New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Or Michael Spindler

No seriously, as long as Apple is lead by people who remember where Apple was in 1996 and understood how Apple got to that place, the company should continue down the right path. The forces that brought Apple to it's knees in 1996 are endemic to any large organization and hopefully Apple's current culture and leadership will be able to keep those forces at bay.

Apple has photos of Sculley, Diesel and Amelio in Cook's office with the word, "Remember", under them.
  • Reply 102 of 146
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

One of my main concerns is what will Apple do whenever Steve passes (hopefully not for a very long time) and they run through everything in his idea book? Who will come up with next big One More Thing then? Who will keep innovating and pushing for new ideas and demanding near perfection? I worry they will slowly fall back to 1997 and become just another tech company.

Believe it or not, Steve isn't the only person at Apple with ideas (for proof of that look at all of the Apple patents with names of people besides Steve). The perfectionism is a part of the Apple DNA now. I'd be more concerned going 5 to 10 years out.
  • Reply 103 of 146
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AIR... As I Recall...

You recall incorrectly. The iMac was Ive's first big skunk works project that only a handful knew about which was the main reason it was such a shock to the entire corporation when Steve unveiled it that day.

FWIW: short hand in a capitalized form is an Acronym, not an intended prepositional phrase
  • Reply 104 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple has photos of Sculley, Diesel and Amelio in Cook's office with the word, "Remember", under them.

You can bet if Cook starts sliding, there'll be a talking-to. Something like this, perhaps.

• Reply 105 of 146
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Who will now generate the RDF?
  • Reply 106 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You recall incorrectly. The iMac was Ive's first big skunk works project that only a handful knew about which was the main reason it was such a shock to the entire corporation when Steve unveiled it that day.

FWIW: short hand in a capitalized form is an Acronym, not an intended prepositional phrase

C'mon... you misread my post... that doesn't warrant your incivility, or an unnecessary grammar lesson.

We watched, Apple for years, but had retired, left the business and Silicon Valley. At the time of Jobs return, we were playing in Arizona, New Mexico, etc. We hardly touched a computer until 1997.

When Jobs took over, he cut a lot of products, 3rd-party licensees, then introduced seveal new ones -- including the iMac. AIR, there was an article at the time, that gave credit for the iMac to Amelio. I surfed, but cannot support that recollection.

I don't owe you this explanation, but am providing it because you normally make reasoned posts that contribute to the discussion at hand.
  • Reply 107 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Who will now generate the RDF?

That is the primary purpose of the new campus that Apple is building. Steve's essence has been trapped in a holding vessel and will be installed in a subterranean chamber in the middle of the building. The circular design was required so that the rays would emanate from every angle.
  • Reply 108 of 146
    Quote:

C'mon... you misread my post... that doesn't warrant your incivility, or an unnecessary grammar lesson.

We watched, Apple for years, but had retired, left the business and Silicon Valley. At the time of Jobs return, we were playing in Arizona, New Mexico, etc. We hardly touched a computer until 1997.

When Jobs took over, he cut a lot of products, 3rd-party licensees, then introduced seveal new ones -- including the iMac. AIR, there was an article at the time, that gave credit for the iMac to Amelio. I surfed, but cannot support that recollection.

I don't owe you this explanation, but am providing it because you normally make reasoned posts that contribute to the discussion at hand.

Here ya go, Dick:

In May, Apple announced the iMac and new PowerBook G3 models. By August, Apple had 150,000 preorders for the iMac. Apple’s stock went over $40/share, the highest stock market price in three years. In August 1998, Apple finally introduced its new all-in-one computer reminiscent of the Macintosh 128K: the iMac (Amelio claimed most of the project had been completed under his watch). The iMac design team was led by Jonathan Ive, who would later design the iPod and the iPhone. The iMac featured modern technology and a unique design, with the monitor and computer in the same box. It had no floppy disk drive like other computers, and that was a risk that worked. The iMac sold close to 800,000 units in its first five months. Later that year Mac OS 8.5 was released to an ecstatic audience. Surveys showed that 43% of all iMac buyers were new to the Macintosh platform.

http://scaruffi.com/svhistory/sv/chap91.html
  • Reply 109 of 146
    Quote:

That is the primary purpose of the new campus that Apple is building. Steve's essence has been trapped in a holding vessel and will be installed in a subterranean chamber in the middle of the building. The circular design was required so that the rays would emanate from every angle.

Wouldn't a really, really big one of these be better?

