Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The new iPhone is running Li-ion!

Horrible, but funny.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Ignorance. You don't bring out a new iPhone to be pretty, you bring it out to advance the state of art in a real way. It is the features and capabilities that sell iOS devices, not the sparkle that is honey for the vain.

Hogwash. You are obviously a technical person not a marketing person. Apple products are all about Design, Innovation & Ease of Use. How it looks it just as important as how it performs to the average iPhone user.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Blackberries have been essentially the same design for many years more than that.

RIM has many, many different designs and different models. Apple, however has very few - usually one or two.

Huge difference.

• Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Apple isn't in the jewelry market.

No. but they are most certainly in the market for buyers who want good looking stuff and status pieces that cost lots o' moolah.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Sorry but nobody in the real world cares about this technical stuff. It's only geeks like us that take an interest.

Oh they care. Absolutely bloody cares. They just don't want or need to understand why. While uni-core or dual-core or this or that GPU is inherently the playground of tech nerds, end-user performance and experience matters to everyone. End-user performance is what sells the product.

If Infinitely Blade is running smooth as butter with higher res textures and 4 or 5 players fighting each other, people will notice that. If Safari is running smooth as butter with 9 pages open and flipping between aps while listening to music without stuttering, people will notice that. If a 50 MB PDF opens up right away and people can flip through pages like paper, people will notice that. If Netflix or Hulu or Youtube never stutters while looking like an HD video, people will notice that. Only improved chips will do these type of things.

Quote:

If it doesn't look any different it wont attract the wow factor among potential buyers. Great looking new smartphones are coming out every day and Android is storming the market. We need more choice. By all means keep the iPhone 4 on sale and update it but please please bring out an all new iPhone 5 with a hot new design.

The trade dress brings them in the door, but it's the end-user performance that keeps them and builds the brand. The way it looks is highly important to Apple and helps it commands the premiums they have. Helps is the operative word. End-user performance and experience is a combined set of factors including the way it looks and the way it operates. You can't have one without the other and be able to have Apple's premiums.

If it was all about the way it looks, the iPhone phenomenon would have been more like the Moto RAZR. Essentially a fad. Obviously it is not that.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Sorry but nobody in the real world cares about this technical stuff. It's only geeks like us that take an interest.

If it doesn't look any different it wont attract the wow factor among potential buyers. Great looking new smartphones are coming out every day and Android is storming the market. We need more choice. By all means keep the iPhone 4 on sale and update it but please please bring out an all new iPhone 5 with a hot new design.

Yes, but the original basis was a technical comparison, so this response was appropriate.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

At least not the current generation device in iPad 2. Why? Pretty simple really it draws to much power.

The iPad 2 has the same battery size as the iPad 1 and basically has the same battery life with the same IPS screen, all while sitting in a thinner chassis. Doesn't this imply that the A5 has the same power characteristics as the A4?

If it is a problem with packaging of the A5, going to a 40 nm (a half node move from current 45 nm) would probably be fine, and they wouldn't have to wait for 28/32 nm production to ramp up

Quote:

In fact I have a suspicion that the reason the iPhones didn't debut earlier is in fact related to the chips not being ready. The lack of iOS 5 is part of the equation but iOS 5 isn't needed to debut new hardware. So if the next iPhone does have an "A5" in it I really think it will be a process shrunk version. Otherwise it will be a whole new chip.

It could be any manner of things, from Apple wanting to change iPhone, iPad, iPhone update cycles to better align with the Christmas quarter, iOS 5/iCloud being late, or just late hardware and it doesn't have to be the A5 SOC. It could a be new display, it could be a new camera module, or it could be resistors/capacitors for all we know. It's convenient to think it is the A5, but as far as I can tell, the A5 is perfectly suitable for the iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

...but as far as I can tell, the A5 is perfectly suitable for the iPhone.

Suitable in power usage but not in size. Note the differences in chip dimensions between the A4 and A5. They might be shrinking the A5 or they might be shrinking/combining other chips so they don't have to. Either way, those possible reasons are directly related to the unsuitably of simply dropping in an A5.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Suitable in power usage but not in size. Note the differences in chip dimensions between the A4 and A5. They might be shrinking the A5 or they might be shrinking/combining other chips so they don't have to. Either way, those possible reasons are directly related to the unsuitably of simply dropping in an A5.

The die size is more than twice as large, but the packaging size isn't. Moreover, Apple doesn't even have to have the same packaging between A5 SOCs for iPad and A5 SOCs for iPhone/iPod. But I don't think Apple has to do that. The A4 package is 14.1x14.1 mm. The A5 package is 16.7x14.3 mm. These are forensic measurements. Apple obviously will have the size 3 decimals accurate.

If you recall the layout of the iPhone 4 where the PCB is laid out on the long side of the device with a right angle leg along top. The PCB layout implies that the A5 fits because the short side of the A5 package is basically the same length as the square A4 package. They just have to squeeze the components on the long side and make room for 3 x 14 mm^2 of area on the PCB. I think that is perfectly doable.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Seems more likely that the rounded version floating around.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

RIM has many, many different designs and different models. Apple, however has very few - usually one or two.

Huge difference.

No.

Except for the failed Storm and a weird flip-phone pretty much every Blackberry has the same basic design and has for years. You're dreaming if you think otherwise.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Mainly because my iPad solves a lot of my mobile computing needs so data on iPhone is kinda redundant.

I say kinda redundant because there are times when having access to the net is a very good thing even on the iPhone. However "most" of the time I'm near WiFi so when that facility is needed 3G isn't.

The whole idea of an iPhone that is free of a data plan has turned over in my mind constantly. Sometimes it seems to make all the sense in the world other times I'm reluctant to believe it would do the job. In the end the goal is to lower the overall monthly bill. To that end I'm far less likely to give up my 3G iPad.

same here. no need for data on phone but i have my ipod touch in one pocket & my dumb-phone in another. i only need a phone to talk & text and have no need for data.

this new case obviously looks like a modified ip4. the tapered thin design (if real device) probably wouldnt fit a dual mode chipset, a5 and battery, which makes me hope that would be a basic version that i could maybe buy outright for a few hundred and activate without data plan.