99-cent TV show rentals quietly removed from Apple TV, iTunes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Features subject to change without notice. I'm sure it's in the Apple TV terms of service, but how about the advertisements?

“iTunes customers have shown they overwhelmingly prefer buying TV shows." A likely excuse.
  • Reply 42 of 96
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I can't ever remember renting a TV show, movies yes TV shows no.

The only TV shows that I've purchased, usually by a season, are ones that I take an interest in and likely would view more than once. Otherwise what is the point?

Movies are different as I can have every thing from a DVD, a rental to an iTunes download.
  • Reply 43 of 96
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Features subject to change without notice. I'm sure it's in the Apple TV terms of service, but how about the advertisements?

?iTunes customers have shown they overwhelmingly prefer buying TV shows." A likely excuse.

Care to offer any reasons Apple would do this just to be dicks?
  • Reply 44 of 96
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And yeah, it is nice how smoothly you can switch between devices. I started watching a documentary on my main machine a few days ago, and then I suddenly felt like taking a bath, so I just switched over to the iPad and finished watching it while relaxing in the tub.

In case you worry about dunking it, the iPad fits perfectly into a gallon size zip-lock bag, and the interface is not impeded by the plastic. Try doing that with a laptop!
  • Reply 45 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I can't ever remember renting a TV show, movies yes TV shows no.

The only TV shows that I've purchased, usually by a season, are ones that I take an interest in and likely would view more than once. Otherwise what is the point?

Movies are different as I can have every thing from a DVD, a rental to an iTunes download.

You indirectly make a very interesting point: people already know they're supposed to rent movies; there is no precedence for renting episodic content.

In other words, renting TV episodes is a new thing, and ATV tested those waters. I'm not surprised here either.
  • Reply 46 of 96
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

It could be a precursor to a new service coming.

I agree. I'm guessing they want to take Netflix on directly and will offer the same or lower monthly unlimited streaming movie pricing.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    So we are supposed to strictly buy and not rent TV episodes. Sounds reasonable given the lack of success of the rental model. But would it be so hard for Apple to make an announcement before abruptly ending the rental feature? They do so many things that are customer-friendly and neglect quite a few actions that could be.

Buying TV episodes is a bit incompatible with ATV, isn't it? With its limited storage, it is intended to be a streaming device. For now, you would have to buy and store it on your computer, and view it on ATV via the home network? Is there an alternative until they make videos available via iCloud (which I believe is not yet a streaming service?)?

All to say, Apple might have a master plan to improve the so-called living room experience but it sure isn't sharing with us yet. Oh well, it's not anyone else has got this quite licked yet.
  • Reply 48 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

In case you worry about dunking it, the iPad fits perfectly into a gallon size zip-lock bag, and the interface is not impeded by the plastic. Try doing that with a laptop!

A capacitance touch screen is not affected by a layer of plastic? Really? I'm surprised.

Have to test this ... let me take a bath and get back to you.
  • Reply 49 of 96
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    So is this thing still worthless in the UK? We don't have iTunes in the Cloud yet, but then we didn't have TV Show rentals either. Just seems like Apple's done the job for the US version and then just chucked it out the door internationally.
  • Reply 50 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And you re-watch TV shows... how often?

Most TV content is disposable. Building a business model on buying it is silly.

Most quality content (HBO, PBS, etc) is usually available eventually for purchase.

In a family, watching the same show at different times would not be uncommon - i.e. it's not a matter of re-watching. They would do boffo business if they did sell episodes for $.99. Of course, the rights holders have a different perspective.
  • Reply 51 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

So is this thing still worthless in the UK? We don't have iTunes in the Cloud yet, but then we didn't have TV Show rentals either. Just seems like Apple's done the job for the US version and then just chucked it out the door internationally.

Those bastards - they only seem to care about American customers. What are they? An American company or something?
  • Reply 52 of 96
    Ha take that, Android! We're gonna rule you, yes!

No more TV-Shows for 99c! Beat that! Yes!
  • Reply 53 of 96
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And you re-watch TV shows... how often?

Most TV content is disposable. Building a business model on buying it is silly.

Most quality content (HBO, PBS, etc) is usually available eventually for purchase.

My kids rewatch episodes of all 4 seasons of big bang theory, all 6 seasons of how I met your mother and cougar town amongst others. It depends on the programme but comedy shows are easily rewatched.

I used to use the PS3 for streaming content from my iMac. I bought an Apple TV to use with my iPad 2 and after using it for streaming I converted all of my TV shows and movies and added them to iTunes. That's over 1400 shows and movies. I bought a program called ivI pro from south pole software which converts the video, grabs the meta data and album art then slaps it in iTunes. Saved me loads of time.
  • Reply 54 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Care to offer any reasons Apple would do this just to be dicks?

Maybe not just to be dicks. Maybe despite it making them dicks?
  • Reply 55 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Maybe not just to be dicks. Maybe despite it making them dicks?

Maybe ... likely. Arrogance has always been part of their swagger.

On the other hand, are formal announcements for this sort of change a thing of the past?
  • Reply 56 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Does Netflix for Apple TV have a more limited selection than regular Netflix?

I have Netflix and I think that it's pretty good, especially for $8 a month.

It's the same as the version via Safari on the Mac. I agree it is really good for the price. I am enjoying both the movies and all the TV series we never saw. Never watch regular TV any more and I use CNN on iPad for news when needed.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    I don't believe that they discontinued it because it's unused. That's not a good enough reason to discontinue it (if it's there, not being used, it's not hurting anyone, and it's obviously not unused). More to the point, it's not unused! I like renting TV shows! Who wants to buy stuff you're never going to watch again when you can rent it cheaper? What a shame (unless it's a precursor to streaming).
  • Reply 58 of 96
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

Having 3 Apple TV's in my house... I used the tv show rentals all the time... :-/.. maybe I was the only one doing so? Crud, this sucks.

I have 3 in my house and an extra one "ready to go" with a spare airport express for travel.

While I do rent movies, I have never rented a TV show. I consider it worth the extra buck to buy it.

Thompson
  • Reply 59 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

It would be too bad if it were for lack of sales. These things need to be in place so that eventually there will be a point of critical mass and we can drop cable TV. I look forward to the day that television is just another internet service. If cable companies would at least allow us to watch TV and on-demand on our iPads and computers it would be a good start though.

I had actually rented TV shows on occasion even though I get them for "free" on U-Verse so I could watch on my iPad or MacBook AIr. Spending a dollar once in a while feels like nothing when you spend $150 a month on cable. Kinda wish I got more for that $150 though.

It only costs two bucks to buy the same shows, and there was a much larger catalogue for purchase.

So, meh, I won't miss the 99 cent price point for rental.

Thompson
  • Reply 60 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I became quickly aware of this about 3 weeks ago when I was looking to rent the first episode of Thundercats and noticed that I couldn't find a single 99¢ TV show rental.

I'm pretty pissed about this because it was a selling feature that I used to validate it as a purchase in our household and now it is gone. We got rid of our cable because we bought an Apple TV 2 and figured we would rent the shows we wanted to see.

Please don't flame me on this but isn't this sort of bait and switch sort of illegal? They have taken a key feature away from a product.

Only 2 networks were doing the 99 cent rental thing. How big of a blow to your common practices could it be? You can still buy the same shows - and more - for 2 bucks. Are you really that pissed over this? How many shows were you renting - and only from those networks too?

Thompson