Hurricane Irene prompts weekend shutdown of four NYC Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New York City is evacuating 250,000 low-lying coastal areas and closing its subway system over the weekend, prompting Apple to shutdown at least four of its retail stores as well.

City mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered the evacuation and transit shutdown in anticipation of Irene, stating "You only have to look at the weather maps to understand how big this storm is and how unique it is, and it?s heading basically for us."

The storm has similarly canceled a variety of events over the weekend from Broadway shows to ballgames to concerts and an outdoor film festival at Lincoln Center.

Subways have been shut down out of fears that high winds could rock cars off the tracks when operating above the surface. The transit shutdown would have a major impact on Apple Store employees' commute, and also impede customers' ability to get around in the dense, transit friendly city.

Four Apple Store locations in New York City have confirmed they will be closed for the weekend: SoHo, Staten Island, Upper West Side, West 14th.

Update: Apple has announced on its website that its flagship Fifth Avenue will be closed beginning Saturday, Aug. 27. "We look forward to reopening Monday," the store's page reads. The Fifth Avenue store (pictured below) is not located within the coastal evacuation zone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    What exactly is an "outdoor tim festival at Lincoln Center"?? Will Tim Cook be there?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...The Fifth Avenue store (pictured below) is not located within the costal evacuation zone.

That's not the Fifth Avenue store -- not any more.

I wonder what will happen to the construction though. 120mph can be testing even for finished buildings.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Um, yeahhhh. Probably wasn't too smart making stores out of glass.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Sooooo much username-related topical humor, so little time.

And your post is completely uninformed, but that's another issue.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sooooo much username-related topical humor, so little time.

And your post is completely uninformed, but that's another issue.

While glass is indeed lovely, I find it an illogical choice to make walls, ceilings and flights of stairs out of.

I also find it a bizarre choice to make the back of the iPhone 4 out of. And considering how many people are wallking around with cracked iPhones, I would expect a redesign will be forthcoming.

As for being uninformed, we'll see what happens if 70 mph winds hit the city tomorrow.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

...And considering how many people are wallking around with cracked iPhones...

Or how about you just NOT drop a six hundred dollar device?

I don't get it. Why do you think it's acceptable to treat an iPhone the same way you'd treat a VX5300?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Or how about you just NOT drop a six hundred dollar device?

I don't get it. Why do you think it's acceptable to treat an iPhone the same way you'd treat a VX5300?

9/10 of all iPhones that I see are either cracked or put in a disgusting rubber case. Such a pity for the beautiful design.

Most works of art aren't supposed to be handled on daily basis.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

9/10 of all iPhones that I see are either cracked or put in a disgusting rubber case. Such a pity for the beautiful design.

And zero of the iPhones I've seen are cracked, dented, smashed, or otherwise damaged.

Quote:

Most works of art aren't supposed to be handled on daily basis.

Most people don't have the manual dexterity of a llama, either.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:

And zero of the iPhones I've seen are cracked, dented, smashed, or otherwise damaged.

So you've NEVER seen a damaged iPhone? Wow! You don't go out much, do you?

How about those ugly bumpers?

Quote:

Most people don't have the manual dexterity of a llama, either.

So you've NEVER dropped anything fragile? Wow! You don't do much, do you?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

So you've NEVER seen a damaged iPhone? Wow! You don't go out much, do you?

I just don't live in Let's-see-how-much-damage-we-can-do-to-our-expensive-possessions-ville.

Quote:

So you've NEVER dropped anything fragile? Wow! You don't do much, do you?

If that's not moron-bait, I don't know what is.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Those stores are safer than my home.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

If that's not moron-bait, I don't know what is.

Guilty as charged, but I could say the same about your claims. I find it highly unlikely that you don't understand how impractically fragile the iPhone 4 is. Not everyone who drops their phone is clumsy as a llama. It just happens -- and where I live, people walk along hard pavements a lot.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Guilty as charged, but I could say the same about your claims. I find it highly unlikely that you don't understand how impractically fragile the iPhone 4 is. Not everyone who drops their phone is clumsy as a llama. It just happens -- and where I live, people walk along hard pavements a lot.

Oh, sure, I agree that the iPhone 4 is impractically fragile; I can get where you're getting that. I probably wouldn't trust an iPhone 4 to be dropped more than a single time without some sort of issue and I definitely think they need to go to a LiquidMetal back for the thing.

But people ought to be more careful. You wouldn't be careless with a?

?I'm trying to think of something else made of glass that people often carry around and it's? Oh, you wouldn't drop your diabetes machine. That's something of a poor analogy as an iPhone isn't necessary for you to stay alive, but when a lot of people behave as though they couldn't survive without their cell phones, they ought to be treating their cellphones with the respect you'd give to something life-essential.

Or maybe that's too much of a logical leap.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    maguromaguro Posts: 65member
    Quote:

prompting Apple to shutdown at least four of its retail stores

employees' commute

not located within the costal evacuation zone.

As with another post, he already fixed one typo ("tim" festival), but missed others.

The word shutdown is a noun, but shut down is a verb phrase. He gets some right but others wrong within the same article.

Should be employees' commutes

coastal

AI, please do something about this problem. This is basic journalism.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Well, you think that there are 57 states and you also think that Austrian is a language, so what do you know?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

New York City is evacuating 250,000 low-lying coastal areas closing

NYC has more than 250,000 areas let alone that many low-lying areas?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

You fool, the panes of glass rotate to let the air blow right through. Don't you think jobs would have envisioned that people may want to pick up a 3G iPad in a hurricane to know where they end up after the wind takes them on a magical and revolutionary journey?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Yes, it's probably due more to the subway shutting down at noon than anything else. The grocery store near me is shutting down tomorrow morning, a good 8 hours before the storm is anywhere near NYC. So the mayor orders 250,000 people to go somewhere else, and the governor shuts down the only way most people in the city have to get anywhere else without walking. Most of us don't have cars here. It's about $400/month just to park it in most parts of Manhattan.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    these articles are absurd. lets stop incorporating apple into every single event that ever takes place. the story about hurricane irene is not apple related. lets give the people who live in these communities a little more respect because they are about to go through a terrible hurricane.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

these articles are absurd. lets stop incorporating apple into every single event that ever takes place. the story about hurricane irene is not apple related. lets give the people who live in these communities a little more respect because they are about to go through a terrible hurricane.

Well I think the irene just wanted to check out the apple store.