...And, the first question is: What $ sales per sq. ft. does MS realize for its Microsoft Stores?
  • Reply 110 of 146
    Quote:

Here ya go, Dick:

In May, Apple announced the iMac and new PowerBook G3 models. By August, Apple had 150,000 preorders for the iMac. Apple’s stock went over $40/share, the highest stock market price in three years. In August 1998, Apple finally introduced its new all-in-one computer reminiscent of the Macintosh 128K: the iMac (Amelio claimed most of the project had been completed under his watch). The iMac design team was led by Jonathan Ive, who would later design the iPod and the iPhone. The iMac featured modern technology and a unique design, with the monitor and computer in the same box. It had no floppy disk drive like other computers, and that was a risk that worked. The iMac sold close to 800,000 units in its first five months. Later that year Mac OS 8.5 was released to an ecstatic audience. Surveys showed that 43% of all iMac buyers were new to the Macintosh platform.

Thanks for that. If only to prove to an old man that he is not completely senile... Yet!

BTW, I bought a Biondi Blue model to replace my Mac II -- a real powerhouse in 15 cu inches.

It still runs fine!
  • Reply 111 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

no. he reminds me of robert englund.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, that would put a whole new twist on the keynotes.... "Don't fall asleep! Don't fall asleep!"

• Reply 112 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

<snip>Is it only me or does Mr. Cook remind you of Jar Jar Binks? It's probably just me \

No, it is not just you. That resemblance is scary.
  • Reply 113 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can bet if Cook starts sliding, there'll be a talking-to. Something like this, perhaps...

TFTFY

• Reply 114 of 146
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    The message from Tim Cook sounds suspiciously like Steve Jobs. From what I've read about Tim Cook's low-key personality, he doesn't seem like the type of person who would use the word "magical". We all know where that comes from. I wouldn't be too surprised if this message was written by Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 115 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

The message from Tim Cook sounds suspiciously like Steve Jobs. From what I've read about Tim Cook's low-key personality, he doesn't seem like the type of person who would use the word "magical". We all know where that comes from. I wouldn't be too surprised if this message was written by Steve Jobs.

Indeed, it didn't seem to come from him, or it didn't give me the belief it came from him, unlike Steve's messages.

There was one time Phil did a keynote and he kinda didn't do the "One More Thing" properly.

Steve Jobs. Not an idol, nor a messiah or prophet (though he comes close). Just... one heck of a guy.
  • Reply 116 of 146
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

One of my main concerns is what will Apple do whenever Steve passes (hopefully not for a very long time) and they run through everything in his idea book? Who will come up with next big One More Thing then? Who will keep innovating and pushing for new ideas and demanding near perfection? I worry they will slowly fall back to 1997 and become just another tech company.

That assumes that Steve did everything and no one else ever came up with an original idea. In reality, Apple has a very powerful management team.

Now, they may lose a little of the unrelenting single minded focus, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In 1997, Apple was a computer company - and not doing all that well. It was necessary to create a single focus to lead things forward. Today, it's a multi-market, multi-product, global powerhouse. As long as there's a unifying theme to their efforts, marching in lock step is not as critical as it was 15 years ago.

Quote:

AIR, Apple had money, but was out of ideas/vision.

The one exception, AIR, was the iMac which was developed before Steve's return -- but released after he took control.

The iMac was released in August, 1998. Apple bought NeXT in late 1996 - which is when Jobs came back to Apple. His role increased over time and he became CEO in Sept 1997.

Unless you believe that developing the iMac took years, it clearly has Jobs' fingerprints all over it.

Quote:

Here ya go, Dick:

This is hilarious. It's funny when the losers attempt to rewrite history.

First, look at the timeline. If the iMac was really Amelio's baby, why did it take more than a year from Amelio's departure to the release of the iMac? Furthermore, look at everything released under Amelio's watch and everything Amelio did and try to claim that the iMac was his doing. Amelio was all about cheap beige boxes. His efforts with cloning, for example. And all the products that were released under his watch. More than any other time in history, Macs released during his time were generic looking boxes (with a very few exceptions). He was big on proprietary things like NuBus and ADB. His idea of style was to lump a few beige rectangles together (look at the PowerMac 9600).

The iMac looks nothing like what Amelio stood for - entirely new design, showy aesthetics, use of industry standards like USB.

In all likelihood, Amelio is claiming that he was responsible for AIOs because models like the Performa 5400 came out during his time (http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-5400.html) were his 'invention' and the iMac was really nothing new. I don't think Amelio ever understood how different the iMac was.
  • Reply 117 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The iMac was released in August, 1998. Apple bought NeXT in late 1996 - which is when Jobs came back to Apple. His role increased over time and he became CEO in Sept 1997.

