New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 146
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

"The current AAPL price is a fare price w/o SJ"

It'll go lower. Cook has been doing a mediocre job at best since taking over as acting CEO:

Iphone5 launch - delayed repeatedly

Ipad3 - have to wait till next year

Cheaper Iphone - still the 3GS no improvement

MacBooks - supply still constrained for the new models

The price is nearly the close of yesterday, before the announcement. Don't quit your day job.
  • Reply 82 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Correction, while partially true the other reason was PIXAR already had their IPO and with 80% of the stock ownership he was already worth several billion.

AIR, Apple had money, but was out of ideas/vision.

The one exception, AIR, was the iMac which was developed before Steve's return -- but released after he took control.
  • Reply 83 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Interesting that his message contains "amazing" (twice) and "magical." Evidence that Tim has truly got Steve's DNA.

Also "incredible" three times!
  • Reply 84 of 146
  • Reply 85 of 146
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, Lion autocorrect. How we hate you.

The Simsons will have to update their sketch about Newton to Lion's spooling arrears if Apple don't flex it swoon. My own mother thinks my emails are now in a forging sandwich.
  • Reply 86 of 146
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Is it only me or does Mr. Cook remind you of Jar Jar Binks? It's probably just me \

Hank Haney

• Reply 87 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AAPL is down about 1.13% and steady, in a down market -- the volume seems low.

That's much better than I thought.

I believe that this announcement was timed and executed with perfection -- exactly what I would expect from Apple.

Me too, it was superbly handled and all the news is upbeat form the media I've seen. I had argued recently that the market had already discounted SJ's situation and only the uninformed would sell off if he stepped down. Seems this was indeed the case. Hopefully we will resume the steady climb.
  • Reply 88 of 146
    Quote:

A good read (via Gruber):

New Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm Thinking Printers'

Brilliant.
  • Reply 89 of 146
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:

Not so much. As humor goes--C minus. They've done much better. The situation is ripe for great humor, but this wasn't it.
  • Reply 90 of 146
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

"The current AAPL price is a fare price w/o SJ"

It'll go lower. Cook has been doing a mediocre job at best since taking over as acting CEO:

Iphone5 launch - delayed repeatedly

Ipad3 - have to wait till next year

Oh sure. What a terrible mistake it is to release only one new version of iPad per year and shipping only tens of millions of them. In fact, we have to wait till 2013 for iPad 4 (you heard it from me first!). Cook sure is a f***-up.

Quote:

Cheaper Iphone - still the 3GS no improvement

A 27-month old product that is also the second best selling smartphone model in the US. Another f***-up by Cook.

Quote:

MacBooks - supply still constrained for the new models

Cook would be praised so much more if there were scores of Macbooks and Airs sitting on the shelves waiting to be purchased. That is infinitely superior to having people line up day after day for their products.

I am guessing Motorola, Samsung, HP and Dell would die to have such a mediocre CEO.
  • Reply 91 of 146
    Quote:

Via Gruber? Should have linked directly to The Onion. Gruber makes too much grub by linking to others.
  • Reply 92 of 146
    Quote:

Correction, while partially true the other reason was PIXAR already had their IPO and with 80% of the stock ownership he was already worth several billion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, the $1 salary was a tax maneuver.

Steve already rakes in $30 million annually in Disney dividends.

He really doesn't need a token salary. He'd mostly chew it up on income taxes and FICA/FICAMED (the latter which he'd never recover) plus Apple Inc. would have to kick in the employer portion for the latter. Stock option grants are a better way to compensate Steve. Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than wages.

No matter how you look at it, it is interesting that, while he is quite wealthy, Steve Jobs has never ever cracked into the list of the top 10 wealthiest dudes in the world. In fact, has he ever ranked above the 50th spot? Last year, his net worth was estimated to be $5.5B. That is rich by any standard except when compared to the market cap of Apple.

Gates, Ballmer, Allen, Ellison, Page, Schmidt, Brin and many other Silicon Valley tycoons are significantly wealthier. With the exception of Gates, no individual has been credited more with their success of their companies. If Jobs had cared, I am sure the Apple board would have rewarded him much, much more.
  • Reply 93 of 146
    One of my main concerns is what will Apple do whenever Steve passes (hopefully not for a very long time) and they run through everything in his idea book? Who will come up with next big One More Thing then? Who will keep innovating and pushing for new ideas and demanding near perfection? I worry they will slowly fall back to 1997 and become just another tech company.
  • Reply 94 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Via Gruber? Should have linked directly to The Onion. Gruber makes too much grub by linking to others.

I did... follow the link!

I don't normally follow the Onion, but I saw a link on Gruber... that's all!
  • Reply 95 of 146
    Here's another good read (via Paczkowski):

Does Tim Cook Need His Own Tim Cook?
  • Reply 96 of 146
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

AIR, Apple had money, but was out of ideas/vision.

The one exception, AIR, was the iMac which was developed before Steve's return -- but released after he took control.

What the hell are you talking about regarding the AIR and my talking about PIXAR already public making Steve a Billionaire?

Since you mention the AIR having been at Apple you're full of it. The day the iMac was released at DeAngelo College where the entire corporation was told to drive over to with out security badges on not a single person in the place yelled, ``That's just the AIR!''
  • Reply 97 of 146
    Quote:

What the hell are you talking about regarding the AIR and my talking about PIXAR already public making Steve a Billionaire?

Since you mention the AIR having been at Apple you're full of it. The day the iMac was released at DeAngelo College where the entire corporation was told to drive over to with out security badges on not a single person in the place yelled, ``That's just the AIR!''

AIR... As I Recall...
  • Reply 98 of 146
    I need to update my records. What's Tim Cook's e-mail address?
  • Reply 99 of 146
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Why? Steve owns lots and lots of stock compared to Tim. He made his money from stock appreciation. I hope the Board gives Tim plenty of restricted stock to keep him at Apple.

To keep him? Where else would he rather be? Dell? HP? Palm?

Heck, he should pay them to keep him there, that is the dream chair for any ambitious CEO
  • Reply 100 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just one word of advice, Tim:

Don't bring back the Performa line.

Or Michael Spindler

No seriously, as long as Apple is lead by people who remember where Apple was in 1996 and understood how Apple got to that place, the company should continue down the right path. The forces that brought Apple to it's knees in 1996 are endemic to any large organization and hopefully Apple's current culture and leadership will be able to keep those forces at bay.