Purported next-gen iPhone parts show back panel, battery, logicboard

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Pictures claiming to show components from a next-generation iPhone suggest the device could have a design and size largely similar to the current iPhone 4.

One picture of a back panel from a purported prototype fifth-generation iPhone shows a design essentially identical to the iPhone 4. Obtained by MacPost, it shows a white handset labeled "EVT2" for "Engineering Verification Testing" with a date of June 7, 2011.

The early development prototype is labeled on the inside as "N94." The iPhone 4 first released in 2010 is known as "N90," while the CDMA iPhone 4 released earlier this year is dubbed "N92."

As on other leaked prototype backs, the latest purported part has its model number, FCC ID and capacity information replaced with X's, offering little indication as to what might be inside a next-generation iPhone. Apple is widely expected to add the A5 processor already found in the iPad 2.

The report noted that the camera flash is located in the same position, right next to the camera lens, potentially debunking earlier leaks that suggested the flash and lens would be separated. The report also noted the front cover "insinuates lots of internal circuitry changes."

Separately, parts claiming to show a battery and logic board for Apple's next-generation iPhone were also shared on Friday by AppleLeaks. The battery is manufactured by ATL Dongguan Amperex Technology Limited, which also made batteries for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

The battery pictured has the same 3.7V 1430mAh capacity as the iPhone 4, though it has a different interface than the current hardware. It is model GB-510-423282-0100.

The site also has a picture that claims to show the logicboard of a next-generation iPhone. It features a different design for the power sensors and module, phone jack, and camera module.

Earlier this week, pictures of a potential fifth-generation iPhone casing suggested the device could have changes to its antenna. The pictures appear to show a unibody frame without case seams on the top or either side of the top of the handset.

Leading up to the launch of the next-generation iPhone, rumors have been scattershot, and there is a great deal of confusion as to whether the next iPhone will sport an all-new design, or have an appearance similar to the iPhone 4. This week, Reuters reported that the next-generation iPhone will look largely the same as the iPhone 4.

That's in contrast to conflicting reports and even third-party cases suggesting the next iPhone could have angled sides and a flat back, with a design similar to the iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pictures claiming to show components from a next-generation iPhone suggest the device could have a design and size largely similar to the current iPhone 4.

Might this be an iPhone 4a instead? Aren't there rumors of a cheaper second-tier iPhone 4 to complement the flagship iP5? Maybe this is it?

Just a WAG.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Might this be an iPhone 4a instead? Aren't there rumors of a cheaper second-tier iPhone 4 to complement the flagship iP5? Maybe this is it?

Just a WAG.

I think that's exactly right. This confusion around conflicting rumors stems largely from the fact that there will be one (cheaper) model very similar to iP4 as well as a completely new iP5.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... One picture of a back panel from a purported prototype fifth-generation iPhone shows a design essentially identical to the iPhone 4. ...

if that top image of the white backing piece is what the article refers to, then it's a completely different design than the iPhone 4.

It appears to be plastic and fused to a lot of other stuff. It also appears to drop the patented annular ring for attachment to the main device in favour of two posts at the bottom.

This would be evidence of the rumoured "cheapo" iPhone for the masses perhaps.

Edit: those posts on the picture that would apparently fix the backplate to the frame would totally fit in the two holes from the antenna pictures posted yesterday.

• Reply 4 of 32
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    The new iPhone is running Li-ion!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    I like the thinking here. It makes sense that this could easily be a cheaper iPhone4 model.

I still hope to see the flash moved over. I have to remove my case to take a decent flash photo, otherwise there is flash-reflection from the case that clouds the picture. iOS5 is supposed to make it easier (ie quicker) to take a photo, starting from a locked iPhone. I can't wait! I have missed so many pictures fumbling with my iPhone (turn on, enter code, find app, launch, wait, point, Ohh! too late!). With that fixed, having to pull off my case to get a decent shot will be that much more aggravating.

I also still hope for more local storage. At least 64GB. I have several apps over 500MB now, and I am having to manage my storage too frequently. Media and document apps can grow over time as they store data in their separate storage areas, making the problem worse over time.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I'm going on record as saying there will only be an iP4s that resembles the current version iP4 in form factor but will have:

- antenna improvement-new design

- 8 pix camera

- antenna/chip to support multiple carriers

- A5 processor

- ??

