Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 281 of 329
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tim Dragon View Post

Everyone knows the true reason why Steve Jobs resigned. Apple cannot compete with dedicated handheld gaming devices. What Apple fans are not familiar with is that Steve Jobs was an employee of Atari and received his business training from Atari?s main investor. The Apple II was designed around the video game ?Break-Out? which Wozniak essentially designed. Video games created the personal computer, not the other way around. In the same way, handheld video games created the handheld computers, not the other way around. And despite Steve Jobs?s origins in gaming, his success in media only comes from old media such as movies (Pixar) to music (iPod). Steve Jobs has had the same exact effect on video games as Bill Gates: none. Aside from providing computer hardware that can also play video games, the nature of video games has been unchanged and uninfluenced by Jobs.

It is wise for Steve Jobs to exit his role in the company now when it is clear that he has failed for the second time (the first time was in home game consoles, the second was handheld game consoles) to take over gaming. Steve Jobs has failed to surpass his original employer, Nolan Bushnell, in influence over video games.

Meanwhile, dedicated game hardware continues along merrily oblivious to what goes on in Apple.

I'm going to have to assume this is a joke, because no one could possibly be so clueless.
  • Reply 282 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm going to have to assume this is a joke, because no one could possibly be so clueless.

You'd think.... but i agree with you.. let's not go there
  • Reply 283 of 329
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wiiztec View Post

I concur. It is sad that so many still think video games sprang from the computer revolution when it is actually the other way around.

I regret to inform you that your first post is to concur with a bat shit insane opinion. You can still recover, but it's going to take some work. Good luck.
  • Reply 284 of 329
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Glad I don't own Apple stock right now because it's going to kind-of-suck for shareholders tomorrow.

Steve Jobs was the man (and my favorite cult leader), and Apple is going to struggle a while without him.

Well, it looks like all the complete assholes that were worrying about their AAPL and predicting a complete collapse instead of wishing Steve Jobs well yesterday might want to hold onto the stock for a while longer. Didn't happen did it, assholes.
  • Reply 285 of 329
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Some of you are bordering on deifying the man. -_-

creepy

and before you call me callous read my previous two comments in this thread

Look, complete a-holes are not tolerated very well by actual Apple customers on AI.
  • Reply 286 of 329
    steve definitely has shown apple the way when it comes to devices. i do think that apple has much room to grow if they handle it properly. oddly enough, it should be in a direction that steve didn't really seem to put much into: Enterprise. You have the best hardware and OS on the planet. Now let it take over at the workplace. Loosen the reigns a bit.
  • Reply 287 of 329
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In addition, there is no one at Apple who would deny Jobs a decision. He's proven all he needs to. Jobs is interested in product R&D. He's also interested in final product approval. Why would anyone at Apple disagree with him having that? I can't think of a single reason.

Do you think he would be willing to offer his opinion if he wasn't across all the details? I'm not so sure.
  • Reply 288 of 329
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tim Dragon View Post

Everyone knows the true reason why Steve Jobs resigned. Apple cannot compete with dedicated handheld gaming devices. What Apple fans are not familiar with is that Steve Jobs was an employee of Atari and received his business training from Atari’s main investor. The Apple II was designed around the video game ‘Break-Out’ which Wozniak essentially designed. Video games created the personal computer, not the other way around. In the same way, handheld video games created the handheld computers, not the other way around. And despite Steve Jobs’s origins in gaming, his success in media only comes from old media such as movies (Pixar) to music (iPod). Steve Jobs has had the same exact effect on video games as Bill Gates: none. Aside from providing computer hardware that can also play video games, the nature of video games has been unchanged and uninfluenced by Jobs.

It is wise for Steve Jobs to exit his role in the company now when it is clear that he has failed for the second time (the first time was in home game consoles, the second was handheld game consoles) to take over gaming. Steve Jobs has failed to surpass his original employer, Nolan Bushnell, in influence over video games.

Meanwhile, dedicated game hardware continues along merrily oblivious to what goes on in Apple.

Quote:

I concur. It is sad that so many still think video games sprang from the computer revolution when it is actually the other way around.

