 146
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I wonder who will be COO?

For now at least, it appears as Jeff Williams is still holding his position as SVP for Operations, since he previously reported directly to Cook, the chances are that he will be Apple's next COO.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/jeff-williams.html
  • Reply 23 of 146
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Tim you're gonna do great! Best wishes!
  • Reply 24 of 146
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member
    The true and real talent of Steve Jobs is that he is not the ONLY person created Apple, but he is also the greatest person who is able to pass his torch to his team to carry forward. I think this is most difficult thing to do. Steve Jobs is doing it right now. He is letting his role go and keeps watching his Apple enterring to a new era!
  • Reply 25 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm... I rather liked this model:

Whoa, a black Apple ][? Is it just custom painted or is it some sort of custom TV-style model like the Macintosh TV?

Edit: Oh, wait, look, there's an image name. Googling… huh, neat. I was sort of right.
  • Reply 26 of 146
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I wonder who will be COO?

I've been wondering the same thing...We'll see.
  • Reply 27 of 146
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The real question who is left in charge of technical and product visionary decisions, remember no product shipped unless Steve liked it. My only concern is you could have a punch of people at Apple trying to make a name for themselves and they will all push ideas to the top and Cock will not be sure which one to pick and let them all go, this is what killed Apple in the 90's too many "great" ideas so the person pitching the idea though and they went with them all. i.e. the performa comment from above.

As long as the keep the product offering simple, and only one person gets to decide which product ships and the stay away from trying to sell to the feature check list buyer, apple should be fine.
  • Reply 28 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

For now at least, it appears as Jeff Williams is still holding his position as SVP for Operations, since he previously reported directly to Cook, the chances are that he will be Apple's next COO.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/jeff-williams.html

Hmm... According to the link, Williams reported to the CEO -- that would have been Steve, not Tim.

Has anyone seen a fairly recent Apple Org chart?

Back when I was dealing with Apple (1978-1989) they used a concept called matrix management -- where the person you worked for was not, necessarily, your boss.

My corporate experience was: your boss (and the one you had to please) was whoever held your PA card (Payroll Authorization).
  • Reply 29 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

...a punch of people at apple trying to make a name for themselves and they will all push ideas to the top and Cock will not be..

Ah, Lion autocorrect. How we hate you.
  • Reply 30 of 146
    Before he stepped down, Steve gave Tim Cook the "book of ideas" the way Frodo gave Sam the book at the end of The Return of the King. Then said with a grin...there is room for more.
  • Reply 31 of 146
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Not necessary. The only reason Jobs asked for a $1 salary was because he became CEO when Apple was near death.

I'd like to see Tim Cook receive a compensation package that rewards him according to Apple's performance under his leadership.

I believe Cook has already received $59 million worth of stock options for his performance replacing Jobs this year.
  • Reply 32 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoa, a black Apple ][? Is it just custom painted or is it some sort of custom TV-style model like the Macintosh TV?

Edit: Oh, wait, look, there's an image name. Googling… huh, neat. I was sort of right.

The black color was molded in the plastic case (expensive) -- it was not painted on. The Floppy Drives were painted.

It was a custom "Education Model" made for, and sold by Bell & Howell. B&H was big in education back then -- every school had several B&H Film Players (Projectors).

This really pissed off the Apple Dealers (including us) as it trumped our opportunity to sell to schools.

It was abandoned after a year or so.

Somewhere, in storage, I have a printer's type drawer that I had hanging on the wall. It was filled with all sorts of Apple memorabilia -- Lisa and Apple Pins, Apple Thermal Printer print head, colored cables that inspired the colored Apple Logo... and a few black keys from a B&H Apple ][ kb.
  • Reply 33 of 146
    Interesting that his message contains "amazing" (twice) and "magical." Evidence that Tim has truly got Steve's DNA.

I think Steve has done a masterful job of orchestrating a phased withdrawal from the scene. With each successive announcement, leave of absence, medical procedure, and Tim Cook stand-in, the world has gotten inoculated against the shock of his eventual complete departure from the company. Through this process much if not most of the stock drop has already been slowly built in to Apple's price. Careful, methodical, forward-thinking. Very Steve.

I hope for many more years of his influence and guidance over his company.

Thanks for all you've done so far, Steve.
  • Reply 34 of 146
    Shouldn't the CEO of the most valuable company on Earth have better grammar than this?

Our best years lay ahead.
  • Reply 35 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

...a punch of people at Apple trying to make a name for themselves and they will all push ideas to the top and Cock will not be...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, Lion autocorrect. How we hate you.

I think that Steve is forcing us to learn a new language for our own good...

Either that, or he is forcing us to abandon keyboards for our own good!

I am going crazier, moving (typing/spelling/scrolling) among Lion, SNL, iOS 4 and iOS 5.

Just Stoppit!
  • Reply 36 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Shouldn't the CEO of the most valuable company on Earth have better grammar than this?

Lay is the past tense of lie, so?
  • Reply 37 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You can still correct it, y'know....
  • Reply 38 of 146
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not many grown up men with real jobs have beards or moustaches.

++ 'cept Steve...
  • Reply 39 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Last front??!!

Apple will soon be introducing the iFridge, the iStove, the iVacuum (Dyson... your days are numbered) and the IBed (don't even go there).

Heh heh. What then? The iToilet?

I'll have got out by then (anyway, with the kids' college coming up in a few years, I'll have some major liquidity needs that'll force some selling.......)
  • Reply 40 of 146
    AAPL is down about 1.13% and steady, in a down market -- the volume seems low.

That's much better than I thought.

I believe that this announcement was timed and executed with perfection -- exactly what I would expect from Apple.