I am doubting the iP5 models with the rumored new case design, wider screen, etc. There have not been enough leaked parts thus far to believe that could be a reality for a fall release. I do believe that could happen next summer around the traditional iPhone rease dates.

This release is merely a speed bump aimed at expanding penetration into the market and for those needing a reason to trade in their tired 3GS's. The rest of us will wait until next summer when our iP4 contracts are up.

Just saying.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    I agree that this looks like the phone headed to the prepaid market, reminds me a bit of the recently EOL'd plastic MacBook, got a bit of a retro thing going on.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    So.. At least over a year of prep and all they can come up with is the design as the iPhone 4?

I guess Ive ran out of ideas for new design?

iPhone 4 is a great phone and very well designed and beautiful. But recycling a design? Nothing exciting about that.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r u serious View Post

I'm going on record as saying there will only be an iP4s that resembles the current version iP4 in form factor but will have:

- antenna improvement-new design

- 8 pix camera

- antenna/chip to support multiple carriers

- A5 processor

- ??

I am doubting the iP5 models with the rumored new case design, wider screen, etc. There have not been enough leaked parts thus far to believe that could be a reality for a fall release. I do believe that could happen next summer around the traditional iPhone rease dates.

I agree with you here. Apple is all about steady improvements once the knockout product has been introduced.

Quote:

This release is merely a speed bump aimed at expanding penetration into the market and for those needing a reason to trade in their tired 3GS's.

Merely a speed bump? That's just wrong, presuming it has an A5, it will be the biggest speed bump since the 3G to 3GS, and that bump was huge.

If it has an A5, your other speculated specs, it's going to be awesome update: 2x the CPU throughput (20%-30% on integer, >100% on FPU), up to 9x the GPU, 2x the L2 cache, and so on. The A5 is the best ARM SoC for 2011 mobile hardware. I don't think there is even a debate about that. The difference between an A4 and an A5 is generational.

Contrast this with the 3GS to iPhone 4 spec bump. 600 MHz Cortex-A8, PowerVR SGX535, and 256 MB RAM in the 3GS compared to an 800 MHz Cortex-A8, PowerVR SGX535, and 512 MB RAM in the iPhone 4. That's barely any improvement in CPU and GPU. The 512 MB was huge though, but then again, the Retina Display certainly put some resource pressure on the whole SoC.

If the next iPhone has no change except for the A5, it'll represent a huge update. It's like going from a single processor Pentium (not Pro, Pentium) to a Core 2 Duo! Huge CPU and GPU update with the A5.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So.. At least over a year of prep and all they can come up with is the design as the iPhone 4?

I guess Ive ran out of ideas for new design?

iPhone 4 is a great phone and very well designed and beautiful. But recycling a design? Nothing exciting about that.

In all fairness, this is the way most design is done and not just at Apple.

A completely different design every year is not practical and most phones, computers, and other gadgets re-use the same basic design for at least two to four iterations (years). Blackberries have been essentially the same design for many years more than that.

With Phones, Apple has so far re-used the 3G type of design once (two years in total), and if they do the same this year it will be completely normal. It's only the rumour sites that have raised your expectations beyond what they should be.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In all fairness, this is the way

[...]

completely normal. It's only the rumour sites that have raised your expectations beyond what they should be.

Too much reading then, eh what you saying?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I agree with you here. Apple is all about steady improvements once the knockout product has been introduced.

Merely a speed bump? That's just wrong, presuming it has an A5, it will be the biggest speed bump since the 3G to 3GS, and that bump was huge.

If it has an A5, your other speculated specs, it's going to be awesome update: 2x the CPU throughput (20%-30% on integer, >100% on FPU), up to 9x the GPU, 2x the L2 cache, and so on. The A5 is the best ARM SoC for 2011 mobile hardware. I don't think there is even a debate about that. The difference between an A4 and an A5 is generational.

Contrast this with the 3GS to iPhone 4 spec bump. 600 MHz Cortex-A8, PowerVR SGX535, and 256 MB RAM in the 3GS compared to an 800 MHz Cortex-A8, PowerVR SGX535, and 512 MB RAM in the iPhone 4. That's barely any improvement in CPU and GPU. The 512 MB was huge though, but then again, the Retina Display certainly put some resource pressure on the whole SoC.

If the next iPhone has no change except for the A5, it'll represent a huge update. It's like going from a single processor Pentium (not Pro, Pentium) to a Core 2 Duo! Huge CPU and GPU update with the A5.

