New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

"The current AAPL price is a fare price w/o SJ"

It'll go lower. Cook has been doing a mediocre job at best since taking over as acting CEO:

Iphone5 launch - delayed repeatedly

Ipad3 - have to wait till next year

Cheaper Iphone - still the 3GS no improvement

MacBooks - supply still constrained for the new models

Where do these asshats come from?
  • Reply 62 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm... I rather liked this model:

thats an Apple II not a performa.

oopsl, just read your second post. sorry!
  • Reply 63 of 146
    Quote:

Prove how you know this. Do it.

Quote:

What's that? The product that has a one year release cycle is going to be released one year after the previous model which was released one year after the first model?

HOW SH… okay, forget it. My normal approach is useless here; this guy's a complete…

Quote:

Probably because it's the best selling phone on the planet right now.

Quote:

Instead of whining, maybe we should give you a soldering iron and put you to work on this stuff. With any luck, you'll solder your fingers together so you can't type this nonsense anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

thats an Apple II not a performa.

"How many megs of RAM, Carmine?" "EIGHT!"
  • Reply 64 of 146

Is it only me or does Mr. Cook remind you of Jar Jar Binks? It's probably just me \
  • Reply 65 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Is it only me or does Mr. Cook remind you of Jar Jar Binks? It's probably just me \

Meesa tinkin' yousa been poppin' on da goober juice las' night, okee-day?
  • Reply 66 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

It'll go lower. Cook has been doing a mediocre job at best since taking over as acting CEO:

Are you possibly being sarcastic? I ask, because in an earlier post in another thread, in response to a poster claiming that Cook was botching the supply chain management, you said:

Quote:

I think it's more the issue of the suppliers not being able to produce enough components for the latest device because of the earthquake. It's not like Tim can predict that.

I mean, besides the Galaxy II, which still isn't seen anywhere in US, there's really very little progress in terms of smartphone hardware anyway, and that's because of the same issue.

• Reply 67 of 146
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Lots of chuckles, gentle ribbing and good humor on this thread today. Rather like having a seat for the roast at Steve's retirement party. Performa ... Jar Jar Binks ... really!

But of all the comments so far, I like this the best ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theoneaboveall View Post

Before he stepped down, Steve gave Tim Cook the "book of ideas" the way Frodo gave Sam the book at the end of The Return of the King. Then said with a grin...there is room for more.

• Reply 68 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Shouldn't the CEO of the most valuable company on Earth have better grammar than this?

Our best years lay ahead.

you showed him! poor steve, what a failure...
  • Reply 69 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Well, mainly because Tim Cook is now the CEO. They have updated his page since this morning.

Edit: Using Way Back Machine, a cached version shows Jeff as reporting to the COO. http://web.archive.org/web/201012202...fwilliams.html

Great memory!

This is fantastic news because it means that:

1) this succession was meticulously planned and executed.

2) both Steve's and Tim's successors have been groomed for their present positions.

3) Tim can more easily relinquish COO duties -- as he must.

You have the cool, clear

Eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth;

Yet there's that upturned chin

And that grin of impetuous youth.

Oh, I believe in you.

I believe in you.

I hear the sound of good, solid judgment

Whenever you talk;

Yet there's the bold, brave spring of the tiger

That quickens your walk.

Oh, I believe in you.

I believe in you.

And when my faith in my fellow man

All but falls apart,

I've but to feel your hand grasping mine

And I take heart; I take heart

To see the cool, clear

Eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth;

Yet, with the slam-bang tang

Reminiscent of gin and vermouth.

Oh, I believe in you.

I believe in you.
  • Reply 70 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

no. he reminds me of robert englund

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/G...rt-Englund.jpg
  • Reply 71 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    [QUOTE=screamingfist;1929046]no. he reminds me of robert englund.

Well, that would put a whole new twist on the keynotes.... "Don't fall asleep! Don't fall asleep!"
  • Reply 72 of 146
    [QUOTE=addabox;1929049]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

no. he reminds me of robert englund.

Well, that would put a whole new twist on the keynotes.... "Don't fall asleep! Don't fall asleep!"

poor programmers at apple, they thought steve was bad...(JK)
  • Reply 73 of 146
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not many grown up men with real jobs have beards or moustaches.

Yeah, lots of people who aren't manly enough to grow a beard say that.... :roll eyes:

That is, of course, an absurd statement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The black color was molded in the plastic case (expensive) -- it was not painted on.

It may have been expensive due to low volume, but there's nothing inherently expensive about including a pigment in a molded plastic part. Heck, they add pigment to toys in McDonalds happy meals - which are pennies each.
  • Reply 74 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenzo View Post

I find it more strange to work with a ceo who wears black turtle necks, jeans, and sneakers.

It wasn't that long ago, ca 1970, when women were first permitted to wear pants in the office -- instead of a dress or a business suit - skirt and coat,

When I met my wife, Lucy, in 1963 she was apartment-hunting in Pomona, CA -- wearing heels a hat, gloves and a business suit -- deemed proper attire.
  • Reply 75 of 146
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thermaikos View Post

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios

That's strange... Ron Johnson still listed?
  • Reply 76 of 146
    Quote:

HUH? How in the world would you know that the iPhone5 or iPad3 were delayed? I find it much more likely that their scheduled release times are precisely when they'll be released.

In regards to the cheaper iPhone - why? Why would Apple divert resources or production capacity to a cheaper product?

Last, the MacBooks. Supply is tight. That's a good thing. Part of Apple's marketing strategy is to create a sense of demand. Would you rather they waited another 3 months to release so they could have additional supply?

Finally, Cook's job isn't just to manage inventory, but also production cost. He's been instrumental in lowering operating and manufacturing costs, which drives profit and satisfies shareholders.

Please refrain from commenting about things you clearly know little about. Or at least, if you do, say that it's your opinion.

PS - you misspelled several words, had you been using a Mac running Lion, the spell check would have auto-corrected those.
  • Reply 77 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's strange... Ron Johnson still listed?

Noticed that too. Perhaps the team managing the PR pages doesn't have bandwidth? Or, maybe their waiting until a replacement is in place.

In my opinion, replacing Ron will be one of Cook's first tests. I see it much more possible that hiring the wrong retail leader ripples through Apple Stores to cause tangible changes for the consumer experience than it's possible Cook disrupts the product line or corporate strategy.
  • Reply 78 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah, lots of people who aren't manly enough to grow a beard say that.... :roll eyes:

That is, of course, an absurd statement.

It may have been expensive due to low volume, but there's nothing inherently expensive about including a pigment in a molded plastic part. Heck, they add pigment to toys in McDonalds happy meals - which are pennies each.

Yes! Expensive due to low volume. When the Apple ][ was first introduced it was the only major computer with a plastic case. People ridiculed it -- ha, ha, a plastic computer.

But. the molds for the case cost several thousands of dollars -- a commitment to a large production run.

The competition (later, Including IBM), used metal cases.

It was thought that the metal cases were more macho, more serious-business. When, actually, they were just easier and cheaper to manufacture.

As to the beard and mustache -- I wore both when we owned the computer stores in the 1980s. We did business with many fortune 500 companies. To my knowledge, it never was an issue.
  • Reply 79 of 146
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Not necessary. The only reason Jobs asked for a $1 salary was because he became CEO when Apple was near death.

I'd like to see Tim Cook receive a compensation package that rewards him according to Apple's performance under his leadership.

Correction, while partially true the other reason was PIXAR already had their IPO and with 80% of the stock ownership he was already worth several billion.
  • Reply 80 of 146
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted