WSJ: Apple working on new video delivery technology for TVs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I just bought my girlfriend a WD TV Live with a 1 TB drive in it

That is truly excellent product. I have my eye on the one without the internal drive, given how many external USB drives I already have.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Bad move, hope you didn't pay too much. Just wait and see what's coming from Apple over the next few months ...

C'mon. ATV is a great way to buy content from Apple. Other than that, not so much.

Their lack of codec support alone puts it out of contention for me.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

I just bought my girlfriend a WD TV Live with a 1 TB drive in it for her birthday, even though she has an iPhone 4 and plans to buy an iPad soon. Why? Because the Apple TV lacks storage, and it lacks the codecs to play non-Apple videos.

I know Apple will continue to be stubborn about adding storage to the Apple TV, but without the ability to store and play non-iTunes content, it's really of limited value right now.

The AirVideo app for iOS willl take care of codecs but for storage it rely on your PC/mac. If you have a mac its not a problem since you never have to turn them off, they are capable of waking up from sleep fast and without crashing, unlike windows machine. You can also convert all to m4v with handbrake and get the metadata with identify (mac). m4v is the best container out there because it can hold metadata within the file.

imo wanting to hold files on USB disk connected to the device is old thinking. Streaming is the key its just not perfect yet. With Coulds the notion of "files" is going to blurr to the point in 10 years the next generation is going to ask you "WTF is a file?".
  • Reply 44 of 54
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

C'mon. ATV is a great way to buy content from Apple. Other than that, not so much.

I have an Appletv and I've never bought or rented movies from iTunes. It works good for ripping DVD's.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Their lack of codec support alone puts it out of contention for me.

BTW only bittorrents donwloaders complain about codecs... If you already own dvd or Br, people just convert them to the codec that works with the device they used. My entire collection (which is in M4V) is available on my AppleTV via home sharing.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

BTW only bittorrents donwloaders complain about codecs... If you already own dvd or Br, people just convert them to the codec that works with the device they used. My entire collection (which is in M4V) is available on my AppleTV via home sharing.

Maybe I'm wrong. Does ATV stream FLACs from a windows machine?
  • Reply 47 of 54
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    All this mystery Apple television hype is pretty silly.

Apple today sells a state of the art 27" monitor, the Thunderbolt Display, for $999, with decent built in speakers. you don't need a tuner anymore, just add a few HDMI ports, wifi/ethernet, optical sound out, add an AppleTV chip, and give it a slick iOS UI via a Remote app for iDevices, and bingo, you have a beautiful top of the line 27" Apple Television.

yeah the price is high end. but Apple can probably begin it down quite a bit if it wants to, starting with the aluminum chassis. and there will need to be at least a bigger 47" model too.

coming soon.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleHater2 View Post

And if they came out with that sort of a TV, how would the $99 box "precisely mimic" it hooked up to your old TV?

Because a television has absolutely no software of its own and only gets fed what it's given.

And it would be given stuff from the $99 box to which it's connected.

I'll say it again: No one on Earth is going to spend $3,000 for a new TV every year to get newer hardware (and by definition, newer software) when they can buy a $99 box every year (if they want to) to do the exact. same. thing.

And sorry about the username slander. It won't happen again; just thought I'd get the truth in your post for once.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I read somewhere in one of the articles about Steve stepping down as CEO that Apple tends to have a vision and skunkworks projects that they then wait for technology to catch up to before releasing a product. The Newton was given as an example - screens, processing power & battery life were not at the point for a consumer-level product. Apple invested in making those core technologies cheaper and better and THEN released a product.

Thunderbolt could be the connection technology Apple has been waiting on to reshape the TV/home theater experience. High-speed internet has very good penetration now, people are getting used to having internet connected devices in the living room (WD Live, NetFlix equipped Blu-Ray players). A simple inter-device connection could be the tipping point for Apple to enter the market. Imagine Thunderbolt going from the media device (aTV, Blu-Ray player, whatever) to receiver/amp that handles all the output to speakers to the display. HDMI is a start, but I think HDMI may have too many problems and restrictions for Apple's taste.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

Capitalism 101: dollar$ is how you measure size not inches.

ok, so I will ask you again, when did they become the worlds largest company? Market size $ <> largest company $
  • Reply 51 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    CNet is pouring cold water on the idea that Apple might be offering a new subscription service anytime in the near future. According to their studio sources, no way.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20...er-not-coming/
  • Reply 52 of 54
    bighbigh Posts: 1member
    As an ATV owner and user for both versions, I'll quote Steve and say it's "a bag of hurt." It's always a mess, and always requires way more attention than it deserves for its limited functionality. It simply doesn't "just work" for anything more than renting movies (and we've been frustrated by that as well).

I find my time is spent on my Windows HTPC, playing and burning BluRay titles and enjoying a simple, direct way of doing things. Using AnyDVD and PowerDVD is much closer to "it just works" than anything Apple has to offer. They dropped the ball on video, and I'm guessing Hollywood had something to do with that. And for what it's worth, I've had Macs in the house and studio since the original in 1984. I'm totally a Mac guy.

Can they move ahead with their hobby? We'll see. but they won't get any more of my money for any more of their hobby devices. There are many better options out there, especially if you like true HD and the best sound available.

And there's no way in Steve Ballmer's personal Hades that they'll enter the TV market, so wake up - that's so far from their MO that it's not even on the radar. They haven't had their way with Hollywood, and they only play the game by their rules, so they've been left out. Forget all these rumors - they lost this market long ago and can only leverage the personal device angle of things. There will be no full-size Apple TV.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    tenzotenzo Posts: 27member
    Just a thought.......

With as much money as apple has.......

Why not just buy out netflix and be the top dawg.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:

I just bought my girlfriend a WD TV Live with a 1 TB drive in it for her birthday, even though she has an iPhone 4 and plans to buy an iPad soon. Why? Because the Apple TV lacks storage, and it lacks the codecs to play non-Apple videos.

I know Apple will continue to be stubborn about adding storage to the Apple TV, but without the ability to store and play non-iTunes content, it's really of limited value right now.

I do like my ATV but a walled garden just doesn't work well for TV content. I'm waiting for Rasberry Pi to be released. For $25 it looks like it will do everything the ATV will do plus is open.