Unless you believe that developing the iMac took years, it clearly has Jobs' fingerprints all over it.

First, look at the timeline. If the iMac was really Amelio's baby, why did it take more than a year from Amelio's departure to the release of the iMac? Furthermore, look at everything released under Amelio's watch and everything Amelio did and try to claim that the iMac was his doing. Amelio was all about cheap beige boxes. His efforts with cloning, for example. And all the products that were released under his watch. More than any other time in history, Macs released during his time were generic looking boxes (with a very few exceptions). He was big on proprietary things like NuBus and ADB. His idea of style was to lump a few beige rectangles together (look at the PowerMac 9600).

The iMac looks nothing like what Amelio stood for - entirely new design, showy aesthetics, use of industry standards like USB.

In all likelihood, Amelio is claiming that he was responsible for AIOs because models like the Performa 5400 came out during his time (http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-5400.html) were his 'invention' and the iMac was really nothing new. I don't think Amelio ever understood how different the iMac was.

We were very close to Apple (7/10 of a mile) and an Apple reseller between 1978-1989. We saw the gestation of the floppy disk, various Apple//x follow-on models, the Apple///, Lisa. Mac, Mac II, LaserWriter.

Being close to Apple, being the best Apple dealer in Silicon Valley (with customers worldwide), the fact one of our 3 partners was Woz's younger brother Mark... and finally the fact that we were located next to a fantastic Chinese restaurant...

Apple people, from (whatever) president on down regularly came into our store. Often a middle manger, say someone like John Couch (not saying it was John Couch -- just someone like him) would come in to pick our brains or use us for a sounding board.

The conversation would normally start something like this:

Apple Employee or Middle Manager: "You probably already know this, so.... blah, blah, company jewels, blah, blah...".

My point is that in those days, it took a few years to get from drawing board to released product, when Apple was at the top of its game.

Later, when Steve returned things were a lot different -- the Apple business was depressed. We had left the business and moved away -- so my access to "inside information" was lost.

But, I suspect that the iMac could, easily, have taken 3 years to develop... and that would mean that it was started under Amelio's watch.

Certainly, Steve added his "own" to the product that was actually released -- I suspect, no floppy and USB may have been two of those. Let's blame Amelio for the hockey-puck mouse.

I may be mistaken, but Ive may have been working with/for Apple under Amelio's watch.

I have know proof, but I can imagine Steve looking at Apple's products in development, and seeing very little he'd want to use/make/sell. Then, seeing the iMac concept...

Kinda' like what happened with Jef Raskin's little project.
  • Reply 118 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually... you're comparing the iMac to the wrong computer that was made under Amelio's reign. The iMac very closely resembled the G3 aio... the guts were almost identical except for the use of usb. http://www.kevinomura.com/macs/g3aio/index.html The G3 AIO even had a translucent back. Sadly... it never made it beyond the US education market.

I honestly believe that the majority of the work was done under Amelio's watch but Steve, along with Ive, showed what could be done with that beige box... something that could never have been envisioned by Amelio.
  • Reply 119 of 146
    Quote:

I may be mistaken, but Ive may have been working with/for Apple under Amelio's watch.

I have know proof, but I can imagine Steve looking at Apple's products in development, and seeing very little he'd want to use/make/sell. Then, seeing the iMac concept...

It always made me wonder why Ive couldn't have designed the bondi blue iMac before Steve entered the picture in 97. Ive had been working at Apple even while Sculley was there.

I can't help thinking that the G3 aio was a design from Ive's hand, and then when Steve came back he looked at the box, called Ive to his office and said something to the effect of, "I know you can do better than that.".

However it came about, Ive became #1 in the design team when Steve took over.
  • Reply 120 of 146
    Quote:

Here ya go, Dick:

unique design with monitor and computer in same box? you mean the original Mac in didn't have this??

the mac went wrong as soon as steve was fired. the original was elegant and minimal for its day. after steve left it got bulkier and uglier. Ivey just modernized the original mac and brought it back to its roots. a new look, the return of steve, and you had some major momentum.

even if Amelio had some input on that he can't claim ipod, new lcd imac design, iphone, ipad, mac air, aluminum macbook pros, os x, IOS, magic mouse, magic trackpad, can he? he became ceo in 1996, stock dropped even more, then he did the only sensible thing, and the only thing he should be applauded for: buying NeXt.