iPhone 'jailbreak' prodigy to join Apple as intern

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Something tells me this kid didn't get a lot of dates in high school.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Prodigy? Whose double digit IQ came up with that asinine headline?
  • Reply 23 of 50
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

"very illegal activity legal"

he means that, it was a "very illegal activity" and it was deemed to be a "legal" activity.

I actually wrote "possibly very illegal activity legal". I know, not my best posts, it's early in the morning!

Anyway I changed it to:

The US Congress has legalised jailbreaking...which might have been or was considered illegal prior to the ruling
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Prodigy? Whose double digit IQ came up with that asinine headline?

Well, he did make a few untethered user land jailbreaks possible by just visiting a website. That is prodigious.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just make sure this kid works with a handler and does not have access to the Internet while working at Apple. He just might release Apple's source code. \

True dat. On the other hand, he might be running the company in a year or two.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

For the record, I'm not American, I've only worked there almost decade ago for a few years.

I'm not saying it couldn't have happened in other Western countries. But at least it still *can* happen in the US.

I know what you are talking about. I'm not American either. But I have been in the US for sometime now. Almost daily I say "that wouldn't be allowed back home", there are so many pain in the ass regulations and laws back in europe that there's no wonder their brightest flee to the states.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    this explains why the updates have been coming a little slower in the jailbreaking community. i guess apple has realize the one true way to silence all those jailbreaking geniuses out there.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hewsthat View Post

this explains why the updates have been coming a little slower in the jailbreaking community. i guess apple has realize the one true way to silence all those jailbreaking geniuses out there.

Nah, many in the community are always working hard on exploits.

Comex was either very gifted, very lucky, or both.

There are also reports of moles in the jailbreak scene working for Apple.

The cat-and-mouse game just got more interesting.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Now he can hack future iPhones better and faster!
  • Reply 30 of 50
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Seems strange to start as an "intern" when you just schooled all of your superiors.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It's interesting that Apple was founded by a pair of hackers who broke into the phone system to make free calls.

Edit: And both of them got jobs at Hewlitt-Packard before they started their new little company. Which, Apple, is now the equivalent to what Ma Bell, AT&T, was back then. I can't believe we just saw this happen.

Edit 2: "equivalent" in terms of technocultural influence. AT&T had massive infrastructure, unequalled to this day, probably.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:

There are also reports of moles in the jailbreak scene working for Apple.

Really, the penalties, should people be discovered would be massive. They'd get sued into oblivion, least of all for not doing their jobs correctly.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

http://forum.xda-developers.com/ <--- Google will be fine.

But it is great that Apple is starting to acknowledge talent outside of itself in a community it has long criticized.

many cool things are on the "dark" side of developers, apple needs to open its mind more to customer care and preferences,

you know this is two ways...he wanted to be as much a part of apple as apple wants him to be a part of his future. feed the talent groom the talent historically if you look at SJ an Woz they are that "kid" in their garage, and no one but their small community gave them respect initially then time and reluctantly the "main stream" saw their talent

i like to see companies act like a startup. not get stodgy and complacent. see they are building each others future.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Seems strange to start as an "intern" when you just schooled all of your superiors.

Aren't interns typically unpaid? or is that only the more common cases that you hear about and not a rule of some kind?

Maybe the internee is supposed to be the one learning but in this case he will be teaching?

Or maybe it is an internship for legal or tax reasons? or maybe because it is a limited type thing as an ad hoc arrangement rather than an actual position.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

Does this mean we won't have jailbreaks anymore?

And having him work for them, signing a DNA, DND and any other documents they can get him to sign ? ??? My guess is, this puts Apple in a much better place should they ever have to deal with him legally, IF he 'Breaks" any of the rules / laws Apples sets forth with his employment.

Tough call on his part. Think about it. Yes he gets to do what he does best, but now it won't be fun to "Beat the man", because the "Man" is paying him, (well no doubt, but still it's the "Man").

- It will NOT be as much fun

- He's young and will want to spread his wings

- He will be making a good salary, but doesn't care about money

- After awhile, it will NOT be as much fun

Skip
  • Reply 36 of 50
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

And having him work for them, signing a DNA, DND and any other documents they can get him to sign ? ??? My guess is, this puts Apple in a much better place should they ever have to deal with him legally, IF he 'Breaks" any of the rules / laws Apples sets forth with his employment.

Tough call on his part. Think about it. Yes he gets to do what he does best, but now it won't be fun to "Beat the man", because the "Man" is paying him, (well no doubt, but still it's the "Man").

- It will NOT be as much fun

- He's young and will want to spread his wings

- He will be making a good salary, but doesn't care about money

- After awhile, it will NOT be as much fun

Skip

I think perhaps you mean NDA - Non-Disclosure Agreement - or perhaps your device did an auto-correct on you and change NDA to DNA.

Back in college I had a professor named Kaufman and spellcheck always tried to change it to Caveman.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I think perhaps you mean NDA - Non-Disclosure Agreement - or perhaps your device did an auto-correct on you and change NDA to DNA.

Back in college I had a professor named Kaufman and spellcheck always tried to change it to Caveman.

Yes, and I didn't catch it, thank you.

Skip
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

My mistake in saying "US Court". I meant, before the US Congress ruling, jailbreaking was considered illegal by some. Now it is officially legal. But prior to the ruling, Comex was already in action and could have been persecuted. Apple and the US government or other US entities could have unleashed the dogs on him and Saurik, et al. But they didn't.

I've edited my post above to make it clearer.

And you are still wrong.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/26/tech...king/index.htm
  • Reply 39 of 50
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just make sure this kid works with a handler and does not have access to the Internet while working at Apple. He just might release Apple's source code. \

Unless the offer was just a ruse to get him to California, and they slap the cuffs on him as soon as he walks in the front door.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejaysplace24 View Post

Something tells me this kid didn't get a lot of dates in high school.

He's gonna make up for it by becoming rich at a young age.