Sorry but nobody in the real world cares about this technical stuff. It's only geeks like us that take an interest.

If it doesn't look any different it wont attract the wow factor among potential buyers. Great looking new smartphones are coming out every day and Android is storming the market. We need more choice. By all means keep the iPhone 4 on sale and update it but please please bring out an all new iPhone 5 with a hot new design.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    My hunch is this is probably a world mode iPhone 4 to work on all four major carriers. My guess is there'll be a world mode iPhone 4 (still under the iPhone 4 name) and an iPhone 5 come October.

I'm not really buying there'll be a less expensive iPhone 4.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    At least not the current generation device in iPad 2. Why? Pretty simple really it draws to much power. Now if Apple has taped out an A5 variant at 28nm that is a different discussion and frankly a different chip. They would need to do something to manage the power used by the chip.

In fact I have a suspicion that the reason the iPhones didn't debut earlier is in fact related to the chips not being ready. The lack of iOS 5 is part of the equation but iOS 5 isn't needed to debut new hardware. So if the next iPhone does have an "A5" in it I really think it will be a process shrunk version. Otherwise it will be a whole new chip.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    i would not be surprised if the iphone 4s gains a5, bigger screen & world mode and becomes the flagship iphone while that tapered designed phone could be a basic iphone to replace the 3gs. (i personally would like to see an phone that does not require a data plan)
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Sorry but nobody in the real world cares about this technical stuff. It's only geeks like us that take an interest.

On the contrary almost everybody I know cares about performance. They may not want nor need to know about the nitty gritty technical details but they need points of comparison.

Quote:

If it doesn't look any different it wont attract the wow factor among potential buyers. Great looking new smartphones are coming out every day and Android is storming the market. We need more choice.

Apple isn't in the jewelry market. That is basically what the Android market has become.

Quote:

By all means keep the iPhone 4 on sale and update it but please please bring out an all new iPhone 5 with a hot new design.

Ignorance. You don't bring out a new iPhone to be pretty, you bring it out to advance the state of art in a real way. It is the features and capabilities that sell iOS devices, not the sparkle that is honey for the vain.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

i would not be surprised if the iphone 4s gains a5, bigger screen & world mode and becomes the flagship iphone while that tapered designed phone could be a basic iphone to replace the 3gs. (i personally would like to see an phone that does not require a data plan)

Mainly because my iPad solves a lot of my mobile computing needs so data on iPhone is kinda redundant.

I say kinda redundant because there are times when having access to the net is a very good thing even on the iPhone. However "most" of the time I'm near WiFi so when that facility is needed 3G isn't.

The whole idea of an iPhone that is free of a data plan has turned over in my mind constantly. Sometimes it seems to make all the sense in the world other times I'm reluctant to believe it would do the job. In the end the goal is to lower the overall monthly bill. To that end I'm far less likely to give up my 3G iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Totally agree with you that the actual numbers for the processors is no longer of any relevance to the general market, but at the same time people can feel when something is dramatically faster, so there is some relevance to it. I'm reminded of the difference between iPhone 3 and 3GS. I was genuinely stunned by how much more responsive 3GS seemed to be and while it didn't look any different to the 3, it was a phone worth having. What's different now is there is no point in arguing, "my processor runs at 3GHz", "ah but mine runs at 3.1GHz". It probably matters to kids who are trying to build PC gaming rigs, but for normal people, how things feel and respond is the key thing.

I don't really see the need for Apple to dramatically change the design every year. I know Android phones are always coming along in different designs which obviously suits people who see their phone as a fashion item - personally I don't.

As for the next iPhone, I'll be interested to see what they have done, but I'll be skipping this one. I find it hard to justify buying every generation and prefer to buy every other (hence I'm waiting for iPad 3 while continuing to use my original iPad).
  • Reply 19 of 32
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The new iPhone is running Li-ion!

I admit, I actually laughed out loud. I am getting funny looks even as I type this...
  • Reply 20 of 32
    I don't understand the point of a 'cheaper iPhone 4' I mean have you seen the 3GS, if an iPhone 5 comes out the demand for the iPhone 4 drops substantially. The only really nice reason for a cheaper iPhone 4, would be for the pre-paid/unlocked market.

I think it makes more sense for the cheaper iphone to just be an iTouch, which is a slightly stripped and cheaper then iPhone. All they have to do is include 3G on the itouch and its practically a pre-paid/unlocked iPhone.