New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AAPL is down about 1.13% and steady, in a down market -- the volume seems low.

That's much better than I hoped.

I believe that this announcement was timed and executed with perfection -- exactly what I would expect from Apple.

I honestly believe -- and am comfortable enough with my valuation of Apple's non-cash operations to say that -- those who sold today at the start of the day, and more important, those that will on that inevitable day, will probably regret it.

That's, of course, only one data point.
  • Reply 42 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It is kind of remarkable, when you think about it.

For years there has been speculation that Apple would suffer a mortal blow when Steve stepped down, if not in quality of products delivered at least in valuation.

Yet here we are on the fateful day after and Apple's stock is pretty much just tracking with the market. Not to mention that we're likely on the cusp of another round of great products that will set sales on fire.....
  • Reply 43 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Shouldn't the CEO of the most valuable company on Earth have better grammar than this?

Our best years lay ahead.

And it's repeated in the title of the article... Has AppleInsider noticed? I certainly believe this error does not diminish the professionalism of Mr. Cook, but knowing the Apple-haters..
  • Reply 44 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lay is the past tense of lie, so?

It's also a different verb.

But apparently, I'm wrong. No wonder I'm not a CEO.
  • Reply 45 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ungenio View Post

And it's repeated in the title of the article... Has AppleInsider noticed? I certainly believe this error does not diminish the professionalism of Mr. Cook, but knowing the Apple-haters..

Stop. You really need to figure out the difference between 'lie' and 'lay.'
  • Reply 46 of 146
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I honestly believe -- and am comfortable enough with my valuation of Apple's non-cash operations to say that -- those who sold today at the start of the day, and more important, those that will on that inevitable day, will probably regret it.

That's, of course, only one data point.

The only regret I have is not having any more money lying around to get more AAPL. I'm happy with my current holdings and I'm in it for the long run, but even I saw the buying opportunity.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    Quote:

..." I haven't been weighed in a week -- and I feew wousy"...

Ha! Take that, auto-corrector!
  • Reply 48 of 146
    tenzotenzo Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The only regret I have is not having any more money lying around to get more AAPL. I'm happy with my current holdings and I'm in it for the long run, but even I saw the buying opportunity.

Agreed. Had my finances been there, I would of bought aapl every time it went down to the 350's.

But my current holdings will keep me happy for the time being.

Honestly, aapl is the only holding in my portfolio that is doing very very well.

Crazy market conditions!!!
  • Reply 49 of 146
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Generally I find your postings insightful or interesting but I have to shake my head at this one. Are you actually saying you have never worked with somebody with a beard or moustache?

Mind you I've never sported either, however it is not something that is an unknown.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not many grown up men with real jobs have beards or moustaches.

• Reply 50 of 146
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hmm... According to the link, Williams reported to the CEO -- that would have been Steve, not Tim.

Well, mainly because Tim Cook is now the CEO. They have updated his page since this morning.

Edit: Using Way Back Machine, a cached version shows Jeff as reporting to the COO. http://web.archive.org/web/201012202...fwilliams.html
  • Reply 51 of 146
    Quote:

Heh heh. What then? The iToilet?

I'll have got out by then (anyway, with the kids' college coming up in a few years, I'll have some major liquidity needs that'll force some selling.......)

Actually... the iToilet will be the product that changes people's lives the most. It will automatically analyze any incoming product and send the information directly to your iPad X. It will revolutionize the medical establishment.
  • Reply 52 of 146
    tenzotenzo Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Generally I find your postings insightful or interesting but I have to shake my head at this one. Are you actually saying you have never worked with somebody with a beard or moustache?

Mind you I've never sported either, however it is not something that is an unknown.

I find it more strange to work with a ceo who wears black turtle necks, jeans, and sneakers.
  • Reply 53 of 146
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not many grown up men with real jobs have beards or moustaches.

Spoken by someone who obviously doesn't work in the fields of software or research science!
  • Reply 54 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Not necessary. The only reason Jobs asked for a $1 salary was because he became CEO when Apple was near death.

I'd like to see Tim Cook receive a compensation package that rewards him according to Apple's performance under his leadership.

Nah, the $1 salary was a tax maneuver.

Steve already rakes in $30 million annually in Disney dividends.

He really doesn't need a token salary. He'd mostly chew it up on income taxes and FICA/FICAMED (the latter which he'd never recover) plus Apple Inc. would have to kick in the employer portion for the latter. Stock option grants are a better way to compensate Steve. Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than wages.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Shouldn't that be "laying"?

j/k
  • Reply 56 of 146
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It is kind of remarkable, when you think about it.

For years there has been speculation that Apple would suffer a mortal blow when Steve stepped down, if not in quality of products delivered at least in valuation.

Yet here we are on the fateful day after and Apple's stock is pretty much just tracking with the market. Not to mention that we're likely on the cusp of another round of great products that will set sales on fire.....

No. The market has already priced in the SJ effect. The current AAPL price is a fare price w/o SJ.
  • Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

I wonder if Mr. Cook will inherit the same salary as Jobs

Every cloudy day has a single green back. That just made my day.
  • Reply 58 of 146
    Quote:

It easy. I lie to get laid.
  • Reply 59 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

No. The market has already priced in the SJ effect. The current AAPL price is a fare price w/o SJ.

No, Apple has been artificially pushed down for the past six months due to Steve's leave of absence. It should have been $400 a share in May.
  • Reply 60 of 146
    "The current AAPL price is a fare price w/o SJ"

It'll go lower. Cook has been doing a mediocre job at best since taking over as acting CEO:

Iphone5 launch - delayed repeatedly

Ipad3 - have to wait till next year

Cheaper Iphone - still the 3GS no improvement

MacBooks - supply still constrained for the new models