Images of modified iPhone 4 case show antenna changes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Images purporting to be the structural case design for a revamped, cheaper new iPhone 4 indicate changes in its antenna design.

The images, published by MacRumors and supplied by iPatchiPods, appear to show a unibody frame without case seams on the top or either side of the top of the phone.

Existing GSM iPhone 4 models sold by AT&T and other global carriers have a single seam on the top, while the Verizon CDMA model has two seams on either side of the top end.

The seams separate the external edge of the iPhone 4 into antenna segments; the GSM model has two antennas (one for mobile use and one for WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS, as shown below) while the CDMA model has three (dual mobile antennas required in the CDMA specification and a WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS segment).

The modified case (shown below from the front and flipped over on its back) also incorporates a SIM card, something that only the existing GSM version of the current iPhone 4 has or needs.

It's not yet known whether the anticipated new cheaper iPhone 4 (sometimes referred to as the "iPhone 4S") will be dual band, allowing it to work on both major mobile network types. It is expected that the separate iPhone 5 model, bearing an original new design, will support both networks.

The primary feature of the new iPhone 4 phone design is expected to be its reduced cost, achieved through the use of streamlined components and a smaller 8GB of storage capacity.

A similarly purported "iPhone 5" prototype case design appeared in January, similarly lacking seams on the top two sides, instead bearing a single seam on the top.

The report also portrays a bottom frame segment (below) that appears to lack a defined Home button, suggesting that Apple may change the appearance and design of the Home button on the phones it releases later this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Brillant!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Surely this is fake¡ Apple won't make the same mistake twice with the antenna¡
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Surely this is fake¡ Apple won't make the same mistake twice with the antenna¡

Apple has sold 69 million iPhones since June of last year.

I'm pretty sure most of them were the iPhone 4... "broken" antenna and all.

In short... "Antennagate" was silly.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

In short... "Antennagate" was silly.

To me, the name "Antennagate" refers to the conspiracy created to make people believe the antennas were faulty, not some sort of cover-up of truly faulty antennas. Because there really weren't any.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To me, the name "Antennagate" refers to the conspiracy created to make people believe the antennas were faulty, not some sort of cover-up of truly faulty antennas. Because there really weren't any.

Exactly.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    "Antennagate" was obviously rubbish.

There is simply a weakness or trade-off with the external antenna, whereby although it gives you better reception in most situations, placing your hand over the "weak spot" reduces reception capability. Additionally, the signal bars were previously not giving an accurate indication of signal strength.

The current antenna design does not cause any problems if you use a case with the iPhone 4 as most people do, or if you have a 2-bar or more signal strength. Also, the revised signal bar display now manages user expectations better.

To me, the iPhone 4 is the best I've experienced. I use a case, so that even in 1-bar reception areas I can receive, make and hold a call, and SMS without worry. That and because I don't want the glass to break, chip or scratch if I drop it.

That all said, Apple has almost certainly improved on this whole situation post iPhone-4, so that the antenna in the 2011 iPhone will no longer be a weakness, trade-off, "issue", or whatever one chooses to call it.

Finally, in reflection Steve Jobs himself coming out to explain the situation and admit the weak spot was extremely admirable. He turned something that was perceived negatively into one of the most successful and profitable products ever and laid the mindshare and branding groundwork for the iPad. He also delivered on his promise of a white iPhone 4, further securing new users and more sales.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    @ solipsism: So why do you think they removed the seams in the stainless steel?

What is holding Apple back from placing the antennas behind the back glass? Nothing!

What no one seems to notice (and IA mistakenly calls this a unibody), is that this is really simple mechanics compared to the original iPhone 4's CNC machined steel frame. Some of the very expensive components of the original iP4 is it's mechanical parts, and in this picture they seem to be several times cheaper, it's a simple extruded steel band and the middle steel plate seems to be welded on. On the original iP4 there are lots of small threads and screws holding things together.

If Apple was going to make a cheaper iPhone, this would be the way to do it, I think there's a good chance these parts are actually genuine.

Kim
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neeper View Post

@ solipsism: So why do you think they removed the seams in the stainless steel?

Can you explain the point of your query?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can you explain the point of your query?

Yes. Of course Apple won't make the same antenna design again, they are fully aware that it didn't work on the original iPhone 4.

Who says the antenna has to be connected to the steel frame? They have a glass back, they can just put the antenna back there. I think they've learned "it's never been done before, and it's really cool engineering" was course it turned out that it was not cool engineering that the user actually touches the antenna - not by holding it wrong, but just by holding it.

I have an iPhone 4, I'm an electronic technician, and believe me, the antenna does not work. It's the world's best and nicest smartphone, just with a defect antenna design. Reason they never knew till they released it, is course they only field tested it in a plastic 3G look alike case, they didn't know how massive this problem were gonna be.

Now they know, and they will never make the same mistake again.

Kim
  • Reply 10 of 14
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I think that you will find the glass used in the iPhone is not great for passing radiowaves (Not saying that it blocks them completely). People always assume that glass is great for radiowaves to pass through but in reality many types of glass especially toughened/laminated provides more of a barrier than a brick wall.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Interesting no seams. That would imply just one antenna. The iPod touch only need one antenna for WiFi. It is also a bit smaller than the iPhone. That could what this is.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

Interesting no seams. That would imply just one antenna. The iPod touch only need one antenna for WiFi. It is also a bit smaller than the iPhone. That could what this is.

It could also mean they have used special alloys where there would be joints so that they have the appearance of a single piece when it's actually fragmentmented from the perspective of radios.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I think that you will find the glass used in the iPhone is not great for passing radiowaves (Not saying that it blocks them completely). People always assume that glass is great for radiowaves to pass through but in reality many types of glass especially toughened/laminated provides more of a barrier than a brick wall.

It's true that some laminated glass can attenuate radio waves, but I'm sure Apple can find some glass, or in a cheaper version just use some plastic in a high quality.

If you look at this picture http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...over-White.jpg it's clear that the black area on the back of this glass/plastic back is masked off to be transparent to radio waves, where the antennas are gonna be...

Kim
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neeper View Post

If you look at this picture http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...over-White.jpg it's clear that the black area on the back of this glass/plastic back is masked off to be transparent to radio waves, where the antennas are gonna be...

Don't be an ass! You know damn well that's where the boards sit against the casing.