You had to create two accounts so someone would agree with your own silly post? That's pretty sad.
  • Reply 289 of 329
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

If you investigate I think you'll find that I'm not the person who posted the post I first quoted, I just found it to be on message with the truth of the matter

And if you investigate, you'll find that there's not a single word of that post that is in any way even remotely related to the concept of truth.

Okay, "Steve Jobs was an employee of Atari". Beyond that, it's not even downhill. The hill is absorbed by a Calabi-Yau manifold and spat out above where it begins.

It's perfectly evident that neither of all one of you has any idea what really happened.
  • Reply 290 of 329
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Not surprised - but still disappointing news...

Thanks for everything Steve - enjoy the rest of your life!

• Reply 291 of 329
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Steve ? you have shown how to steer a company in an ethical but profitable fashion. No one else has been able to remake the face of business in the way you have. Your legacy will last not for years but for centuries. Apple will be a model of success.

On a personal note I hope you live a long time (we are the same age, so I have extra reasons! ). You are an inspiration and I hope you understand how greatly you have been loved ? well, the well-wishing here does not leave room for any doubt in that regard.

Eluard

Lesson #1:

Simple Seamless Integration

Thy name be Steven P. Jobs
  • Reply 292 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Do you think he would be willing to offer his opinion if he wasn't across all the details? I'm not so sure.

We can be sure that he will know whatever he needs and wants to. Remember, he's still the chairman, and one of the largest stockholders. It's not as though he'll be isolated.
  • Reply 293 of 329
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewevans01 View Post

... I don't find him agreeable as a person, and I feel he is the embodiment of a level of corporate arrogance at Apple. ...

Very thoughtful of you to spew some hate in the middle of this particular thread.
  • Reply 294 of 329
    Steve - thank you for creating the most innovative, desirable and magical tech products in the world, and for founding and guiding a company that has proven that seamless integration, customer satisfaction, and a moral compass are keys to your much deserved success. You rock!

I discovered my first Mac at my university bookstore, and after all the problems and frustrations I'd had with using PCs, it was a true revelation in what a personal computer should be...I still have that machine, it still works, and I'm a delighted Apple fan.

Good luck in your new role and in life, we know that Apple is in good hands and we can't wait to see what magical products you will create for us next.

Peace and health be with you,

C.
  • Reply 295 of 329
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Sleep

Restart...

Shut Down...

Log Out Steve...

Thanks for the ride man
  • Reply 296 of 329
    I used to work for someone who mentored Steve in his early career with Apple. He told us that Steve said he wanted to be the next Walt Disney. He said he wanted to create things so amazing that they would change people's lives. Mission accomplished.
  • Reply 297 of 329
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I just tried to help a colleague with a PowerPoint presentation I converted from Keynote. He's using a ThinkPad with Windows7. It's absolute garbage. If you think it's because Keynote from a Mac didn't convert it properly, I verified the PowerPoint file on my Mac using VMWare Fusion Windows7 and another colleague's HP laptop.

Steve is personally responsible for billions of hours of extra productivity that would otherwise be lost (and continues to be lost) by mankind due to the nonsense that is Windows and Office and regular PC desktops/laptops.
  • Reply 298 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Very thoughtful of you to spew some hate in the middle of this particular thread.

Very thoughtful of you to completely exclude the rest of my post and take one sentence out of context. I was being honest in my opinions about how I feel about him as a person and how his words and actions shaped my opinion towards Apple products. I never said I hated him or that I wished him ill, and I feel that the tech world as a whole will lose out without him at the head of Apple. If you are going to quote me, please quote me in context of the rest of my post.
  • Reply 299 of 329
    About the COO replacement question - MacRumors has a good article. Apparently they do have someone suitable:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/25/...ating-officer/
  • Reply 300 of 329
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Ok, my investigation has found that you are the same person and had to register a second acct in order to have someone agree with that first silly post. The 'truth' is that your first posts was so full of fallacies and bizarrely, wacko conclusions, that I am not sure why you bothered to post it originally nor why you thought posting under another name would give it any credence. BS is BS and it was BS.

Talking of the wacky and bizarre, here's an op-ed on CNN (I know, sad but I did read this voluntarily) about Apple's success. Could have guessed that it would be an inaccurate, biassed piece given the author's affiliation, however, I am mad none the less:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/...tml?&hpt=hp_c2